    accept money orders.

    If you are interested, e-mail me at:

    I only have one copy so first come, first serve!
    Michael Allred, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Michael Allred

    FAQmeister Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    "Michael Allred" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I'm selling the "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD. Near mint
    > condition. $50.00 (includes postage.) US residents only and I can only
    > accept money orders.
    >
    > If you are interested, e-mail me at:
    >
    > I only have one copy so first come, first serve!

    The MSRP on that is only $39.95 and Robocop Trilogy is available at
    DVDsoon for $16.68 with free shipping.

    Perhaps you're not aware that Google-groups' TOS prohibits advertising
    and that posting ads though Google-groups does not shield your ISP
    (WebTV) from complaints about your spamming.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Michael Allred

    Wade365 Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    << I'm selling the "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD. >><BR><BR>
    << The MSRP on that is only $39.95 and Robocop Trilogy is available at
    DVDsoon for $16.68 with free shipping. >><BR><BR>

    His lack of NG etiquette aside (posting sales), he is talking about the OP
    Criterion version of the film which has had all of the original violence, etc.
    restored...

    .... and $50 is a steal. If you're into that sort of thing. Which I am. But I'm
    broke.

    Next Caller.
    Wade365, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Michael Allred

    NeoRenegade Guest

    Wade365 wrote:

    > << I'm selling the "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD. >><BR><BR>
    > << The MSRP on that is only $39.95 and Robocop Trilogy is available at
    > DVDsoon for $16.68 with free shipping. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > His lack of NG etiquette aside (posting sales), he is talking about the OP
    > Criterion version of the film which has had all of the original violence, etc.
    > restored...
    >
    > ... and $50 is a steal. If you're into that sort of thing. Which I am. But I'm
    > broke.
    >
    > Next Caller.

    Original violence? What's more violent than Kenny getting shredded,
    Murphy's death, Emil 's flesh melting away, etc.? Damn, I will have to
    see that version of the movie!

    - NR
    NeoRenegade, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    The Trilogy has the uncut version that Criterion has, the single disc
    release does not.

    Plus, the trilogy is anamorphic so the criterion is only good for
    whatever exclusive extras it has.

    Michael Rogers, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Michael Allred

    Wade365 Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    << The Trilogy has the uncut version that Criterion has, the single disc
    release does not. >><BR><BR>

    Will this be available separately, eventually? The second movie is so-so and te
    third one is embarrassing, but I certainly would like the option of seeing what
    was cut from the various aggregious violence bits... I was sceptical as to what
    could possibly have been more violent, but the IMDB showed me the error of my
    thinking... there's quite a bit of difference I guess.

    BTW: A Goodly amount of people think the "less" violent theatrical print
    actually carries a bit more impact BECAUSE it dances but doesn't go over the
    line of "Too Much", becoming almost cartoonish in it's portrayal of gunplay and
    splatter.
    Wade365, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    I have no idea if they will eventually release it individually. I have
    to say the only reason I didn't get the single disc was because it was
    the R cut version and the only reason I got the set with 2 and 3 was
    because it was the uncut version.

    I lucked out and got it for $26.99 at a sale. It was a lot less than the
    roundabout 40-50 bucks to get Criterion.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Aug 8, 2004
  8. Michael Allred

    FAQmeister Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > The second movie is
    > so-so and te third one is embarrassing,

    Well, the first one isn't anywhere near as good as the way I remembered
    it. Robocop doesn't have any computer-generated special effects even
    though it came out after the first Terminator movie. Most of the effects
    are pretty good but there are some that aren't, i.e. the stop-motion
    animation on the "ED209" is pretty jerky and when it shoots a rocket
    it's easy to see the black wire the rocket travels on to reach it's
    target.

    FAQmeister, Aug 10, 2004
  9. Michael Allred

    Video Flyer Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    On 8/9/04 8:23 PM, in article cf981f$i5u$, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    > "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    >> The second movie is
    >> so-so and te third one is embarrassing,

    > Well, the first one isn't anywhere near as good as the way I remembered
    > it. Robocop doesn't have any computer-generated special effects even
    > though it came out after the first Terminator movie.

    An odd observation...given that there was very little in the way of
    computer-generated effects that I'm aware of in Terminator. Effects
    technology moves forward. Remember watching broadcasts of Star Wars on tv
    and seeing the moving mattes around all the spacecraft?

    Neal
    Video Flyer, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Michael Allred

    Smaug69 Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message news:<cf981f$i5u$>...
    > "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > > The second movie is
    > > so-so and te third one is embarrassing,

    > Well, the first one isn't anywhere near as good as the way I remembered
    > it.

    It's a hell of alot better than the 2 sequels.

    > Robocop doesn't have any computer-generated special effects even
    > though it came out after the first Terminator movie.

    The first Terminator film had no CGI effects either. It was made on
    the cheap- less than $7 million.

    > Most of the effects
    > are pretty good but there are some that aren't, i.e. the stop-motion
    > animation on the "ED209" is pretty jerky and when it shoots a rocket
    > it's easy to see the black wire the rocket travels on to reach it's
    > target.

    Well, when you are deciding the merits of a film solely on its effects
    you have passed out of the realm of being a critical thinker. Maybe
    you can go enjoy the sequels to The Matrix yet again.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Aug 10, 2004
  11. Michael Allred

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message news:<cf0ofm$4n8$>...

    > The MSRP on that is only $39.95 and Robocop Trilogy is available at
    > DVDsoon for $16.68 with free shipping.

    The Criterion version of Robocop has been out of print for several
    years. Posting it as available should be done (ideally) through an
    Ebay (or similar auction) and be clearly marked in the subject line.

    Other than that I have no problem with it.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Aug 10, 2004
  12. Michael Allred

    Eric R. Guest

    Video Flyer <> wrote in message news:<BD3D9626.1B30F%>...

    > An odd observation...given that there was very little in the way of
    > computer-generated effects that I'm aware of in Terminator.

    AFAIK, the only computer generated FX in the Terminator are some of
    the computer displays when we see the world from the Terminator's
    perspective (and even those might have been back-projected). I suspect
    our resident rocket scientist FAQmeister is confusing the first
    Terminator with the second.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 10, 2004
  13. Michael Allred

    FAQmeister Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    "Eric R." <> wrote in message
    > Video Flyer <> wrote in message
    >
    >> An odd observation...given that there was very little in the way of
    >> computer-generated effects that I'm aware of in Terminator.

    > AFAIK, the only computer generated FX in the Terminator are some of
    > the computer displays when we see the world from the Terminator's
    > perspective (and even those might have been back-projected). I suspect
    > our resident rocket scientist FAQmeister is confusing the first
    > Terminator with the second.
    >
    > -Eric

    Yes I made a mistake, and thanks for adding the insult.
    FAQmeister, Aug 10, 2004
  14. Michael Allred

    FAQmeister Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    "Smaug69" <> wrote in message
    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >> "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    >>> The second movie is
    >>> so-so and te third one is embarrassing,

    >> Well, the first one isn't anywhere near as good as the way I
    >> remembered it.

    > It's a hell of alot better than the 2 sequels.
    >
    >> Robocop doesn't have any computer-generated special effects even
    >> though it came out after the first Terminator movie.

    > The first Terminator film had no CGI effects either. It was made on
    > the cheap- less than $7 million.
    >
    >> Most of the effects
    >> are pretty good but there are some that aren't, i.e. the stop-motion
    >> animation on the "ED209" is pretty jerky and when it shoots a rocket
    >> it's easy to see the black wire the rocket travels on to reach it's
    >> target.

    > Well, when you are deciding the merits of a film solely on its effects
    > you have passed out of the realm of being a critical thinker. Maybe
    > you can go enjoy the sequels to The Matrix yet again.
    >
    > Smaug69

    Were that the case, I'd agree. I think you'll agree that effects are
    quite important in a science fiction movie. Of course I've been spoiled
    by modern effects and perhaps I expected too much from a movie more than
    15 years old, but watching the rockets travel down that black wire in
    Robocop was still a big disappointment to me.
    FAQmeister, Aug 10, 2004
  15. Michael Allred

    Smaug69 Guest

    Re: "Robocop" Criterion Collection DVD

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message news:<cfbcca$3u5$>...

    <snip>

    > > Well, when you are deciding the merits of a film solely on its effects
    > > you have passed out of the realm of being a critical thinker. Maybe
    > > you can go enjoy the sequels to The Matrix yet again.
    > >
    > > Smaug69

    > Were that the case, I'd agree. I think you'll agree that effects are
    > quite important in a science fiction movie.\

    No, I don't agree. The first Terminator film was excellent despite the
    lack of great special effects. It was all smoke and mirros in that one
    and Cameron pulled it off because he had a great story, great
    direction and great actors. The effects were important in a couple of
    areas regarding plot points, but they did not make the film. Effects
    are supposed to be slaves to the storytelling process not the driving
    force.

    > Of course I've been spoiled
    > by modern effects and perhaps I expected too much from a movie more than
    > 15 years old, but watching the rockets travel down that black wire in
    > Robocop was still a big disappointment to me.

    Robocop had a $13 million budget in 1987 dollars. By comparison, Star
    Wars was a $15 million film in mid-1970s dollars. Robocop was also
    made in the pre-CGI days. And I am sure that most of the people who
    saw the film in 1987 were not too concerned about seeing rockets
    travel down black wires- that's if they even saw the wires. Robocop is
    still one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films and it still stands up
    pretty well, IMO. Films like The Matrix and Blade can't hold a candle
    to it.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Aug 11, 2004
  16. Michael Allred

    Rick Guest

    > <snip>
    >
    > > > Well, when you are deciding the merits of a film solely on its effects
    > > > you have passed out of the realm of being a critical thinker. Maybe
    > > > you can go enjoy the sequels to The Matrix yet again.
    > > >
    > > > Smaug69

    > > Were that the case, I'd agree. I think you'll agree that effects are
    > > quite important in a science fiction movie.\

    > No, I don't agree. The first Terminator film was excellent despite the
    > lack of great special effects. It was all smoke and mirros in that one
    > and Cameron pulled it off because he had a great story, great
    > direction and great actors. The effects were important in a couple of
    > areas regarding plot points, but they did not make the film. Effects
    > are supposed to be slaves to the storytelling process not the driving
    > force.

    Exactly. The way I see all movies is that less is more. When you are able
    to get wrapped up in a character story, the effects take are "larger than
    life" to the viewer, even though technically by themselves they may contain
    inherent flaws (such as juddery stop-motion or wires carrying rockets etc).
    Personally, I can accept these flaws.

    What I cannot accept is a movie which just has effects for the effects
    sake - Bad Boys II is a prime example. I was completely bored for the next
    2-1/2 hours because I knew well before the movie started that the main
    characters were going to come out of all this chaos with nary a scratch on
    their bodies and a witty one-liner to top off each stunt sequence - much
    like James Bond does, in which I think GoldenEye was the only decent Pierce
    Brosnan JB flick generated to date.

    Hollywood is only now seeing that storylines actually matter in movies, but
    still they have a long way to go to make every second movie count in the
    plot stakes. I cannot see the point of watching a movie where every
    motivation is telegraphed from miles away. I would rather be surprised when
    something happens that I do not forsee, although this is getting
    increasingly difficult with certain savvy movie-goers these days (like me).
    I hate watching a movie where you know full-well what is going to happen
    (setup and resolution) - I just think it's a waste of time when everything
    has been done before it, only then much prettier next time around.

    > > Of course I've been spoiled
    > > by modern effects and perhaps I expected too much from a movie more than
    > > 15 years old, but watching the rockets travel down that black wire in
    > > Robocop was still a big disappointment to me.

    > Robocop had a $13 million budget in 1987 dollars. By comparison, Star
    > Wars was a $15 million film in mid-1970s dollars. Robocop was also
    > made in the pre-CGI days. And I am sure that most of the people who
    > saw the film in 1987 were not too concerned about seeing rockets
    > travel down black wires- that's if they even saw the wires. Robocop is
    > still one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films and it still stands up
    > pretty well, IMO. Films like The Matrix and Blade can't hold a candle
    > to it.

    You always get the feeling that ED-209 is a monster of a machine because it
    is a physical object onscreen - not like all the CGI-created models out
    there that you know aren't real at all (there's no "body" to them).

    Rick, Aug 13, 2004