    -7IXE4.htm

    TIA
    Newt
    Newt, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Newt

    Newt Guest

    "Toby Groves" <> wrote in message
    news:YjOlhVAI5W$...
    > In article <BN5La.1765$>, Newt
    > <> writes
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I have a Gigabyte GA-71XE4 mobo, with a Duron 800Mhz CPU which has a FSB

    of
    > >200.
    > >
    > >I would like to upgrade the CPU, looking at Athlon 1.4Gb
    > >
    > >My question is, what happens if I put a in a CPU with FSB of 266?
    > >
    > >According to the website the CPUs with 266FSB are not applicable. Does

    this
    > >they wont work or that they just havent been tested with the mobo? see
    > >below

    >http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_G

    > >-7IXE4.htm

    > The chipset on the board doesn't support the 133FSB (266DDR) Athlons.
    > The 1.4Ghz chip uses a 10.5x multiplier, so if you put it in the board,
    > it would work ok, but would clock at 1050Mhz instead.
    >
    > You have four options
    >
    > 1. Use the processor at 1050Mhz
    > 2. Overclock the FSB to the max of 115Mhz, giving approx 1200Mhz
    > 3. Unlock the processor's multiplier and up it to 14x (board permitting)
    > 4. Don't bother
    >
    > HTH.
    > --
    > Toby

    Cheers,

    4. Wont bother seems to be the only option with this mobo/cpu. Mobo is self
    sensing, bios doesnt support changing the multiplier. Ill just stick to
    uping from 100 to 115Mhz clock cycle.

    It runs stable and it does what I want, I ll leave it alone for know.
    Maybe if I can get hold of an other mobo cheap/free I may try then.

    Thx
    Newt, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Newt

    Toby Groves Guest

    In article <I4sLa.33844$>, MiniDisc_2k2
    <> writes
    >You could always get a goldfinger (though I'm a Pentium user so I wouldn't
    >know much about those things, and all I understand is that they change the
    >CPU multiplier). From what I get it's kinda difficult to install (take off
    >the cover of the CPU?)

    You're thinking of the original Slot A Athlons.
    --
    Toby
    Toby Groves, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Newt

    Newt Guest

    Thanx all for your input and advice, I shall be going along the lines of
    getting a1.3gb cpu. theres one or two about.
    Newt
    Newt, Jun 30, 2003