    have found two different commands that are suppose to tell me what my
    usbdrive is (eg. sda) but neither command has helped the way it is written
    on the webpage, fdisk -l and dmesg | grep scsi -A 3.

    blanking, Aug 10, 2007

  2. blanking

    Shane Guest

    blanking wrote:

    > Having some frustration trying to setup a usbflash drive with dsl, there
    > is an option when I run dsl from a live cd to install to a pendrive,
    > problem is i am a total beginner at linux so I don't want to muckup my
    > harddrive by accident, the main frustration has been that through internet
    > searches I have found two different commands that are suppose to tell me
    > what my usbdrive is (eg. sda) but neither command has helped the way it is
    > written on the webpage, fdisk -l and dmesg | grep scsi -A 3.

    Unplug your Hard Drive
    --
    Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order divisible by
    p^k?

    Shane, Aug 10, 2007

  3. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >
    >> Having some frustration trying to setup a usbflash drive with dsl, there
    >> is an option when I run dsl from a live cd to install to a pendrive,
    >> problem is i am a total beginner at linux so I don't want to muckup my
    >> harddrive by accident, the main frustration has been that through
    >> internet
    >> searches I have found two different commands that are suppose to tell me
    >> what my usbdrive is (eg. sda) but neither command has helped the way it
    >> is
    >> written on the webpage, fdisk -l and dmesg | grep scsi -A 3.

    > Unplug your Hard Drive
    > --
    > Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order divisible
    > by
    > p^k?
    > A: A psilocybin p-subgroup.

    Thanks, sounds like a good idea in theory but what about just disabling it
    in the bias and will linux(dsl) livecd still run?

    blanking, Aug 10, 2007
  4. In message <>, blanking wrote:

    > Having some frustration trying to setup a usbflash drive with dsl, there
    > is an option when I run dsl from a live cd to install to a pendrive,
    > problem is i am a total beginner at linux so I don't want to muckup my
    > harddrive by accident...

    I would recommend using a number of commands throughout the process, to give
    you greater confidence that you know what's going on.

    First, start _without_ the USB drive plugged in.

    Try

    df

    to show what volumes are currently mounted. On the left you will see the
    device names, e.g. "/dev/sda5" -- the "5" is the partition number, the part
    before it, "sda", is the disk name.

    Also try

    ls /sys/block

    to see what block devices your kernel knows about. Ignore the names
    beginning "loop" and "ram", and also "fd" (floppy) if you have that. Make a
    note of the remaining names as a starting point. You should at least see a
    name (or names) corresponding to what appeared in the "df" listing above.

    Next, start the command

    tail -f /var/log/messages

    which will give a continuous monitoring of messages in your system log
    (syslog). Watch what appears in this window as you plug in the USB drive:
    within about 10-20 seconds, you should see messages about a new device
    appearing, perhaps called "sdb".

    Hit CTRL/C to terminate the syslog monitoring command. Do the

    ls /sys/block

    again, and see what new device has appeared compared with the previous
    listing. That name should agree with what you saw in the log, which will
    confirm the name given to the USB device.

    Hope that helps. The important point is to build up a picture of how your
    system works through these commands, rather than simply following recipes
    by rote.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  5. blanking

    Shane Guest

    blanking wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having some frustration trying to setup a usbflash drive with dsl, there
    >>> is an option when I run dsl from a live cd to install to a pendrive,
    >>> problem is i am a total beginner at linux so I don't want to muckup my
    >>> harddrive by accident, the main frustration has been that through
    >>> internet
    >>> searches I have found two different commands that are suppose to tell me
    >>> what my usbdrive is (eg. sda) but neither command has helped the way it
    >>> is
    >>> written on the webpage, fdisk -l and dmesg | grep scsi -A 3.

    >> Unplug your Hard Drive
    >> --
    >> Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order divisible
    >> by
    >> p^k?
    >> A: A psilocybin p-subgroup.
    >>

    > Thanks, sounds like a good idea in theory but what about just disabling it
    > in the bias

    You're looking for a software solution. The real options are
    1) figuring out which device node has been assigned to your pendrive
    (a further option for you to do the above, assuming the pendrive is mounted,
    is to run $ df -h, and look for a drive that has the appropriate disk
    space)

    2) disconnecting the harddrive physically to stop yourselfscrewing it up.

    > and will linux(dsl) livecd still run?

    Live cds need a cd drive and ram, not disk space.

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

    Shane, Aug 10, 2007
  6. blanking

    > blanking wrote:
    >

    >> "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    >>> Unplug your Hard Drive
    >>> --
    >>> Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order
    >>> divisible
    >>> by
    >>> p^k?
    >>> A: A psilocybin p-subgroup.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, sounds like a good idea in theory but what about just disabling
    >> it
    >> in the bias

    > You're looking for a software solution. The real options are
    > 1) figuring out which device node has been assigned to your pendrive
    > (a further option for you to do the above, assuming the pendrive is
    > mounted,
    > is to run $ df -h, and look for a drive that has the appropriate disk
    > space)

    Thanks, I assumed the pendrive mounted automatically when dsl loaded, if not
    how do I mount it.

    blanking, Aug 10, 2007
  7. blanking

    Shane Guest

    blanking wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, sounds like a good idea in theory but what about just disabling
    >>> it
    >>> in the bias

    >> You're looking for a software solution. The real options are
    >> 1) figuring out which device node has been assigned to your pendrive
    >> (a further option for you to do the above, assuming the pendrive is
    >> mounted,
    >> is to run $ df -h, and look for a drive that has the appropriate disk
    >> space)
    >>

    > Thanks, I assumed the pendrive mounted automatically when dsl loaded, if
    > not how do I mount it.

    Thats what all those instructions you were posting earlier were aimed at
    doing (finding it)
    Once found you mount it at a mount point.
    eg
    # mkdir /mnt/pendrive
    # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/pendrive
    (assuming your device node is /dev/sda1)

    >> 2) disconnecting the harddrive physically to stop yourselfscrewing it up.
    >>
    >>> and will linux(dsl) livecd still run?

    >> Live cds need a cd drive and ram, not disk space.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    >> A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his
    >> work - the philosopher can do without the trash bin...

    --
    Q: What did the constipated mathematician do?
    A: He worked it out with a pencil!

    Shane, Aug 10, 2007
  8. In message <46bbb3c5$>, blanking wrote:

    > ... I assumed the pendrive mounted automatically when dsl loaded, if
    > not how do I mount it.

    Many distros do provide facilities for automounting hot-plug devices,
    commonly in a "/media" directory. If DamnSmallLinux doesn't do this, you
    should be able to manually mount the device as (assuming it's
    called "/dev/sdc")

    mount /dev/sdc /mnt

    or perhaps

    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt

    "/mnt" is a temporary mount point that you should normally be able to use in
    lieu of something else--assuming DSL doesn't use it for its own purposes.
    (Use the "df" command I mentioned earlier to check this first.)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  9. blanking

    Rob S Guest

    In dsl there is a graphical mounting tool, in the bottom right corner of
    your screen. Once you have plugged your usb drive in, click on the mount
    tool where it says "floppy", it will change to "cdrom" then next click
    it should show your usb drive as "sda1", click below where it says
    "unmounted" and it will change to "mounted".

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Microsoft Windows: computing While U Wait,

    Rob S, Aug 10, 2007
  10. blanking

    Shane Guest

    Rob S wrote:

    > In dsl there is a graphical mounting tool, in the bottom right corner of
    > your screen. Once you have plugged your usb drive in, click on the mount
    > tool where it says "floppy", it will change to "cdrom" then next click
    > it should show your usb drive as "sda1", click below where it says
    > "unmounted" and it will change to "mounted".

    My only concern was if his hard drives were SATA, they are allotted sda
    nodes. Therefore sda1 would be his first HDD.
    --
    Q: What's yellow and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?
    A: Zorn's Lemon.

    Shane, Aug 10, 2007
  11. blanking

    Rob S Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >
    >> In dsl there is a graphical mounting tool, in the bottom right corner of
    >> your screen. Once you have plugged your usb drive in, click on the mount
    >> tool where it says "floppy", it will change to "cdrom" then next click
    >> it should show your usb drive as "sda1", click below where it says
    >> "unmounted" and it will change to "mounted".
    >>

    > My only concern was if his hard drives were SATA, they are allotted sda
    > nodes. Therefore sda1 would be his first HDD.

    True. But the mount gui does not show the hard drives, so anything else
    showing other than floppy or cdrom must be his usb drive. To be
    completely sure, click through the options before plugging in the usb
    drive then again after. Anything new is the usb drive.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use Unix. - W.
    davidson

    Rob S, Aug 10, 2007