    exist
    I read the mount and fstab man pages but cannot see where I'm going wrong.
    Any ideas, please?
    pete, Oct 5, 2003

  2. pete

    Allistar Guest

    pete wrote:

    > HI, trying to add a second hard drive to my Lycoris installation. the
    > drive is recognised by bios and can be fdisked and formatted ok by DOS.
    > Following a tutorial at the Lycoris website, I have edited the fstab,
    > adding /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 defaults 2 1 (the disk is slave on primary
    > IDE) The next step is supposed to be test the drive will mount by entering
    > #mount /mnt/hdb1 but this returns #mount: mount point /mnt/hdb1 does not
    > exist
    > I read the mount and fstab man pages but cannot see where I'm going wrong.
    > Any ideas, please?

    Hi,
    create the mount point (as a directory) first. Try this:

    mkdir /mnt/hdb1
    mount /mnt/hdb1

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 5, 2003

  3. pete

    pete Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > pete wrote:
    >
    > > HI, trying to add a second hard drive to my Lycoris installation. the
    > > drive is recognised by bios and can be fdisked and formatted ok by DOS.
    > > Following a tutorial at the Lycoris website, I have edited the fstab,
    > > adding /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 defaults 2 1 (the disk is slave on

    primary
    > > IDE) The next step is supposed to be test the drive will mount by

    entering
    > > #mount /mnt/hdb1 but this returns #mount: mount point /mnt/hdb1 does

    not
    > > exist
    > > I read the mount and fstab man pages but cannot see where I'm going

    wrong.
    > > Any ideas, please?

    > Hi,
    > create the mount point (as a directory) first. Try this:
    >
    > mkdir /mnt/hdb1
    > mount /mnt/hdb1
    >
    > Allistar.

    thanks Allistar, that worked. I can now see both drives when running
    KDiskFree, but the second drive doesn't show up in "My Linux System" (If
    you're not familiar with Lycoris, this is directly equivalent to "My
    Computer" in Windows)
    Maybe after a reboot..
    Peter
    pete, Oct 5, 2003
  4. pete

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:04:25 +1300, pete wrote:

    > thanks Allistar, that worked. I can now see both drives when running
    > KDiskFree, but the second drive doesn't show up in "My Linux System" (If
    > you're not familiar with Lycoris, this is directly equivalent to "My
    > Computer" in Windows)

    I know nothing about Lycoris, but strictly speaking it probably
    won't/shouldn't show up.

    Unix filesystems have no concept of different drives as such, filesystems
    are mounted into a single unified tree and the user isn't aware those
    directories are from different drives.

    Frankly the sooner Windows drops the drive letter (ie multiple directory
    trees) idea the better IMO. NTFS has had the capability for mounting in a
    directory for ages, technically it's just support of legacy software
    stopping it happening.

    Directory layout and filesystem management are two different concepts, and
    should be abstracted away from each other.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 6, 2003
  5. pete

    T.N.O. Guest

    "techie" wrote
    > I hear Microsoft's about to change "My Computer" to "Bill's Computer".

    heh, oh-no, thats not funny.

    :|
    T.N.O., Oct 6, 2003
  6. pete

    Allistar Guest

    pete wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> pete wrote:
    >>
    >> > HI, trying to add a second hard drive to my Lycoris installation. the
    >> > drive is recognised by bios and can be fdisked and formatted ok by DOS.
    >> > Following a tutorial at the Lycoris website, I have edited the fstab,
    >> > adding /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 defaults 2 1 (the disk is slave on

    > primary
    >> > IDE) The next step is supposed to be test the drive will mount by

    > entering
    >> > #mount /mnt/hdb1 but this returns #mount: mount point /mnt/hdb1 does

    > not
    >> > exist
    >> > I read the mount and fstab man pages but cannot see where I'm going

    > wrong.
    >> > Any ideas, please?

    >> Hi,
    >> create the mount point (as a directory) first. Try this:
    >>
    >> mkdir /mnt/hdb1
    >> mount /mnt/hdb1
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > thanks Allistar, that worked. I can now see both drives when running
    > KDiskFree, but the second drive doesn't show up in "My Linux System" (If
    > you're not familiar with Lycoris, this is directly equivalent to "My
    > Computer" in Windows)
    > Maybe after a reboot..
    > Peter

    Glad to hear it worked. I am not familiar with Lycoris, is there some sort
    of properties dialog for the "My Linux System" thing?

    Mounting into a unified tree structure is handy. I mount remote drives quite
    a bit (over a VPN connection to the office, also running Linux). Not too
    much different from sharing drives in Windows except without the need for a
    "drive mapping" as such (just a mount point).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 6, 2003
  7. pete

    techie Guest

    techie, Oct 6, 2003
  8. pete

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from techie of Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:59 :

    > I hear Microsoft's about to change "My Computer" to "Bill's Computer".

    only after you "upgrade" to Longhorn
    Peter, Oct 6, 2003