    so if I buy a motherboard that only supports 1000Mhz there will be a
    bottleneck of 1000Mhz? is that correct. Will that really affect me or
    should I look for a motherboard that supports the full 2000Mhz?
    Bioret, Jul 9, 2007

  2. Bioret

    PeeCee Guest

    <Bioret> wrote in message news:Xns9967C3EEF4F49bioret@66.250.146.128...
    >I will be buying an AMD x2 5200. It has an fsb of 2000Mhz
    > so if I buy a motherboard that only supports 1000Mhz there will be a
    > bottleneck of 1000Mhz? is that correct. Will that really affect me or
    > should I look for a motherboard that supports the full 2000Mhz?

    No there won't be a bottle neck.

    If you look at the specs for the AMD X2 5200+ on this page:
    http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADO5200IAA6CZ
    You will see they refer to "HT" speed as 2000 not 'fsb'

    HT and fsb are not the same as is explained in this Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

    In general terms they get the 2000MHZ by reading the RAM more than once
    during the clock cycle.
    So if the FSB is 1000MHZ reading the ram twice per clock cycle you could say
    the data rate is 2000MHZ.
    Not unexpectedly If you read the RAM four times per cycle you can get an
    apparent 2000MHZ from a bus that is only running at 500MHZ

    In practice what they are doing is playing with numbers to make it look as
    though the bandwidth is much bigger than the competition.
    i.e. for the most part it's Marketing Bullshit. (sorry if the language
    offends but I hate 'Marketing' types, biggest twisters of the truth on
    earth. Just think how you feel about real estate agents)

    To save yourself a lot of Angst just go to this AMD page and choose from the
    compatable motherboards listed.
    http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_9460^9461~73649,00.html

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 9, 2007

  3. Bioret

    Bioret Guest

    thanks that's everything + more about what i needed to know.
    and no it doesnt offend me, In any case the marketing bullshit is very
    stupid since it confuses me enough to have to ask someone in a newsgroup ;)

    thanks.
    Bioret, Jul 9, 2007