FTP port open on Cisco 1841

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by syn_NOSPAM_uw, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I've got a brand new Cisco 1841 router for our SHDSL leased line, basic
    configured with nothing currently running behind it. Now I wanted to see
    what nmap (a unix scanning port tool) detects and surprisingly it
    detects that port 21 (FTP) is open as you can see here below:

    % sudo nmap <IP>

    Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-04-11 23:35
    CEST
    Interesting ports on <hostname> (<IP>):
    (The 1662 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    21/tcp open ftp

    Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11.328 seconds

    Somehow port 21 on our router's IP adresse answers but is not functional
    (no FTP service). Now haven't seen any FTP service in the router's
    configuration itself, I am wondering from where does this come and why
    is that ??? And how can I disable this without configuring an ACL ?

    Many thanks

    Regards

    syn_NOSPAM_uw, Apr 11, 2006

  2. syn_NOSPAM_uw

    Merv Guest

    what does "show ip sockets" display ?

    Merv, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Merv wrote:
    > what does "show ip sockets" display ?

    Here is the output of "show ip sockets":

    router#show ip sockets
    Proto Remote Port Local Port In Out Stat TTY OutputIF
    17 0.0.0.0 0 <external_IP> 67 0 0 2211 0
    17 --listen-- --any-- 123 0 0 1 0

    syn_NOSPAM_uw, Apr 11, 2006
  4. syn_NOSPAM_uw

    Merv Guest