    1. Advertising

  2. Mtx

    Zimmy Guest

    Zimmy, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Mtx

    Con Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    What are they, then?

    Con

    Con, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Mtx

    Eric R. Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    "Con" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > What are they, then?

    Bootlegs.

    ;-)

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jul 2, 2003
  5. Mtx

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    In article <>, Con
    <> wrote:

    > What are they, then?

    How little you know. They are actual "pressed" DVDs from Hong Kong or
    Malaysia.

    Max Volume, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Mtx

    Frode Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    Frode, Jul 3, 2003
  7. Mtx

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    In article <3f03cd96$>, Frode
    <> wrote:

    > Sourced from old laserdisc releases, yes?

    Probably, but that's the best you're gonna get. I don't have those
    actual discs, but my DVD-Rs might be copies of them. If so, I find
    nothing wrong with the video quality. I have a set of the original
    trilogy (with some of the extras from the Def Ed. LD set) as well as
    the Special Edition. Until the official set is released, these are
    quite adequate.

    Max Volume, Jul 3, 2003
  8. Mtx

    Frode Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    Frode, Jul 3, 2003
  9. Mtx

    Mark B. Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    "Frode" <> wrote in message

    Frode, Jul 6, 2003
  11. Mtx

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    In article <3f08020f$>, Frode
    <> wrote:

    > That's not the point. The *content on them* is not mastered for DVD by the
    > studio. It's a remastered copy of the laserdisc release. The only
    > difference is it's been transcoded and put on a DVD instead. If people then
    > call them "DVD release of Star Wars" that's just wrong cause it's nothing
    > but a Laserdisc release bootleg in a nice wrapping. Of course, if my
    > premise that these are illegal copies, not released by the studio, is wrong
    > then so is my train of thought.

    So what is your beef with them, that they are illegal or that they are
    LaserDisc transfers??? As I said before, it's either a LaserDisc
    transfer or nothing. The thing that sets these discs apart is that
    they were professionally transferred, which should yield a slightly
    better picture than just some guy hooking a LaserDisc player up to his
    PC.

    I think we all know that there are no *official* DVDs out yet, but some
    of us are not content to wait. Sure, we'll probably buy the real DVDs
    when they're released, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna put up with VHS
    or clumsy LaserDiscs for the next two to three years.

    Besides, the point I was trying to refute is that these are
    pan-and-scan VHS transfers recorded on DVD-R, which is entirely
    inaccurate. I personally don't give a shit who buys SW bootlegs and
    who doesn't, but don't go spouting your ignorant opinions if you don't
    know what the **** you're talking about.

    Max Volume, Jul 6, 2003
  12. Mtx

    Frode Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    Frode, Jul 6, 2003
  13. Mtx

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    In article <3f080ea3$>, Frode
    <> wrote:

    > That's pretty much my point. Not everybody knows and thus labling them as
    > DVDs would mislead those who have no idea that it's not been released.

    Bullshit. Anyone sufficiently interested in STAR WARS is going to know
    the story about no DVDs until 2006 or so. They're ALSO going to know
    that it will be just the SE and not the original cut of the films. For
    that reason, Malaysian bootleg DVDs of the Definitive Edition
    LaserDiscs are far better than ANY other readily-available version of
    the films as they originally were.

    > An
    > asian illegal LD transfer won't have the quality nor the extras of the
    > official product.

    I seriously doubt that the material on the Definitive Edition set is
    going to be repeated on the official DVDs. Furthermore, scenes like
    "Lapti Nek" are now lost to history, and as it is a part of the
    ORIGINAL versions, not the SE, it's highly unlikely that it will ever
    appear on the official DVDs.

    > Still in your teens are you?

    No, but does that mean I'm required to tolerate the misinformation
    you're spouting? Shut the **** up works for all ages, mate.

    Max Volume, Jul 7, 2003
  14. Mtx

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    In article <3f091141$>, Frode
    <> wrote:

    > So you know for certain everybody reading this newsgroup who might take an
    > interest in an apparent DVD version of SW are "sufficiently interested"
    > enough to know this? No? Thought so.

    You seem to enjoy talking to yourself. I guess that's the only way you
    can find anyone to agree with you. Now that I have a chance to
    actually ANSWER the fucking question... YES, I do believe that anyone
    familiar enough with the internet and STAR WARS to come into this
    newsgroup looking for a DVD of STAR WARS is going to know that no
    official discs have been released, and also that the original versions
    will never be released on DVD.

    Max Volume, Jul 7, 2003
  15. Mtx

    Frode Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    Frode, Jul 7, 2003
  16. Mtx

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Star Wars DVD

    In article <3f0944c3$>, Frode
    <> wrote:

    > They're still bootlegs though.

    Not in Malaysia, they're not. At any rate, it's pretty obvious that
    these are not official releases. The public isn't THAT stupid.

    Max Volume, Jul 8, 2003