FTP vs. TFTP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JR, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    Greetings all,

    I know that FTP rides on TCP (connection-oriented, reliable) and that TFTP
    rides on UDP (connectionless, unreliable). To me this means that the TCP
    session used for FTP conducts a three-way handshake, uses variable
    windowing, and acknowledges all packet receipt. I'm assuming that the UDP
    session for TFTP does not have acknowledgement or windowing.

    This in mind, all conditions being the same except for the use of FTP or
    TFTP; why would it take longer to transfer a file using TFTP than it would
    for that same file with FTP?

    To this point I have been told that the TFTP actually DOES use
    acknowledgements and that the difference is that it does not have the
    capability to use windowing. I'm not quite convinced that this is correct.
    Everything I can find states that UDP does not acknowledge. I have not
    actually found anything that states that TFTP does not use some sort of
    "unreliable" acknowledgement, but I know that it rides on UDP, therefore my
    conclusion is that there is no acknowledgement associated with TFTP.

    Does anybody have any information to the contrary, or any evidence that
    supports either side of this discussion?

    TIA,
    JR
    JR, Aug 16, 2004

  2. In article <EgUTc.11372$>,
    "JR" <> wrote:

    > To this point I have been told that the TFTP actually DOES use
    > acknowledgements and that the difference is that it does not have the
    > capability to use windowing. I'm not quite convinced that this is correct.
    > Everything I can find states that UDP does not acknowledge. I have not
    > actually found anything that states that TFTP does not use some sort of
    > "unreliable" acknowledgement, but I know that it rides on UDP, therefore my
    > conclusion is that there is no acknowledgement associated with TFTP.

    Since UDP doesn't provide automatic acknowledgement, TFTP does it as
    part of the application protocol.

    Why don't you read the TFTP specification? I think it's only a few
    pages long.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA