    from a FAT32 device
    and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.

    Any leads appreciated.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Rick Merrill

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    >I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    > from a FAT32 device
    > and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.
    >
    > Any leads appreciated.

    What difference does the file system make? And what do you mean by "single
    file"?

    Rich Wilson, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Rick Merrill wrote:

    > I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    > from a FAT32 device
    > and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.

    Zip/tar them. FTP them. Why would FS matter?

    --
    Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >

    >>I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    >> from a FAT32 device
    >>and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.

    > Zip/tar them. FTP them. Why would FS matter?

    The files are from a video camera captured onto a
    firestore device (hard drive) - then I can connect
    the firestore via firewire to a computer (laptop)
    but the total disk used is larger than the laptop
    has available - sooooo, I want to FTP 'through' the
    laptop TO a larger disk on an FTP server, BUT I'd love
    to have it saved as a single file. The FTP clients
    I've found sofar will not let one do a copy/put many=>one

    The FAT32 limits the file size to about 1.9 gig each.

    camcorder=firewire>||(firestore)==>(too small laptop)==>(FTPServer.)
    --------25Mbps-----||---------40Mbps-----------------100Mbps----------
    (FAT32file::<1.9gig per file)-------NTFS but too small-----Linux----
    ----------------------(40gig)-------(10gig)----------(1000gig)--
    That's why I can't zip/tar the files

    Rick Merrill, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Rick Merrill

    FML Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    > from a FAT32 device
    > and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.
    >
    > Any leads appreciated.

    I don't think the FTP spec has such functionality. You can transmit
    multiple files by using MGET (or MPUT) but you will end up with the same
    number of files.

    FML, Jan 7, 2006
  6. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    FML wrote:
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >
    >> I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    >> from a FAT32 device
    >> and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.
    >>
    >> Any leads appreciated.

    > I don't think the FTP spec has such functionality. You can transmit
    > multiple files by using MGET (or MPUT) but you will end up with the same
    > number of files.

    I bet you are right. But I was hoping someone might have taught FTP to
    take the total length of the file collection and use that as the length
    to tell the server then send all the files (as binary of course).

    Rick Merrill, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Rick Merrill

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rick Merrill wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    >>> from a FAT32 device
    >>>and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.

    >> Zip/tar them. FTP them. Why would FS matter?

    > The files are from a video camera captured onto a
    > firestore device (hard drive) - then I can connect
    > the firestore via firewire to a computer (laptop)
    > but the total disk used is larger than the laptop
    > has available - sooooo, I want to FTP 'through' the
    > laptop TO a larger disk on an FTP server, BUT I'd love
    > to have it saved as a single file. The FTP clients
    > I've found sofar will not let one do a copy/put many=>one
    >
    > The FAT32 limits the file size to about 1.9 gig each.

    Joining video files isn't just a matter of sticking them end-to-end, and
    you're not going to find FTP software that can join them properly. Do you
    have any access to the FTP server... could you, for example, set up file
    sharing on it?

    Rich Wilson, Jan 7, 2006
  8. Rick Merrill

    FML Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > FML wrote:
    >
    >> Rick Merrill wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    >>> from a FAT32 device
    >>> and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.
    >>>
    >>> Any leads appreciated.

    >> I don't think the FTP spec has such functionality. You can transmit
    >> multiple files by using MGET (or MPUT) but you will end up with the
    >> same number of files.

    > I bet you are right. But I was hoping someone might have taught FTP to
    > take the total length of the file collection and use that as the length
    > to tell the server then send all the files (as binary of course).

    I've worked with a number of FTP clients and have never seen that
    capability.

    FML, Jan 7, 2006
  9. Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rick Merrill wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want an FTP client that can take a bunch of files
    >>> from a FAT32 device
    >>>and put them to a single file in an NTSF FTP Server.

    >> Zip/tar them. FTP them. Why would FS matter?

    > The files are from a video camera captured onto a firestore device (hard
    > drive) - then I can connect the firestore via firewire to a computer
    > (laptop) but the total disk used is larger than the laptop has available -
    > sooooo, I want to FTP 'through' the laptop TO a larger disk on an FTP
    > server, BUT I'd love to have it saved as a single file. The FTP clients
    > I've found sofar will not let one do a copy/put many=>one

    Good luck. Never been faced with a mess like that. :)

    > The FAT32 limits the file size to about 1.9 gig each.

    Yeah, I just stuck W2K on a spare machine to get around that limit with a
    Windows app.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2006
  10. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Zip/tar them. FTP them. Why would FS matter?

    >>The files are from a video camera captured onto a
    >>firestore device (hard drive) - then I can connect
    >>the firestore via firewire to a computer (laptop)
    >>but the total disk used is larger than the laptop
    >>has available - sooooo, I want to FTP 'through' the
    >>laptop TO a larger disk on an FTP server, BUT I'd love
    >>to have it saved as a single file. The FTP clients
    >>I've found sofar will not let one do a copy/put many=>one
    >>
    >>The FAT32 limits the file size to about 1.9 gig each.

    > Joining video files isn't just a matter of sticking them end-to-end, and
    > you're not going to find FTP software that can join them properly. Do you
    > have any access to the FTP server... could you, for example, set up file
    > sharing on it?

    These are .DV files that happen to be designed to append to one another,
    but I could be wrong ...

    It turns out that running other s/w on the server invalidates the
    warranty, bummer ... anyway, it's a Linux server ....

    Rick Merrill, Jan 8, 2006
  11. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >

    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Zip/tar them. FTP them. Why would FS matter?

    >>The files are from a video camera captured onto a firestore device (hard
    >>drive) - then I can connect the firestore via firewire to a computer
    >>(laptop) but the total disk used is larger than the laptop has available -
    >>sooooo, I want to FTP 'through' the laptop TO a larger disk on an FTP
    >>server, BUT I'd love to have it saved as a single file. The FTP clients
    >>I've found sofar will not let one do a copy/put many=>one

    > Good luck. Never been faced with a mess like that. :)
    >

    >>The FAT32 limits the file size to about 1.9 gig each.

    > Yeah, I just stuck W2K on a spare machine to get around that limit with a
    > Windows app.

    Right now we look at it and groan, someday we'll look back and laugh at
    it the piddly little files of less than a terabyte!

    Rick Merrill, Jan 8, 2006
  12. Rick Merrill

    > Rich Wilson wrote:
    >> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    >>>The files are from a video camera captured onto a
    >>>firestore device (hard drive) - then I can connect
    >>>the firestore via firewire to a computer (laptop)
    >>>but the total disk used is larger than the laptop
    >>>has available - sooooo, I want to FTP 'through' the
    >>>laptop TO a larger disk on an FTP server, BUT I'd love
    >>>to have it saved as a single file. The FTP clients
    >>>I've found sofar will not let one do a copy/put many=>one
    >>>
    >>>The FAT32 limits the file size to about 1.9 gig each.

    >> Joining video files isn't just a matter of sticking them end-to-end, and
    >> you're not going to find FTP software that can join them properly. Do you
    >> have any access to the FTP server... could you, for example, set up file
    >> sharing on it?

    > These are .DV files that happen to be designed to append to one another,
    > but I could be wrong ...

    Oh OK, I'll take your word for it.

    > It turns out that running other s/w on the server invalidates the
    > warranty, bummer ... anyway, it's a Linux server ....

    Oh great. I don't know Linux but I bet there's a command on there that can
    join files together. Can you actually physically access the server or are
    you trying to do this remotely?

    Rich Wilson, Jan 8, 2006
  13. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rich Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    >>>Joining video files isn't just a matter of sticking them end-to-end, and
    >>>you're not going to find FTP software that can join them properly. Do you
    >>>have any access to the FTP server... could you, for example, set up file
    >>>sharing on it?

    >>These are .DV files that happen to be designed to append to one another,
    >>but I could be wrong ...

    > Oh OK, I'll take your word for it.
    >

    >>It turns out that running other s/w on the server invalidates the
    >>warranty, bummer ... anyway, it's a Linux server ....

    > Oh great. I don't know Linux but I bet there's a command on there that can
    > join files together. Can you actually physically access the server or are
    > you trying to do this remotely?

    I can physically access the server ... but those penguins!!!

    Rick Merrill, Jan 9, 2006
  14. Rick Merrill

    > Rich Wilson wrote:
    >> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    >>>These are .DV files that happen to be designed to append to one another,
    >>>but I could be wrong ...

    >> Oh OK, I'll take your word for it.
    >>

    >>>It turns out that running other s/w on the server invalidates the
    >>>warranty, bummer ... anyway, it's a Linux server ....

    >> Oh great. I don't know Linux but I bet there's a command on there that
    >> can join files together. Can you actually physically access the server or
    >> are you trying to do this remotely?
    >>

    > I can physically access the server ... but those penguins!!!

    :)
    Don't worry, they won't bite. Probably.

    I'd try asking in one of the linux newsgroups - I'm sure it ought to be a
    really simple task!

    Rich Wilson, Jan 9, 2006