    screen flickers to black every 1 second or so.

    Hardware is ASUS A8N SLI-Prem, 3GB RAM, ASUS EN6600GT, AMD3800+, SATA3 250GB
    HDD. Have all latest nvidia drivers. Audio works well.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=, Mar 29, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

    Theo Guest

    According to the information posted on the Microsoft web
    site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/product_info.html
    there is no mention of it being compatible with either Win
    x64 nor Vista x64.

    Minimum System Requirements
    Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
    Processor: 1.0 Ghz
    RAM: Windows XP SP2 - 256MB, Windows Vista – 512MB
    Hard Drive: 14GB
    Video Card: 32MB DirectX 9 compatible
    Other: DX9 hardware compatibility and audio board with
    speakers and/or headphones
    Online/Multiplayer Requirements: 56.6 kbps or better for
    online play

    Theo, Mar 29, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    When you say "the latest drivers", I assume that you are referring to
    the nVidia 101.41 beta set. You're really pushing that 6600GT to run FSX
    as it brings even the best hardware to its knees. As a test, have you
    tried reducing the resolution to something pretty low, like 800 X 600
    and see if you get the same problem to occur?

    As to your original question, there are known problems with many 3D
    games under Vista. I haven't had any problems with FSX under Vista
    Ultimate x64, but I'm probably just lucky.

    Google FSX and you'll find a ton of websites/message boards that talk
    about FSX, hardware and driver issues. For example:

    www.avsim.com
    www.simviation.com
    www.sim-outhouse.com
    www.flyawaysimulation.com
    www.flightsimworld.com
    www.fsimcafe.com
    www.flightsim.com
    netwings.org
    www.fszone.org
    www.simradar.com etc.

    jabloomf1230, Mar 29, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    FSX ran fine for me also under Win XP x64. No problems at all.

    jabloomf1230, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Thanks for the replies.. Not certain of the version at the moment - not in
    front of my box but i will check it. The 6600GT handles FSX just fine under
    XP in Full detail on my hardware so i was hoping the extra overhead of Vista
    wouldnt be too bad. I will take your advice and lower the screen res however
    and check it out again tonite. My tests so far were on 1280x1024 but LOW
    detail. Another interesting thing i noticed was that i got a message stating
    " Changing to VISTA BASIC COLORS" and i thought that was odd. I am probably
    goign to try it on Vista x32 as well just to see what happens.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=, Mar 29, 2007
  6. FSX is built for DX10 and that will only be released with Vista, as I
    understand, but we are not there yet. Your problem is probably with the
    state of development of the current set of video drivers - it seems to run
    'mostly' fine with the OS and the basic functions, but some things must be
    expected to be shakey. When the FSX DX10 patch is released, you may expect
    the drivers to deliver better support, but not much earlier, is my guess.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 29, 2007
  7. Runnin' fine with latest NVidia official drivers on Vista x64.
    NV7600GT board on ASUS A8N-SLI, 2GB RAM
    (at least that is what my elder son says)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Yes, no real surprise - the community seems to be roughly equally divided in
    two, one has problems with graphical artifacts and flickering, the other
    don't. Both groups, I think it's safe to bet, will benefit in no neglectable
    amount from DX10 - the developers won't speak about dates or what kind of
    specific support will unfold, but say we WILL like it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 30, 2007
  9. Hi, Tony.

    DXDIAG.EXE says I'm running DirectX 10 NOW in Vista Ultimate x64.

    I'm not a gamer, and I haven't installed Flight Simulator in years, so maybe
    I just don't understand the issue.

    My computer was upgraded in December to an EPoX MF570SLI mobo/AMD Athlon 64
    X2 5000+ CPU/2 GB PC6400 RAM and ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-express video
    card. The Windows Experience score is 4.6, with Graphics being the lowest
    score at 4.6; Gaming graphics gets 4.9.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Mar 30, 2007
  10. R.C.:
    You are right.
    DirectX10 (as well as DirectX 9.0) are part of Vista installation.
    What we are not seeing much are DirectX10 capable graphic cards.
    I think that so far NVidia has a couple of chips of the 8xxx series but they
    are way too pricey for the time being.
    That kind of cards will surely squeeze all the performance out of FSX.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Mar 30, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    There's a lot of things all jumbled up in this thread. First Vista has
    both DX10 and DX9(for backward compatibility)functionality built in,
    right now. At the moment, only the nVidia 8xxx video cards support DX10.
    But that does no one any good, since there are no Vista drivers from
    nVidia that support DX10. Finally, FSX is presently only a DX9 game,
    until MS comes up with a patch.

    BTW, 5xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx cards from nVidia are not capable of supporting
    DX10, at least that's what MS and nVidia say. The same is true for every
    ATI card out right now also, but that's soon to change as the 2xxx ATI
    cards come out.

    Tune in again in 2 or 3 months and things will probably be even more
    confusing. ;-)

    jabloomf1230, Mar 30, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

    justfwed Guest

    new hp m9510f vista 64 bit w Nvidia GeForce 9500GS graphic
    card.....flight simulator x installs but there is no .exe to star
    program......after install it doesn't show up on desktop and goes t
    Windows/games folder.yet there is no .exe file .only folder fo
    FSX.....FSX works fine on my other PC w/ XP Home.anyone one else hav
    this problem? Any help

    --
    justfwe
    justfwed's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/129155.ht