FTP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger Dewhurst, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
    machine.

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Roger Dewhurst

    EMB Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
    > machine.

    Firezilla
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net
    EMB, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
    > machine.

    You could just point your browser at the ftp site:

    ftp://myftp.site.com

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Roger Dewhurst

    Wayne Sallee Guest

    EMB wrote on 8/8/2007 5:18 PM:
    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    >> Windows 95 machine.

    > Firezilla
    > http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

    There's no fire in filezilla :)
    Also another one I use is Cupertino

    Wayne Sallee

    Wayne Sallee, Aug 8, 2007
  5. Roger Dewhurst

    Mark C Guest

    "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in

    > Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    > Windows 95 machine.

    Some of these are free:
    http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/FTP_Clients.htm

    FlashFXP is good (and shareware), but the version I have (2.1) is
    just nags and still works. I don't know if the current version just
    nags.

    WS_FTP LE is free and OK and can be found still:
    http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=wsftp

    Internet Explorer is free and is also an FTP client!
    Mark C, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Roger Dewhurst

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 9, 9:01 am, "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote:
    > Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
    > machine.

    Your favourite WWW browser will do the trick - just give an ftp style
    url such as

    ftp://ftp.agwfan.com

    Or grab a file with

    ftp://ftp.agwfan.com/public/mannfan.doc

    ;-)
    JohnO, Aug 9, 2007
  7. Roger Dewhurst

    Allistar Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows
    > 95 machine.

    So you mean an FTP client or an FTP server?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  8. Roger Dewhurst

    peterwn Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
    > machine.

    Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
    you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
    computer.
    peterwn, Aug 9, 2007
  9. Roger Dewhurst

    Bongo Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:00:23 +1200, peterwn wrote:

    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
    >> machine.
    >>

    > Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
    > you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
    > computer.

    So that's a *program* huh, this "Linux / Gnome"?

    OP's: X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138

    So helpful.
    Bongo, Aug 9, 2007
  10. Roger Dewhurst

    EMB Guest

    Wayne Sallee wrote:
    > EMB wrote on 8/8/2007 5:18 PM:
    >> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    >>> Windows 95 machine.

    >> Firezilla
    >> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

    > There's no fire in filezilla :)
    > Also another one I use is Cupertino

    Correct - I was having a bad morning.

    Also if you're using Firefox the fireftp extension is pretty good.
    EMB, Aug 9, 2007
  11. EMB wrote:
    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    >> Windows 95 machine.

    > Firezilla
    > http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

    FireFTP add in for Firefox, it is neat
    collector«NZ, Aug 9, 2007
  12. Roger Dewhurst

    Miguel Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:00:23 +1200, peterwn wrote:

    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    >> Windows 95 machine.
    >>

    > Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
    > you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
    > computer.

    Hello Peter...If it's not too much trouble can you expand on that please.

    I understand the "everything's a folder" bit of Linux but not how you'd
    bypass an FTP program. Is it something similar to smb://distant/FTP/site

    Google keywords would be fine.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Aug 9, 2007
  13. Roger Dewhurst

    Allistar Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:00:23 +1200, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    >>> Windows 95 machine.
    >>>

    >> Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
    >> you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
    >> computer.

    > Hello Peter...If it's not too much trouble can you expand on that please.
    >
    > I understand the "everything's a folder" bit of Linux but not how you'd
    > bypass an FTP program. Is it something similar to smb://distant/FTP/site
    >
    > Google keywords would be fine.

    Peter is probably referring to either KIOSlaves in KDE, of the ability to
    mount a remote folder (of type "ftp"). Google for "Linux mount" or "FTP
    KIOSlave" for more information

    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  14. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Peter is probably referring to either KIOSlaves in KDE, of the ability to
    > mount a remote folder (of type "ftp"). Google for "Linux mount" or "FTP
    > KIOSlave" for more information

    By the way, note that you should only be using FTP for anonymous (i.e.
    public) downloads. If you need to authenticate, then FTP is fundamentally
    insecure, since it sends plain-text passwords over the connection. In that
    case, use SFTP (part of SSH) instead.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9, 2007
  15. Roger Dewhurst

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Allistar
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter is probably referring to either KIOSlaves in KDE, of the ability to
    >> mount a remote folder (of type "ftp"). Google for "Linux mount" or "FTP
    >> KIOSlave" for more information

    > By the way, note that you should only be using FTP for anonymous (i.e.
    > public) downloads. If you need to authenticate, then FTP is fundamentally
    > insecure, since it sends plain-text passwords over the connection. In that
    > case, use SFTP (part of SSH) instead.

    Yes indeed. I often do FTP over a forwarded SSH port, giving the same
    benefit.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  16. Roger Dewhurst

    peterwn Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:00:23 +1200, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
    >>> Windows 95 machine.
    >>>

    >> Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
    >> you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
    >> computer.

    > Hello Peter...If it's not too much trouble can you expand on that please.

    Gnome provides GUI interfaces for this purpose (I use Gnome under Debian
    Etch for almost everything). Assuming the 'distant' computer has the
    appropriate 'server' end software running, and appropriate settings you
    can interact with any of the usual modes ie smb, ftp, secure ftp, scp,
    etc. The GUI interface invokes the corresponding 'client' software. A
    password if needed can be entered on each occasion or kept on the Gnome
    'keyring'. Naturally you would use the most secure method - I use scp
    if available on the distant machine. It is brilliant.

    All needed software is on the Debian Etch first DVD and most if not all
    on the first CD.
    peterwn, Aug 9, 2007
  17. Roger Dewhurst

    Allistar Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Miguel wrote:

    >>> Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
    >>> you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
    >>> computer.

    >> Hello Peter...If it's not too much trouble can you expand on that please.

    > Gnome provides GUI interfaces for this purpose (I use Gnome under Debian
    > Etch for almost everything). Assuming the 'distant' computer has the
    > appropriate 'server' end software running, and appropriate settings you
    > can interact with any of the usual modes ie smb, ftp, secure ftp, scp,
    > etc. The GUI interface invokes the corresponding 'client' software. A
    > password if needed can be entered on each occasion or kept on the Gnome
    > 'keyring'. Naturally you would use the most secure method - I use scp
    > if available on the distant machine. It is brilliant.
    >
    > All needed software is on the Debian Etch first DVD and most if not all
    > on the first CD.

    I have noticed FTP is much faster than scp for downloading large files. And
    this isn't a CPU constraint - the machines at both ends are powerful
    enough. E.g. I can FTP a file from a server at 600kB/s, but the same file
    from the same server using scp would only be about 250kB/s. Maybe the scp
    protocol sends smaller chunks, so more replies need to be sent, and on a
    80ms latency connection could explain the difference. I wouldn't have
    thought so though.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  18. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter is probably referring to either KIOSlaves in KDE, of the ability
    >>> to mount a remote folder (of type "ftp"). Google for "Linux mount" or
    >>> "FTP KIOSlave" for more information

    >> By the way, note that you should only be using FTP for anonymous (i.e.
    >> public) downloads. If you need to authenticate, then FTP is fundamentally
    >> insecure, since it sends plain-text passwords over the connection. In
    >> that case, use SFTP (part of SSH) instead.

    > Yes indeed. I often do FTP over a forwarded SSH port, giving the same
    > benefit.

    Wouldn't it be simpler to just use SFTP?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9, 2007
  19. Roger Dewhurst

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Allistar
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> By the way, note that you should only be using FTP for anonymous (i.e.
    >>> public) downloads. If you need to authenticate, then FTP is
    >>> fundamentally insecure, since it sends plain-text passwords over the
    >>> connection. In that case, use SFTP (part of SSH) instead.

    >> Yes indeed. I often do FTP over a forwarded SSH port, giving the same
    >> benefit.

    > Wouldn't it be simpler to just use SFTP?

    Yes, but I don't administer the remote server and there's no SFTP server
    running. I do have SSH access though.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  20. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:

    >>> Yes indeed. I often do FTP over a forwarded SSH port, giving the same
    >>> benefit.

    >> Wouldn't it be simpler to just use SFTP?

    > Yes, but I don't administer the remote server and there's no SFTP server
    > running. I do have SSH access though.

    Yes, but SFTP is a standard feature of SSH.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9, 2007