Frustration over absurd and pointless browser version checking

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. I'm getting the following error on your website
    <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:

    > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    > with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
    > installed, try using that browser instead.
    >
    > There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
    > about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
    >
    > * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
    > * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
    >
    > You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
    >
    > Email for technical assistance.
    >
    > Your Browser Signature is:
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    design.

    You have lost me as a student.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Shane Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > I'm getting the following error on your website
    > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
    >
    >> Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    >> You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    >> because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    >> with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
    >> installed, try using that browser instead.
    >>
    >> There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
    >> about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
    >>
    >> * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
    >> * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
    >>
    >> You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
    >>
    >> Email for technical assistance.
    >>
    >> Your Browser Signature is:
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    >> Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > design.
    >
    > You have lost me as a student.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Ha, its shocking isnt it. I can only say its an improvement on last year
    when I attempted to traverse the minefield

    Shane, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    lolinternet Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > You have lost me as a student.

    So you're going to let a web developer who puts a browser check on a
    website determine the future of your education.

    Way to go champ.

    lolinternet, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Peter Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > design.

    The site fails html validation check too ...
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz

    If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
    rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Shane Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    >> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    >> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    >> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    >> design.

    > The site fails html validation check too ...
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz
    >
    > If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
    > rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.
    >

    > Peter

    In their defence the academics will have very little to do with ITS.

    Shane, Jan 12, 2007
  6. lolinternet <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > You have lost me as a student.

    > So you're going to let a web developer who puts a browser check on a
    > website determine the future of your education.
    >
    > Way to go champ.

    Actually it looks like Massey will better serve my extramural needs ;-)
    Still, it's not a good advert for Waikato, is it?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 12, 2007
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Stuart Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >> If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is
    >> the
    >> rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

    > In their defence the academics will have very little to do with ITS.

    In Otago's case, there's basically no connection between the two at all.
    Except for the algorithm that decides when and where to schedule exams; that
    was written by the CS dept, I believe.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jan 12, 2007
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    >> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    >> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    >> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    >> design.

    > The site fails html validation check too ...
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz
    >
    > If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
    > rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

    Just checked now and it came back passed?

    I dont really care too much for that stupid validator. It always bitches
    about alt tags not being there and other meaningless crap

    Richard, Jan 12, 2007
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:40:50 +1300, in message <1hruecb.10d2zgg1l1digoN%>,
    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > I'm getting the following error on your website
    > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
    >
    > > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    > > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    > > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    > > with the Web content you requested.

    > > Your Browser Signature is:
    > > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    > > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    Which other URL were you at and what did you do when you got redirected
    to that page? And, what browser were you using at the time?

    For a test, I spoofed your Camino "Browser Signature" (User-Agent) and
    went for a wander around the Waikato University site. I never once got
    redirected to that page. (If I go directly to the URL you gave, I do
    see Camino's "Browser Signature" on the page.)

    It is possible to see that page with any browser's signature, if you
    go directly there (not being redirected). To test this, I used IE6 and
    went directly to the URL you gave (not via a redirection). The page
    showed me the same message, with IE6's "Browser Signature".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jan 12, 2007
  10. Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:40:50 +1300, in message
    > <1hruecb.10d2zgg1l1digoN%>, Jamie Kahn Genet
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm getting the following error on your website
    > > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
    > >
    > > > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    > > > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    > > > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    > > > with the Web content you requested.

    > > > Your Browser Signature is:
    > > > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    > > > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    > Which other URL were you at and what did you do when you got redirected
    > to that page? And, what browser were you using at the time?
    >
    > For a test, I spoofed your Camino "Browser Signature" (User-Agent) and
    > went for a wander around the Waikato University site. I never once got
    > redirected to that page. (If I go directly to the URL you gave, I do
    > see Camino's "Browser Signature" on the page.)
    >
    > It is possible to see that page with any browser's signature, if you
    > go directly there (not being redirected). To test this, I used IE6 and
    > went directly to the URL you gave (not via a redirection). The page
    > showed me the same message, with IE6's "Browser Signature".
    >

    > > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > > design.
    > >
    > > You have lost me as a student.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I click on any link on <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/careers/> and I
    get redirected to <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 12, 2007
  11. Same here at Waikato - ITS handles the website and I think most of the
    network. SCMS has their own network domain for their computer labs
    which they probabily manage but that would be about it.

    David Goodwin, Jan 13, 2007
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:40:50 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > I'm getting the following error on your website
    > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
    >
    >> Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    >> You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    >> because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    >> with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
    >> installed, try using that browser instead.
    >>
    >> There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
    >> about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
    >>
    >> * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
    >> * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
    >>
    >> You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
    >>
    >> Email for technical assistance.
    >>
    >> Your Browser Signature is:
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    >> Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > design.
    >
    > You have lost me as a student.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    You have been somewhat short with these chaps. You need to explain, in
    detail that there is a whole organisation which suggests the standards
    which a web site, any web site should meet, which allows any web browser,
    which meets the standard to be used just fine.

    Blue, Jan 13, 2007
  13. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Jan 13, 2007
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Jan 13, 2007
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Bobs Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > I'm getting the following error on your website
    > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
    >
    > > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    > > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    > > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    > > with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
    > > installed, try using that browser instead.
    > >
    > > There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
    > > about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
    > >
    > > * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
    > > * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
    > >
    > > You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
    > >
    > > Email for technical assistance.
    > >
    > > Your Browser Signature is:
    > > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    > > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > design.
    >
    > You have lost me as a student.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I'm sure Waikato is crying in their soup to lose such a rude and
    obnoxious pimply faced cretin like you.

    Go out and get some pussy.

    Bobs, Jan 13, 2007
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Bobs Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > >> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > >> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > >> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > >> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > >> design.

    > > The site fails html validation check too ...
    > > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz
    > >
    > > If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
    > > rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.
    > >

    > > Peter

    > In their defence the academics will have very little to do with ITS.

    Thank god for that. We all know how good "academics" are in the real
    world. I'm sure they can design large scale networks on paper, but in
    the real world they probably struggle to connect two pcs.

    Bobs, Jan 13, 2007
  17. Bobs <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > I'm getting the following error on your website
    > > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
    > >
    > > > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
    > > > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
    > > > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
    > > > with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
    > > > installed, try using that browser instead.
    > > >
    > > > There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
    > > > about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
    > > >
    > > > * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
    > > > * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
    > > >
    > > > You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
    > > >
    > > > Email for technical assistance.
    > > >
    > > > Your Browser Signature is:
    > > > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
    > > > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

    > > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > > design.
    > >
    > > You have lost me as a student.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > I'm sure Waikato is crying in their soup to lose such a rude and
    > obnoxious pimply faced cretin like you.

    I'm 28 dumbarse.

    > Go out and get some pussy.

    Wow, what an amazingly sophisticated response :-D

    > > --
    > > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    Use a decent Usenet client that will trim sigs.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 13, 2007
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    chris Guest

    In article <eo7e2q$k0t$>,
    says...
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
    > > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just piss
    > > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
    > > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
    > > design.

    > The site fails html validation check too ...
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz
    >
    > If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
    > rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

    I work for a uni ITS department and we have nothing to do with the
    content of the external websites. We just support the hardware and OS on
    the webservers. The webteam, which is part of the marketing department,
    do the content and scripts. This is probably similar at most other
    universities.

    Our website is very broken under anything other than IE6/7, and the
    webteam don't care. The management think the sun shines out of their ass
    and believe all their BS.

    chris, Jan 13, 2007
  19. On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:24:12 +1300, chris wrote:

    > Our website is very broken under anything other than IE6/7, and the
    > webteam don't care. The management think the sun shines out of their ass
    > and believe all their BS.

    Anything earlier than Firefox 1.0 doesn't really matter.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 13, 2007
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Bobs Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Bobs <> wrote:

    > > I'm sure Waikato is crying in their soup to lose such a rude and
    > > obnoxious pimply faced cretin like you.

    > I'm 28 dumbarse.
    >
    > > Go out and get some pussy.

    > Wow, what an amazingly sophisticated response :-D

    Almost as sophisticated as your original email. I mean, really. You
    could have just told them politely, rather than getting all stroppy
    about it. Hardly a professional look.

    Yeah, the website sucks arse. No argument there. But it seems to be me
    that universities websites tend to suck for some reason. Although
    Waikato does tend to take it to a new level of shitness, but then
    again, the same can be said for their university in general.

    Bobs, Jan 13, 2007