FTP vs TFTP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JR, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    Greetings all,

    I know that FTP rides on TCP (connection-oriented, reliable) and that TFTP
    rides on UDP (connectionless, unreliable). To me this means that the TCP
    session used for FTP conducts a three-way handshake, uses variable
    windowing, and acknowledges all packet receipt. I'm assuming that the UDP
    session for TFTP does not have acknowledgement or windowing.

    This in mind, all conditions being the same except for the use of FTP or
    TFTP; why would it take longer to transfer a file using TFTP than it would
    for that same file with FTP?

    To this point I have been told that the TFTP actually DOES use
    acknowledgements and that the difference is that it does not have the
    capability to use windowing. I'm not quite convinced that this is correct.
    Everything I can find states that UDP does not acknowledge. I have not
    actually found anything that states that TFTP does not use some sort of
    "unreliable" acknowledgement, but I know that it rides on UDP, therefore my
    conclusion is that there is no acknowledgement associated with TFTP.

    Does anybody have any information to the contrary, or any evidence that
    supports either side of this discussion?

    TIA,
    JR
    JR, Aug 15, 2004

  2. JR

    Mirko Kulpa Guest

    JR wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I know that FTP rides on TCP (connection-oriented, reliable) and that TFTP
    > rides on UDP (connectionless, unreliable). To me this means that the TCP
    > session used for FTP conducts a three-way handshake, uses variable
    > windowing, and acknowledges all packet receipt. I'm assuming that the UDP
    > session for TFTP does not have acknowledgement or windowing.
    >
    > This in mind, all conditions being the same except for the use of FTP or
    > TFTP; why would it take longer to transfer a file using TFTP than it would
    > for that same file with FTP?

    TFTP uses a stop-and-wait-protocol an a maximum packet size of 512
    bytes. It sends 512 bytes and wait for the ack.
    FTP uses sliding windows ans bigger packets.

    So FTP is faster, especially on links with a high RTT-

    Mirko
    --
    http://uridium.net/net/guide2na - Fehlersuche in Netzwerken
    Mirko Kulpa, Aug 15, 2004

  3. JR

    Leon McCalla Guest

    Think of it this way....
    your HTTP browser request a web page at layer 4 level and TCP/IP takes care
    of delivery and acknowledgements. The end result is that you get a fast
    stream of data. (FTP is similar to this)

    TFTP requests one packet at a time similarly to the way that a command line
    ping waits for a reply before sending a second packet. The end result is a
    slow back and forth process. (it is possible to stream UDP data the way
    real-audio does but that is not what TFTP does)

    TFTP is a trade of transfer speed for simplicity and quick setup time. FTP
    is good for large file transfers or transfering groups of files. TFTP is
    usually used for loading hardware code on the fly. ie when routers are
    booted or upgraded or also for audio prompts.

    Leon
    leonmccalla at hotmail.com
    Leon McCalla, Aug 16, 2004
  4. JR

    J R Guest

    Thanks for the reply Mirko.

    J R

    J R, Aug 19, 2004
  5. JR

    J R Guest

    "TFTP requests one packet at a time similarly to the way that a command line
    ping waits for a reply before sending a second packet."

    Good example, Leon. Thanks.

    J R
    J R, Aug 19, 2004
  6. JR

    mohit.nmims

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    but what is the difference in the application of ftp and tftp?
    mohit.nmims, Feb 16, 2010
  7. JR

    bryanpalacios

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    9
    Location:
    Guatemala

    i kinda see it this way

    --- if you want to risk to get errors in your transefer u can use tftp
    --- if u want a more reliable transfer u can use ftp...:driver:
    bryanpalacios, Feb 16, 2010