FTA digital TV in NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by wadefleming@yahoo.com, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Nov 14, 2005

  2. Philip Guest

    wrote:
    > Will this product be of any use in NZ?
    >
    > http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2234
    >
    > If so what channels would be available?
    >
    > Thanks

    We don't currently have DVB, in radio or TV. Nor are we likely to any
    time soon, nor does it follow that we would have the same channel
    allocations as the Europeans (probably Germans) for whom this product is
    intended.

    I reckon it'll be five years before any serious attempt is made, that it
    will be in Auckland or Christchurch when it comes, and that it'll offer
    nothing new that we don't already have on satellite, but will come
    wrapped in annoying DRM restrictions.

    Philip

    Philip, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Craig Sutton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Will this product be of any use in NZ?
    >
    > http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2234
    >
    > If so what channels would be available?

    Some test channels are on the air in Auckland. TV1,TV2, CCTV9, Dwelle and a
    widescreen test service.

    But most likely that device is UHF only. So of no use here

    Craig Sutton, Nov 15, 2005
  4. ChrisOD Guest

    In article <dlbh9o$mel$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Will this product be of any use in NZ?
    >>
    >> http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2234
    >>
    >> If so what channels would be available?
    >>

    > Some test channels are on the air in Auckland. TV1,TV2, CCTV9, Dwelle and a
    > widescreen test service.
    >
    > But most likely that device is UHF only. So of no use here

    I think you are mistaken Craig. I'm sure the DVB-T test service is on UHF
    in Auckland.

    I think it uses the same transmitter that TVNZ used for AmCUP and that
    was certainly UHF.

    ChrisOD, Nov 15, 2005
  5. cyril Guest

    dont think you got what he meant, what will that receiver do if someone
    puts a VHF DVB-T transmission up ......

    However you are correct the only DVB-T transmission currently available
    in NZ is a test one in Auckland on UHF.

    Cyril

    cyril, Nov 15, 2005
  6. ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, cyril wrote:
    > dont think you got what he meant, what will that receiver do if someone
    > puts a VHF DVB-T transmission up ......
    >
    > However you are correct the only DVB-T transmission currently available
    > in NZ is a test one in Auckland on UHF.
    >
    > Cyril

    With TVNZ and CanWest occupying all the VHF spectrum it is unlikely that
    anyone will put up a VHF DVB-T service in NZ until after analogue switch
    off.

    ChrisOD, Nov 15, 2005
  7. Craig Sutton Guest

    "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dlbh9o$mel$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    > >
    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> Will this product be of any use in NZ?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2234
    > >>
    > >> If so what channels would be available?
    > >>

    > > Some test channels are on the air in Auckland. TV1,TV2, CCTV9, Dwelle

    and a
    > > widescreen test service.
    > >
    > > But most likely that device is UHF only. So of no use here
    > >

    > I think you are mistaken Craig. I'm sure the DVB-T test service is on UHF
    > in Auckland.
    >
    > I think it uses the same transmitter that TVNZ used for AmCUP and that
    > was certainly UHF.

    yes the test transmitter is. But due to NZ's landscape there will need to be
    Digital via the VHF band. So it won't support that in the future

    Craig Sutton, Nov 15, 2005
  8. cyril Guest

    One of the few usefull features of Digital, and the way it has been
    deployed elsewhere is to operate in the adjacent channel of existing
    Analog services, if this was not done then all Analog services would
    need to be shut down before DVB-T services could commence.

    Cyril

    cyril, Nov 15, 2005
  9. Richard Guest

    cyril wrote:
    > One of the few usefull features of Digital, and the way it has been
    > deployed elsewhere is to operate in the adjacent channel of existing
    > Analog services, if this was not done then all Analog services would
    > need to be shut down before DVB-T services could commence.

    At a much reduced powerlevel however, there are loads of people in the UK that
    get ok-ish analog reception (and its all UHF over there) but either cant get the
    digital or have to splash for a bigger better antenna to get it.

    BCL have the channel that max used to be on in auckland to run it on. I dont
    think anyone would care too much if juice FTA disappeared either - thats 2
    channels already there. In addition alttv has just cropped up on ch 62, and
    thats the highest there is so there are still 6 unused channels above it available.

    I say get the boxes available for under $60 each, and actually _lead_ the world
    in the analog turn off race instead of lagging like they are now. If they could
    shut down a few analog transmitters and then sell the spectrum to a pay tv
    service, that should more then cover the cost of subsidising or giving boxes to
    the poor masses on the benifit that must be fed there diet of shitty daytime TV
    (Well those without sky)

    Richard, Nov 15, 2005
  10. cyril Guest

    You are quite correct in that operating a DVB-T transmission next to an
    analog one does require a power reduction. That said however, due to
    the terrain in NZ, I very much doubt that if and when DVB-T is rolled
    out here on a large scale (ie not just city areas) that VHF channels
    will be used as well as UHF, just as in Australia.

    Cyril

    cyril, Nov 16, 2005
  11. Craig Sutton Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > cyril wrote:
    > > One of the few usefull features of Digital, and the way it has been
    > > deployed elsewhere is to operate in the adjacent channel of existing
    > > Analog services, if this was not done then all Analog services would
    > > need to be shut down before DVB-T services could commence.

    > At a much reduced powerlevel however, there are loads of people in the UK

    that
    > get ok-ish analog reception (and its all UHF over there) but either cant

    get the
    > digital or have to splash for a bigger better antenna to get it.

    They need to boot sky off UHF to free up some freqs

    Craig Sutton, Nov 16, 2005