    additional cost over the Fuji. What other camera would you suggest in
    the price range.

    Thanks Denis

    Denis, Aug 21, 2007

  2. "Denis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which of these camaras is a better buy and is the Canon worth the
    > additional cost over the Fuji. What other camera would you suggest in
    > the price range.
    >
    > Thanks Denis

    There are some unknowns. How do you plan on using the camera? What type
    of photography are you interested in? It's hard to say. Generally
    speaking, the Canon or any DSLR offers greater flexibility in the long run
    but at a higher cost. I have a few DSLRs and also the Fuji S9100 which is
    what the S9600 is sold as in the USA. It's a nice camera, it does pretty
    good video which the Canon doesn't do. It has a good zoom range and it's
    all in one package. I bought it to bring on a two week tour to Italy
    because the prospect of my wife carrying a DSLR and bag of lenses (I had my
    own) did not look good. The Fuji put it all in one light-weight camera that
    delivers good image quality at an attractive price - $ 385.00 US. The Canon
    will no doubt give you better image quality, particularly at higher ISO
    setting which you'll need in low light. The Fuji has a smaller sensor and
    packing those 9 megapixels in that smaller sensor will yield more noise than
    you'll see from the Canon.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Denis

    Denis Guest

    On Aug 21, 7:37 pm, Denis <> wrote:
    > Which of these camaras is a better buy and is the Canon worth the
    > additional cost over the Fuji. What other camera would you suggest in
    > the price range.
    >
    > Thanks Denis

    I want an all round begineers camera that will alst the test of time.
    Really I am looking for a good camera competivly priced.A one for
    family pictures and general use.

    Denis

    Denis, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Denis

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Denis <> wrote:

    >> Which of these camaras is a better buy and is the Canon worth the
    >> additional cost over the Fuji. What other camera would you suggest in
    >> the price range.
    >>

    > I want an all round begineers camera that will alst the test of time.
    > Really I am looking for a good camera competivly priced.A one for
    > family pictures and general use.

    The battery on the 350D will probably last no longer than 3-4 years.
    At least the Fuji S9500 takes AA batteries, which will almost certainly
    remain in production for > 50 years into the future. I don't know
    about the S9600. Or wait for the S8000fd, which takes SD memory cards.
    My prediction is that xD memory won't endure another decade.

    All above cameras should be approachable by a beginner. You might
    wind up paying extra for additional lenses on the Canon 350D.

    If you want a camera to "last the test of time" you might want to
    look at film SLRs, especially used. Great bargains.

    Bill Tuthill, Aug 22, 2007
  5. Denis

    Jimington Guest

    On 21 Aug 2007 17:32:00 -0700, Bill Tuthill <>
    wrote:

    >Denis <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Which of these camaras is a better buy and is the Canon worth the
    >>> additional cost over the Fuji. What other camera would you suggest in
    >>> the price range.
    >>>

    >> I want an all round begineers camera that will alst the test of time.
    >> Really I am looking for a good camera competivly priced.A one for
    >> family pictures and general use.

    >The battery on the 350D will probably last no longer than 3-4 years.
    >At least the Fuji S9500 takes AA batteries, which will almost certainly
    >remain in production for > 50 years into the future. I don't know
    >about the S9600. Or wait for the S8000fd, which takes SD memory cards.
    >My prediction is that xD memory won't endure another decade.

    I think you may be right about xD but the S9600 also takes CF memory
    and that's cheap and looks like having a long life.
    The S9600 and the Canon may be both a bit more advanced than just a
    beginners camera. I think the S9600 suffers from packing too many
    pixels into its 8mm*6mm sensor and the high number ISO noise is a bit
    higher than i'd like. The lesser 6 megapixel variants of the sensor
    are better in that respect.
    The S8000fd may well be worth a look at and i'm looking forward to
    reviews of it.

    >All above cameras should be approachable by a beginner. You might
    >wind up paying extra for additional lenses on the Canon 350D.

    That's a hassle with all SLRs and combined with the dust worry is a
    reason why i've not bought a dSLR yet, although i'd love to have the
    extra quality a larger sensor gives.
    I ended up buying a S9600 because i wanted a non-SLR that was close to
    their quality, I think i got close.

    >If you want a camera to "last the test of time" you might want to
    >look at film SLRs, especially used. Great bargains.

    I can't see why anybody would buy a film camera, their day has passed.
    But then so has vinyl records day yet some people still use them, and
    many people still watch analogue TV even though its quality is less
    than digital.

    Jim.
    http://inghamwebcam.com/
    My dull website.

    Jimington, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Denis

    Guest

    , Aug 22, 2007
  7. "Denis" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 21, 7:37 pm, Denis <> wrote:
    >> Which of these camaras is a better buy and is the Canon worth the
    >> additional cost over the Fuji. What other camera would you suggest in
    >> the price range.
    >>
    >> Thanks Denis

    > I want an all round begineers camera that will alst the test of time.
    > Really I am looking for a good camera competivly priced.A one for
    > family pictures and general use.
    >
    > Denis

    I wouldn't consider the Fuji or Canon as "beginner's" cameras but a beginner
    can certainly use them in the auto modes.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Aug 23, 2007