Fuji dominates P&S quality

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Dec 6, 2006

  2. "Rich" <> wrote:

    > There may be no more bridge cameras. Metal bodied with 2/3rds or
    > better sensors, but as far as P&S's are concerned, you cannot beat
    > Fuji.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS6000fd/page14.asp

    "Class-leading high ISO performance; might not be fantastic, but it's the
    best you'll get"

    That's called "damning with faint praise".

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Dec 7, 2006

  3. Rich

    Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > There may be no more bridge cameras. Metal bodied with 2/3rds or
    > better sensors, but as far as P&S's are concerned, you cannot beat
    > Fuji.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS6000fd/page14.asp

    For sure Fuji is one of the top brands for quality and performance

    BUT, i still put them behind Canon, who without doubt are # 1

    K202
    , Dec 7, 2006
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    > > There may be no more bridge cameras. Metal bodied with 2/3rds or
    > > better sensors, but as far as P&S's are concerned, you cannot beat
    > > Fuji.
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS6000fd/page14.asp

    > "Class-leading high ISO performance; might not be fantastic, but it's the
    > best you'll get"
    >
    > That's called "damning with faint praise".
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Well, compared to a DSLR, no, but if they can produce 400 ISO images
    without too much noise and very little NR smear, they are way ahead of
    most P&S cameras out there.
    Rich, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Rich

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    >> There may be no more bridge cameras. Metal bodied with 2/3rds or
    >> better sensors, but as far as P&S's are concerned, you cannot beat
    >> Fuji.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS6000fd/page14.asp

    > "Class-leading high ISO performance; might not be fantastic, but it's the
    > best you'll get"
    >
    > That's called "damning with faint praise".

    David, you wouldn't happen to be a lawyer in disguise, eh?

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Dec 7, 2006
  6. > Well, compared to a DSLR, no, but if they can produce 400 ISO images
    > without too much noise and very little NR smear, they are way ahead of
    > most P&S cameras out there.

    It would be nice if they'd consider dynamic range, not just noise. You can
    take a camera that's got great high-ISO capabilities (like the Rebel XT350)
    and get phenomenal photos at 800 & 1600... if you shoot the right things.
    But shadow detail & highlight clipping are the areas where you fall short.
    Same thing happens with cameras like the F30 (and the F10 before it).
    Amazing capabilities compared to most others, but you don't get something
    for nothing. Most (not all) cameras will deliver their best results at their
    lowest ISO setting.

    --
    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Dec 7, 2006
  7. Rich

    Guest Guest

    >David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >> "Rich" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > There may be no more bridge cameras. Metal bodied with 2/3rds or
    >> > better sensors, but as far as P&S's are concerned, you cannot beat
    >> > Fuji.

    I will not buy a product that uses
    proprietory memory cards, or batterys.

    <rj>
    Guest, Dec 7, 2006
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    <RJ> wrote:

    > >David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > I will not buy a product that uses
    > proprietory memory cards, or batterys.
    >

    > <rj>

    You'll never own a DSLR then?
    Rich, Dec 7, 2006
  9. > I will not buy a product that uses
    > proprietory memory cards, or batterys.

    I used to think that way... but as soon as memory cards (even "proprietary"
    cards like XD) got cheap enough, what difference does it make? If the
    combination of camera plus memory card plus two proprietary batteries falls
    within the budget, why not?

    It's not as if you're going to have a digital camera that outlasts the
    availability of the memory card it uses (and even if it did, as long as you
    don't lose the card, does it really matter, as long as you still have a way
    of reading the data off of it?).

    As for batteries, I was a firm believer than anything other than AA NiMH was
    a seriously bad idea. But then you got cameras like the Fuji F30 that gets
    500+ shots from one charge, and again, unless the batteries are going to
    disappear, what's the problem? Sure, you could end up stuck someplace
    without electricity and no way to recharge, but at 500+ shots, it's not the
    big deal it used to be. You can generally plan around that.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA