    If you need any other information that could be relevant, just shout.

    Many thanks

    Darren
    TwisterFreak, Feb 8, 2004

  2. TwisterFreak

    Mara Guest

    http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/cpus-busspeeds.html
    http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice111700.html

    --
    "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
    -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98
    Mara, Feb 8, 2004

  3. TwisterFreak

    ICee Guest

    TwisterFreak wrote:
    > Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
    > confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set
    > up to make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.
    >
    > For example if i have a Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz and 512B DDR266. When i
    > boot up it says 26 x 100.
    > What perhaps should this be set as.
    > Are there other settings in the BIOS that should be changed?
    > If you need any other information that could be relevant, just shout.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Darren

    Front Side Bus explained:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

    The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
    correct.
    ICee, Feb 8, 2004
  4. TwisterFreak

    TwisterFreak Guest

    Great website, thanks Mara.

    I will have a bit of a play with the settings after the football has
    finished

    All the best

    Darren

    TwisterFreak, Feb 8, 2004
  5. TwisterFreak

    TwisterFreak Guest

    OK, thanks ICee. Perhaps i won't be playing with my settings.

    In your experience would you say that if a BIOS is set to determine this
    automatically, it usually gets it right.

    Cheers everyone

    Darren

    TwisterFreak, Feb 8, 2004
  6. TwisterFreak

    ICee Guest

    TwisterFreak wrote:
    > OK, thanks ICee. Perhaps i won't be playing with my settings.
    >
    > In your experience would you say that if a BIOS is set to determine
    > this automatically, it usually gets it right.
    >
    > Cheers everyone
    >
    > Darren

    Yes, the BIOS is usually defaulted to 'AUTO' settings, and will
    automatically set the multiplier and FSB speeds. In some cases, it's
    possible to 'overclock' the CPU and/or system, if the BIOS has options
    to manually set the FSB and/or the multiplier. In the case of Intel
    CPU's (and now AMD also), the multiplier is locked, so overclocking is
    accomplished by increasing the FSB.
    Unless your BIOS allows 1 MHz increments, it's doubtful the Celeron will
    run at 26x133, or 3.4 GHz.

    ICee, Feb 8, 2004
  7. TwisterFreak

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:50:26 -0000, TwisterFreak wrote:

    >Great website, thanks Mara.

    You're welcome.

    >I will have a bit of a play with the settings after the football has
    >finished

    Don't play _too_ much. You do want your system to be able to boot, after all.
    <g>

    >All the best
    >
    >Darren
    >
    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:28:15 -0000, TwisterFreak wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
    >> >confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set up to
    >> >make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.

    >> http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/cpus-busspeeds.html
    >> http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice111700.html

    <snip>

    Mara, Feb 8, 2004
  8. ICee wrote:

    > The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
    > correct.

    2.6MHz? I know Celerons aren't that fast, but jeez! <g>

    Dave P

    --
    David Precious
    http://www.preshweb.co.uk/
    David Precious, Feb 9, 2004
  9. TwisterFreak

    ICee Guest

    David Precious wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >> The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
    >> correct.

    > 2.6MHz? I know Celerons aren't that fast, but jeez! <g>
    >
    > Dave P

    Doh!
    That's the new short wave RF version. Tune in the world. ;)
    ICee, Feb 9, 2004
  10. TwisterFreak

    Craven Birds Guest

    "David Precious" <> wrote in message
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    > > The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
    > > correct.

    > 2.6MHz? I know Celerons aren't that fast, but jeez! <g>
    >
    > Dave P

    INTEL Celeron 2.6G CPU (128K) (CPU 079)

    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds
    Craven Birds, Feb 9, 2004
  11. On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:53:08 -0000, "TwisterFreak"
    <> wrote:

    >OK, thanks ICee. Perhaps i won't be playing with my settings.
    >
    >In your experience would you say that if a BIOS is set to determine this
    >automatically, it usually gets it right.

    There's also the chance (greatly) that your CPU is "locked", if so, it
    won't matter what you enter in the BIOS screen, the motherboard will
    ignore it.
    John H. Guillory, Feb 9, 2004