FTP client through ASA5520

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by RC, May 13, 2010.

  1. RC

    RC Guest

    My Cisco knowledge is pretty good, but I have to admit I've become a slave
    to the GUI on my ASA5520, so please be kind.

    I'm having a problem when I connect, or try to connect, to an outside FTP
    server. I've tried several clients and servers and it comes down to the
    clients that connect through my ASA5520, software version 7.0(6)

    Here are a couple examples;

    C:\Users\xxxxxx>ftp ftp.ca.com
    Connected to ftp.ca.com.
    220 ftp.ca.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
    User (ftp.ca.com:(none)): anonymous
    331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
    Password:
    230-You are user #15 of 4000 simultaneous users allowed.
    230 Big long banner cut out
    230 Logged in anonymously.
    ftp> ls
    550 Data connection must go to same host as control connection.
    Connection closed by remote host.
    ftp>

    And

    C:\Users\xxxxxx>ftp 71.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Connected to 71.xxx.xxx.xxx.
    220 Microsoft FTP Service
    User (71.248.168.246:(none)): xxxxxx
    331 Password required for xxxxxx.
    Password:
    230 User logged in.
    ftp> ls
    501 Server cannot accept argument.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.

    and it freezes here

    In both cases I'm already in passive mode.

    Normally I would think of this as a server or firewall (on the server side)
    problem, but testing shows that its all clients (command line, crystalFTP,
    and IE) on the inside of my network when connecting to a server outside of
    my network.

    All help is appreciated
    Thanks

    RC, May 13, 2010

  2. RC

    Brian V Guest

    "RC" <> wrote in message
    > My Cisco knowledge is pretty good, but I have to admit I've become a slave
    > to the GUI on my ASA5520, so please be kind.
    >
    > I'm having a problem when I connect, or try to connect, to an outside FTP
    > server. I've tried several clients and servers and it comes down to the
    > clients that connect through my ASA5520, software version 7.0(6)
    >
    > Here are a couple examples;
    >
    > C:\Users\xxxxxx>ftp ftp.ca.com
    > Connected to ftp.ca.com.
    > 220 ftp.ca.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
    > User (ftp.ca.com:(none)): anonymous
    > 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
    > Password:
    > 230-You are user #15 of 4000 simultaneous users allowed.
    > 230 Big long banner cut out
    > 230 Logged in anonymously.
    > ftp> ls
    > 550 Data connection must go to same host as control connection.
    > Connection closed by remote host.
    > ftp>
    >
    > And
    >
    > C:\Users\xxxxxx>ftp 71.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > Connected to 71.xxx.xxx.xxx.
    > 220 Microsoft FTP Service
    > User (71.248.168.246:(none)): xxxxxx
    > 331 Password required for xxxxxx.
    > Password:
    > 230 User logged in.
    > ftp> ls
    > 501 Server cannot accept argument.
    > 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.
    >
    > and it freezes here
    >
    > In both cases I'm already in passive mode.
    >
    > Normally I would think of this as a server or firewall (on the server
    > side) problem, but testing shows that its all clients (command line,
    > crystalFTP, and IE) on the inside of my network when connecting to a
    > server outside of my network.
    >
    > All help is appreciated
    > Thanks

    conf t
    fixup protocol ftp 21
    exit
    wr mem

    Brian V, May 13, 2010

  3. RC

    RC Guest

    "Brian V" <> wrote in message

    > "RC" <> wrote in message
    >> My Cisco knowledge is pretty good, but I have to admit I've become a
    >> slave to the GUI on my ASA5520, so please be kind.
    >>
    >> I'm having a problem when I connect, or try to connect, to an outside FTP
    >> server. I've tried several clients and servers and it comes down to the
    >> clients that connect through my ASA5520, software version 7.0(6)
    >>
    >> Here are a couple examples;
    >>
    >> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ftp ftp.ca.com
    >> Connected to ftp.ca.com.
    >> 220 ftp.ca.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
    >> User (ftp.ca.com:(none)): anonymous
    >> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
    >> Password:
    >> 230-You are user #15 of 4000 simultaneous users allowed.
    >> 230 Big long banner cut out
    >> 230 Logged in anonymously.
    >> ftp> ls
    >> 550 Data connection must go to same host as control connection.
    >> Connection closed by remote host.
    >> ftp>
    >>
    >> And
    >>
    >> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ftp 71.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >> Connected to 71.xxx.xxx.xxx.
    >> 220 Microsoft FTP Service
    >> User (71.248.168.246:(none)): xxxxxx
    >> 331 Password required for xxxxxx.
    >> Password:
    >> 230 User logged in.
    >> ftp> ls
    >> 501 Server cannot accept argument.
    >> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.
    >>
    >> and it freezes here
    >>
    >> In both cases I'm already in passive mode.
    >>
    >> Normally I would think of this as a server or firewall (on the server
    >> side) problem, but testing shows that its all clients (command line,
    >> crystalFTP, and IE) on the inside of my network when connecting to a
    >> server outside of my network.
    >>
    >> All help is appreciated
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > conf t