    (None of the local FAQ's I've checked have this kind of simple stuff)

    --
    Sticky

    Sticky, Jun 18, 2006

  2. "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    news:44950162$...
    > At the moment I have 3 VCR's in different rooms and a PC TV card connected
    > to a single outside analogue aerial (actually 2 dipole aerials (1 X LF, 1
    > X UHF). I can watch or record a different channel on each device all at
    > the same time. The reception is great on 1,2,3,4 & prime.
    >
    > Do I need 4 set top boxes at $200 a piece for FTA digital?

    the FTA as far as I know will be a DVB-T Signal. There are many STB and
    Computer Cards/USB devices out there which will allow you to view it. As the
    service has not started, I guess this is the reason why no one has yet
    written anything up for it :)

    The FTA will be (as far as I can tell from the media stuff similar to
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/faq/)

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Sticky

    Zonky Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in news:449518e8$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > The FTA will be (as far as I can tell from the media stuff similar to
    > http://www.freeview.co.uk/faq/)

    Hopefully it won't be anything like UK's Digital Terrestial, and will
    commit to using 16QAM rather than 64QAM.

    Z.

    --
    Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

    BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
    http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

    Zonky, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Zonky wrote:
    > Hopefully it won't be anything like UK's Digital Terrestial, and will
    > commit to using 16QAM rather than 64QAM.

    So whats the big difference between the QAM variants?

    FYI the current DVB-T test tranmissions for TVOne show the following
    setup

    DTT-TVOne:698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:516:517:1

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 19, 2006
  5. >
    > FYI the current DVB-T test tranmissions for TVOne show the following
    > setup
    >
    > DTT-TVOne:698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:516:517:1
    >
    > Steve

    So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 19, 2006
  6. Sticky

    Dave Guest

    Transmission - In the UK a single transmission protocol was used, 64QAM. A
    16QAM mux can cope better with reception problems so in effect has a greater
    coverage area but has a smaller channel capactity. 16QAM muxes can carry 4
    TV channels and a few radio channels, 64QAM can carry 6 or 7 channels as
    well as radio. ITV Digital used 64QAM across all muxes but the reception
    problems, particularly on the weaker muxes C and D, meant that Freeview
    decided to use 16QAM on all muxes operated by the Freeview consortium (1, B,
    C and D).

    Dave, Jun 19, 2006
  7. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > > FYI the current DVB-T test tranmissions for TVOne show the following
    > > setup
    > >
    > > DTT-TVOne:698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:516:517:1
    > >
    > > Steve

    > So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

    YES if

    1. If you get your signal from Waitairua

    2. If your signal is strong enough

    There is no EPG data at the moment, and the weather last night really
    affected the signal so I don't know how strong the power for their
    multiplex is at present.

    Have a go and let me know how you get on.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 20, 2006
  8. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Transmission - In the UK a single transmission protocol was used, 64QAM. A
    > 16QAM mux can cope better with reception problems so in effect has a greater
    > coverage area but has a smaller channel capactity. 16QAM muxes can carry 4
    > TV channels and a few radio channels, 64QAM can carry 6 or 7 channels as
    > well as radio. ITV Digital used 64QAM across all muxes but the reception
    > problems, particularly on the weaker muxes C and D, meant that Freeview
    > decided to use 16QAM on all muxes operated by the Freeview consortium (1, B,
    > C and D).

    Ok you are confusing matters here by first saying they only use 64QAM
    in the uk, and then stating Freeview uses 16QAM

    Based on Winterhill in the NW of England there are 45 entries for 16QAM
    and 40 entries for 64QAM, so a reasonable mix.

    At the moment on Waiatarua transmitter has a single 64QAM multiplex but
    it only advertises 5 channels.

    tune to:
    698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_AUTO:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE
    0x0000 0x0001: pmt_pid 0x0200 TVNZ -- DTT-TVOne (running)
    0x0000 0x0002: pmt_pid 0x0210 TVNZ -- DTT-TV2 (running)
    0x0000 0x0003: pmt_pid 0x0300 TVNZ -- DTT-FV2 DW (running)
    0x0000 0x0004: pmt_pid 0x0310 TVNZ -- DTT-FV3 CCTV (running)
    0x0000 0x0005: pmt_pid 0x0400 TVNZ -- DTT-TEST-CH (running)
    Network Name 'BCL_DVB-T'

    Based on the estimates of 6 channels per multiplex they look to be
    using 64QAM, unless they do time splits like the way CBBC and BBC3
    share a slot in the UK with a switch over around 7pm.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 20, 2006
  9. Sticky

    Peter Nield Guest

    > > So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

    > YES if
    >
    > 1. If you get your signal from Waitairua
    >
    > 2. If your signal is strong enough

    Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or do
    you "order in"?

    Peter Nield, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Sticky

    shannon Guest

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=346221

    shannon, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Sticky

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Peter Nield" <> wrote in message
    > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

    >> YES if
    >>
    >> 1. If you get your signal from Waitairua
    >>
    >> 2. If your signal is strong enough
    >>

    > Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or do
    > you "order in"?

    I wouldnt be buying any DVB-T receiver until Freeview specs are decided
    upon. Last I heard they hadn't even decided upon if it would be mpg2 or
    mpg4.

    Craig Sutton, Jun 20, 2006
  12. Sticky

    Richard Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > I wouldnt be buying any DVB-T receiver until Freeview specs are decided
    > upon. Last I heard they hadn't even decided upon if it would be mpg2 or
    > mpg4.

    Surely a USB or cardbus one on a PC wouldnt care, so long as you have the
    appropriate codec available to windows tho?

    Can mpeg4 handle interlaced video ok? Everytime I have tried to re-encode
    without deinterlace it looked like arse. Kept many dvd rips as mpeg2 because of
    that.

    Richard, Jun 20, 2006
  13. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    > > I wouldnt be buying any DVB-T receiver until Freeview specs are decided
    > > upon. Last I heard they hadn't even decided upon if it would be mpg2 or
    > > mpg4.

    > Surely a USB or cardbus one on a PC wouldnt care, so long as you have the
    > appropriate codec available to windows tho?
    >
    > Can mpeg4 handle interlaced video ok? Everytime I have tried to re-encode
    > without deinterlace it looked like arse. Kept many dvd rips as mpeg2 because of
    > that.

    With the right profile you can produce interlaced MPEG4. If you
    recompress / transcode captured videos under MythTV it keeps them as
    interlaced MPEG4.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 21, 2006
  14. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Peter Nield wrote:
    > > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message
    > >> YES if
    > >>
    > >> 1. If you get your signal from Waitairua
    > >>
    > >> 2. If your signal is strong enough
    > >>

    > > Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or do
    > > you "order in"?
    > >

    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=346221

    Fine if you want a PC unit, but this price is seriously too high.
    Should be more around NZ$150.

    I wouldn't buy any set top boxes until the decide what setup they are
    going to use. Based on their estimated prices it will probably be MPEG2
    as the MPEG4 units are a lot more expensive.

    At the moment it is all a bit moot for DVB-T as they are playing around
    with the trasmission. It has been rock solid for 6 months, but started
    to play up on Monday night.

    FYI for those of you interested in MPEG4 - Just been testing some
    patches for the openmedia.co.nz myPVR unit that will play the new BBC
    HDTV MPEG4 streams. These are full 1080i and look pretty damn amazing.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 21, 2006
  15. Sticky

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > shannon wrote:
    >> Peter Nield wrote:
    >> > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    >> > Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or
    >> > do
    >> > you "order in"?
    >> >

    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=346221

    > Fine if you want a PC unit, but this price is seriously too high.
    > Should be more around NZ$150.
    >
    > I wouldn't buy any set top boxes until the decide what setup they are
    > going to use. Based on their estimated prices it will probably be MPEG2
    > as the MPEG4 units are a lot more expensive.

    They have stated the Freeview Sat service will start in 2007 and the DVB-T
    will come "12-18 months later" so its a long way away yet.

    Craig Sutton, Jun 21, 2006
  16. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > shannon wrote:

    > >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=346221

    > > Fine if you want a PC unit, but this price is seriously too high.
    > > Should be more around NZ$150.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't buy any set top boxes until the decide what setup they are
    > > going to use. Based on their estimated prices it will probably be MPEG2
    > > as the MPEG4 units are a lot more expensive.
    > >

    > They have stated the Freeview Sat service will start in 2007 and the DVB-T
    > will come "12-18 months later" so its a long way away yet.

    Full roll out of DVB-T will take 12-18 months. The service is likely to
    start on some of the major transmitters at the same time as the
    Satellite.

    In Auckland one multiplex is already up and running, and I expect to
    see another one within a couple of months.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 21, 2006
  17. Sticky

    Richard Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Full roll out of DVB-T will take 12-18 months. The service is likely to
    > start on some of the major transmitters at the same time as the
    > Satellite.
    >
    > In Auckland one multiplex is already up and running, and I expect to
    > see another one within a couple of months.

    They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on without having
    to shell out for dishes and installation the better. They really need to get
    some other sites like remuera and pine hill up and runnign before they can
    promote it, since a hell of a lot of people are pointing to them rather then
    waiatarua.

    I recon we will see $99 settops in countdown soon after they announce it so long
    as they go mpeg 2, if its 4 then who knows really

    Richard, Jun 22, 2006
  18. Sticky

    Zonky Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news::

    > They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on
    > without having to shell out for dishes and installation the better.

    If the experience mirrors the UK, many, many people will require new UHF
    aerials for any chance of Terrestial digital reception.

    Z.

    Zonky, Jun 22, 2006
  19. Sticky

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Full roll out of DVB-T will take 12-18 months. The service is likely to
    > > start on some of the major transmitters at the same time as the
    > > Satellite.
    > >
    > > In Auckland one multiplex is already up and running, and I expect to
    > > see another one within a couple of months.

    > They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on without having
    > to shell out for dishes and installation the better. They really need to get
    > some other sites like remuera and pine hill up and runnign before they can
    > promote it, since a hell of a lot of people are pointing to them rather then
    > waiatarua.

    There might be a lot of people pointing at these other transmitters,
    but the majority of people in Auckland use Waiatarua, like well over
    50%. For round 1 it will only be the major transmitters. Sub sites
    around Auckland are probably atleast a year to 18 months away

    > I recon we will see $99 settops in countdown soon after they announce it so long
    > as they go mpeg 2, if its 4 then who knows really

    Yup. DSE is probably ordering in the same units as they stock in AU
    already.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 22, 2006
  20. Sticky

    Richard Guest

    Zonky wrote:
    > Richard <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>They would be stupid not to, as the more people they can get on
    >>without having to shell out for dishes and installation the better.

    > If the experience mirrors the UK, many, many people will require new UHF
    > aerials for any chance of Terrestial digital reception.

    The UK clustered there orig 4 channels together in different areas, same problem
    happened then the 5th channel started there, because it was at a different part
    of the band.

    All NZ UHFs are wideband since its all in use so shouldnt have that problem.

    Also they are running the digital at lower power to stop it overloading some
    crappy analog recievers untill the analog switchoff date I read somewhere too.

    Richard, Jun 23, 2006