    Any one knows where to fin it in XP Pro please?

    Is it any good?

    Rajinder

    Rajinder Nijjhar, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Rajinder Nijjhar

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rajinder Nijjhar" <> wrote in message
    news:OQBTf.2808$H%...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Some times ago I did see FTP icon but now I am finding and can't see it.
    >
    > Any one knows where to fin it in XP Pro please?
    >
    > Is it any good?

    There is no icon (or shortcut, if that is what you really meant) for the FTP
    client in Windows XP. Why? Because the ftp.exe program is a DOS program
    you run in a DOS shell. It has no GUI, just the command line interface.

    I've haven't run across anyone that claimed that they didn't know, but do
    you know that there is the Start -> Help and Support menu item which can
    provides LOTS of help in using Windows? Did you do a search on "ftp" to see
    the description of the DOS program?

    Yes, it is a good program providing you are not infatuated with GUI
    programs. The included Windows help shows you the command-line syntax for
    quotes) after starting ftp.exe to see a list of commands, and they are
    described in the Windows-supplied help.

    If you need a GUI for an FTP program, FileZilla is free. But you'll have to
    read its help, too, and practice with it as with any other application to
    know how to use it.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Mar 20, 2006

  3. "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Rajinder Nijjhar" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Some times ago I did see FTP icon but now I am finding and can't see it.
    >>
    >> Any one knows where to fin it in XP Pro please?
    >>
    >> Is it any good?

    > There is no icon (or shortcut, if that is what you really meant) for the
    > FTP client in Windows XP. Why? Because the ftp.exe program is a DOS
    > program you run in a DOS shell. It has no GUI, just the command line
    > interface.
    >
    > I've haven't run across anyone that claimed that they didn't know, but do
    > you know that there is the Start -> Help and Support menu item which can
    > provides LOTS of help in using Windows? Did you do a search on "ftp" to
    > see the description of the DOS program?
    >
    > Yes, it is a good program providing you are not infatuated with GUI
    > programs. The included Windows help shows you the command-line syntax for
    > the quotes) after starting ftp.exe to see a list of commands, and they are
    > described in the Windows-supplied help.
    >
    > If you need a GUI for an FTP program, FileZilla is free. But you'll have
    > to read its help, too, and practice with it as with any other application
    > to know how to use it.
    >
    > --

    Thanks/

    Rajinder