FTC halts Windows Messenger pop-ups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harrison, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Harrison

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=88744&SecID=2

    WASHINGTON -- The federal government is moving against a company that
    barraged computers with repeated pop-up ads.

    The Windows Messenger Service pop-up ads mostly advertised software
    that would block future pop-ups.

    At the request of the Federal Trade Commission, a federal court has
    issued a temporary restraining order against D Squared Solutions and
    two individuals.

    The FTC accuses the defendants of sending repeated messages to
    consumers -- as frequently as every 10 minutes.

    The messages instructed consumers to visit Web sites that state that
    the pop-ups could be stopped by purchasing software at a cost of $25 -
    $30.

    Regulators said that by using the Windows Messenger Service, the
    defendants caused their pop-ups to appear on computer screens even
    when consumers were not browsing the Internet.

    The FTC's Howard Beales calls the D Squared action "nothing more than
    a high-tech version of a classic scam.''
    Harrison, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Simple problem to avoid - just go to http://www.grc.com and download the
    freeware file "killthemessenger.exe" When you run the file it will disable
    the unneeded Windows Messenger Service - not to be confused with the other
    Internet Messenger. If you subsequently decide you want a network service on
    your computer accessing the Internet several thousand times a day you can
    reenable messenger just by running killthemessenger.exe again.

    Corky Cleversack, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Corky Cleversack Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <zuMqb.5392$-kc.rr.com>:

    > Simple problem to avoid - just go to http://www.grc.com and download
    > the freeware file "killthemessenger.exe" When you run the file it
    > will disable the unneeded Windows Messenger Service - not to be
    > confused with the other Internet Messenger. If you subsequently
    > decide you want a network service on your computer accessing the
    > Internet several thousand times a day you can reenable messenger
    > just by running killthemessenger.exe again.

    Why download something when you can just go to the control panel,
    then administrative tools, then services and disable the messenger
    service there?

    Besides, I don't trust Gibson that much. <G>

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Nov 7, 2003