    there any problems with replacing a 533Mhz FSB motherboard (Socket 478)
    in a 2.4Ghz P4 system with a 800Mhz FSB (Socket 478) motherboard?

    Thanks in advance.
    anon, Mar 4, 2005

  2. anon wrote:
    > Is the motherboard FSB speed independent of RAM and CPU speed? IOW, are
    > there any problems with replacing a 533Mhz FSB motherboard (Socket 478)
    > in a 2.4Ghz P4 system with a 800Mhz FSB (Socket 478) motherboard?

    Actually the questions are very different. The FSB of the M/B is equal
    to that to the CPU, and the RAM must support that speed. So no, they
    aren't independent.

    Normally there is no issue running RAM at below its design speed (At
    least in the case of SDRAM/DDR), so provided the M/B chipset supports
    the same FSB as the processor (Which AFAIK all chipsets supporting
    800MHz FSB do), there shouldn't be a problem.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 4, 2005

  3. anon

    Enkidu Guest

    anon wrote:
    > Is the motherboard FSB speed independent of RAM and CPU speed? IOW, are
    > there any problems with replacing a 533Mhz FSB motherboard (Socket 478)
    > in a 2.4Ghz P4 system with a 800Mhz FSB (Socket 478) motherboard?

    Is it a WInders system? If so, I'd guess that just switching
    the MB will give you plenty of problems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 4, 2005
  4. The Other Guy wrote:
    >> Is the motherboard FSB speed independent of RAM and CPU speed? IOW, are
    >> there any problems with replacing a 533Mhz FSB motherboard (Socket 478)
    >> in a 2.4Ghz P4 system with a 800Mhz FSB (Socket 478) motherboard?

    > Actually the questions are very different. The FSB of the M/B is equal
    > to that to the CPU, and the RAM must support that speed. So no, they
    > aren't independent.

    well, actually a lot of motherboards will allow you to run the CPU and
    Ram at different speeds, there are no major advantages for running
    memory faster than CPU, but if you do it the other way, there are(unless
    severly limited by CPU speed).

    Usually running it all at the same speed is better.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2005
  5. anon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >>> Is the motherboard FSB speed independent of RAM and CPU speed? IOW,
    >>> are there any problems with replacing a 533Mhz FSB motherboard
    >>> (Socket 478) in a 2.4Ghz P4 system with a 800Mhz FSB (Socket 478)
    >>> motherboard?

    >> Actually the questions are very different. The FSB of the M/B is
    >> equal to that to the CPU, and the RAM must support that speed. So
    >> no, they aren't independent.

    Actually they are on a lot of boards up to two years old, maybe more. I can
    set the FSB and the RAM speeds independantly on my oldish machine. However I
    choose to run them both at 200Mhz, even though the CPU was released to run
    on 133Mhz, the fastest FSB common then. Of course I lowered the multiplier
    accordingly, it's not running at 150% of rated speed, only about 130%.

    > well, actually a lot of motherboards will allow you to run the CPU and
    > Ram at different speeds, there are no major advantages for running
    > memory faster than CPU, but if you do it the other way, there
    > are(unless severly limited by CPU speed).
    >
    > Usually running it all at the same speed is better.

    Except the CPU has a multiplier right that makes it go x times the speed of
    the FSB. <g> I'd hate to have my Athlon CPU running at 200Mhz, the same as
    the RAM and the FSB.

    But, yeah, running the RAM at the same speed as the CPU FSB is usually the
    best way to go.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 5, 2005
  6. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Actually they are on a lot of boards up to two years old, maybe more. I can
    > set the FSB and the RAM speeds independantly on my oldish machine. However I
    > choose to run them both at 200Mhz, even though the CPU was released to run
    > on 133Mhz, the fastest FSB common then. Of course I lowered the multiplier
    > accordingly, it's not running at 150% of rated speed, only about 130%.

    >>well, actually a lot of motherboards will allow you to run the CPU and
    >>Ram at different speeds, there are no major advantages for running
    >>memory faster than CPU, but if you do it the other way, there
    >>are(unless severly limited by CPU speed).
    >>Usually running it all at the same speed is better.

    > Except the CPU has a multiplier right that makes it go x times the speed of
    > the FSB. <g> I'd hate to have my Athlon CPU running at 200Mhz, the same as
    > the RAM and the FSB.

    I tried this one day, and it was quite interesting to see how it
    performed... it felt faster than 200MHz, but not a lot.

    > But, yeah, running the RAM at the same speed as the CPU FSB is usually the
    > best way to go.

    yep.

    --
    Dave.net.nz