FTP uploads cut off at 25MB

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
    friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this process
    worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks ago. Now,
    even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can upload "small"
    files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to upload a larger file
    I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY
    every time. Even though I've used two different FTP utilities, posted
    to two different domains I own, and used two different computers that
    are on my home network, every time I make a connection and start the
    file transfer -- only to have the transfer fail and restart when about
    25-30MB have uploaded. What is going on here??? I called a friend and
    had them upload a 95MB video file that I'd posted for them. He was able
    to post the file to my domain no problem. That makes me think it's not
    my ISP but something about my system or my modem or my firewall or
    something. I have Comcast High Speed cable internet, use a Linksys
    router, have most of my computers networked by wire (rather than
    wireless). Most of my machines run Windows 2000.
    Any clue what's causing my problem?
    WC

    WCH, Mar 23, 2006

  2. WCH

    John Holmes Guest

    WCH blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Now,
    > even though I don't think I've changed anything,

    So you are not sure about the things you've changed?

    --
    Your mother was an inadequate tart who ate worms in a padded cell.

    John Holmes, Mar 23, 2006

  3. WCH wrote:

    > I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
    > friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this
    > process worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks
    > ago. Now, even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can
    > upload "small" files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to
    > upload a larger file I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in
    > EXACTLY THE SAME WAY every time. ...

    My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web host?
    Have you deleted any of the previous files?

    Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 23, 2006
  4. WCH

    HMV Guest

    > WCH wrote:
    >
    >> I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
    >> friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this
    >> process worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks
    >> ago. Now, even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can
    >> upload "small" files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to
    >> upload a larger file I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in
    >> EXACTLY THE SAME WAY every time. ...

    > My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web host?
    > Have you deleted any of the previous files?
    >
    > Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

    That wouldn't explain why someone else can upload a 90MB file to the same
    space.

    HELPMV
    --
    Help and support with Multivision Computers

    HMV, Mar 23, 2006
  5. HMV wrote:

    >> WCH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so
    >>> a friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this
    >>> process worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks
    >>> ago. Now, even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can
    >>> upload "small" files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to
    >>> upload a larger file I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails
    >>> in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY every time. ...

    >> My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web
    >> host? Have you deleted any of the previous files?
    >>
    >> Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

    > That wouldn't explain why someone else can upload a 90MB file to the
    > same space.

    It would if there was 95MB free, but not the 100MB he said he posts. <g>

    And another thought: if others can upload to the site, maybe they have
    already filled it to its capacity. Before even posting here, I would
    have looked to see how much space was currently in use, and noted that
    in his original post.

    And no, we don't know what the available space is until the OP decides
    to tell us.

    The problem might be something esoteric, such as his local ISP has
    placed a limit on outgoing bytes.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 23, 2006
  6. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > HMV wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message

    >>> My first question is how much allotted space you have at your web
    >>> host? Have you deleted any of the previous files?
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps you have run into your limit of filespace at the host.

    >> That wouldn't explain why someone else can upload a 90MB file to the
    >> same space.

    > It would if there was 95MB free, but not the 100MB he said he posts. <g>
    >
    > And another thought: if others can upload to the site, maybe they have
    > already filled it to its capacity. Before even posting here, I would
    > have looked to see how much space was currently in use, and noted that
    > in his original post.
    >
    > And no, we don't know what the available space is until the OP decides
    > to tell us.
    >
    > The problem might be something esoteric, such as his local ISP has
    > placed a limit on outgoing bytes.

    I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
    covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while that
    this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file successfully
    from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation is 300MB and
    the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400. I'm using 80MB
    when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted the 95MB file my
    bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB out of 300+.

    My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was the
    problem. No change from that.

    WCH, Mar 24, 2006
  7. WCH wrote:

    > I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
    > covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while
    > that this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file
    > successfully from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation
    > is 300MB and the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400.
    > I'm using 80MB when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted
    > the 95MB file my bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB
    > out of 300+.
    >
    > My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was
    > the problem. No change from that.

    Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
    FileZilla is quite good, and free.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 24, 2006
  8. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > WCH wrote:
    >
    >> I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
    >> covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while
    >> that this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file
    >> successfully from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation
    >> is 300MB and the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400.
    >> I'm using 80MB when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted
    >> the 95MB file my bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB
    >> out of 300+.
    >>
    >> My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was
    >> the problem. No change from that.

    > Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
    > FileZilla is quite good, and free.
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

    SmartFTP is the FTP client I generally use. FileZilla is the second one
    I tried and the one I'm using now, with all "default" settings.
    Changing FTP client didn't make a difference in this case.

    WCH, Mar 24, 2006
  9. WCH wrote:

    > SmartFTP is the FTP client I generally use. FileZilla is the second
    > one I tried and the one I'm using now, with all "default" settings.
    > Changing FTP client didn't make a difference in this case.

    Ok then; I'm out of ideas on this one.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 24, 2006
  10. WCH

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > WCH wrote:
    >

    >>I am nowhere near my alloted space on my ISP. Great question -- I
    >>covered that when I talked to their techs. I assumed for a while
    >>that this was my ISP's fault until my buddy uploaded a 95MB file
    >>successfully from his place when I couldn't from mine. My allocation
    >>is 300MB and the techs say they don't really care if you're at 400.
    >>I'm using 80MB when I don't have any large files posted. I deleted
    >>the 95MB file my bud posted so that's where I'm at right now -- 80MB
    >>out of 300+.
    >>
    >>My ISP also reset the server my site is hosted on, in case that was
    >>the problem. No change from that.

    > Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
    > FileZilla is quite good, and free.
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

    The download of FZ itself is half as fast I as WS_FTP - maybe a problem with the mirror or with the fact that it was updated today and many people may be using it right now.

    When you say "quite good" - what do you mean?

    Rick Merrill, Mar 24, 2006
  11. Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Maybe time to try another FTP client. What do you use now?
    >> FileZilla is quite good, and free.
    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

    > The download of FZ itself is half as fast I as WS_FTP

    "half as fast I as" <g> Not quite sure I understand that. I don't have
    WS_FTP around any longer; maybe the FileZilla file size is larger?

    > - maybe a problem with the mirror or with the fact that it was updated
    > today and many people may be using it right now.

    That certainly could be true. I rarely notice download speeds as my
    cable connection is rather fast.

    > When you say "quite good" - what do you mean?

    Full-featured; easy to use; never crashes; drag-n-drop...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 24, 2006
  12. WCH

    WCH Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I routinely post roughly 100MB .mpg video files to a domain I own so a
    > friend can d/l them and watch the videos. Using SmartFTP this process
    > worked flawlessly for months and months, until a few weeks ago. Now,
    > even though I don't think I've changed anything, I can upload "small"
    > files (3,5 or 10MB) but every single time I try to upload a larger file
    > I'm unsuccessful. Further, the process fails in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY
    > every time. Even though I've used two different FTP utilities, posted
    > to two different domains I own, and used two different computers that
    > are on my home network, every time I make a connection and start the
    > file transfer -- only to have the transfer fail and restart when about
    > 25-30MB have uploaded. What is going on here??? I called a friend and
    > had them upload a 95MB video file that I'd posted for them. He was able
    > to post the file to my domain no problem. That makes me think it's not
    > my ISP but something about my system or my modem or my firewall or
    > something. I have Comcast High Speed cable internet, use a Linksys
    > router, have most of my computers networked by wire (rather than
    > wireless). Most of my machines run Windows 2000.
    > Any clue what's causing my problem?
    > WC

    PROBLEM SOLVED! At the suggestion of Comcast, I connected a computer
    directly to my cable modem, rather than to my Linksys router. It
    worked! D/l'ed a 100MB file without incident. So it's my router, which
    has worked fine for the past couple of years but now presents some
    problem. I tried flashing its firmware, without success, so I just
    replaced it. Now I'm back in business. Thanks for the feedback I
    received diagnosing this odd problem.
    WC

    WCH, Mar 25, 2006
  13. WCH wrote:

    > PROBLEM SOLVED! At the suggestion of Comcast, I connected a computer
    > directly to my cable modem, rather than to my Linksys router. It
    > worked!

    Well, that sure is weird. Never would have guessed that a router would
    stop an upload of a file.

    Is the MTU adjustable in the model you have? Try setting it a bit lower
    and see what happens. 1472 is a number frequently recommended.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 25, 2006