Frustrating wireless networking problem.....please help.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Drummerboy, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    I have two pc's connected via usb wireless network adapters in adhoc
    mode....both running Windows 98.
    My pc is the host and connects to the net via a bradband usb modem and I
    dont have any problems.
    My daughters pc which is new will not connect to the internet through the
    network even though both pc's can see each other and transfer files without
    any problems.
    My daughters pc is new and her old pc found the internet connection straight
    away.
    So I know that the problem isnt with my pc as I havent changed any settings.
    I have checked and double checked all available settings in network
    properties and everything seems fine.
    I have ICS installed on my pc.
    I have tried disabling Zonealarm even though her pc is in the trusted zone.
    I have disabled Trend Micro Pccillin antivirus but still no connection.
    I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can spare some time to
    help me with this problem as its really stressing me out.

    Drummerboy, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Is the new PC running Windows XP?

    If it is, Start->Run...->type "cmd"->type "ipconfig /all" and post the
    results.

    If the new PC is running Windows 98, you want to run "winipcfg" (or similar;
    the last time I did this was many years ago) in order to see the settings.
    Compare what you see on the old and new PC.

    Does the new PC have TCP/IP enabled for the network card (check the device
    settings)? You can transfer files on a LAN using IPX/SPX and other
    protocols but those protocols will not work for accessing the internet.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
    information.
    I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
    1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
    2:ICS share adapter.
    3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
    4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.

    And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
    1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
    2:BT Voyager USB adapter.

    Drummerboy, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Drummerboy

    Kerry Brown Guest

    > Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
    > information.
    > I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
    > 1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
    > 2:ICS share adapter.
    > 3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
    > 4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.
    >
    > And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
    > 1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
    > 2:BT Voyager USB adapter.

    Not sure if I understand what you are trying to do, but it looks like you
    are not using the on-board NIC's (i.e. VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter).
    If this is the case try disabling this in the BIOS of the problem computer.

    Kerry

    Kerry Brown, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Can you post the IP and Gateway addresses that you get on the computer that
    works and the one that does not?

    Yves Konigshofer, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    Yes I could if I new how to find that information.
    Can you help me with that?

    Drummerboy, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    I did it.
    Here goes.
    My computer.

    Windows 98 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : ELLIS AND DAD
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 62.241.162.200
    158.43.240.3
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-90-96-6C-FC-04
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    1 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : ICSHARE Adapter.
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 81.178.78.14
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 81.178.78.14
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
    My daughters machine.

    Windows 98 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : GRACE
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    192.168.0.1
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    1 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-11-D8-2E-09-55
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.85
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:33
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 27 05 11:40:33

    2 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-90-96-77-3F-BB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:45

    Drummerboy, Mar 13, 2005
  8. Weird. You have a lot of network adapters.

    The one thing I notice is that on "GRACE" the DNS servers are configured as
    192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.1. The "BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter" on that
    computer has the IP address of 192.168.0.2 and thus DNS lookups on that
    computer might be sent to itself. On "ELLIS AND DAD" the DNS servers are
    62.241.162.200 and 158.43.240.3 and similar numbers should appear on "GRACE"
    unless ICS also sets up a DNS server on "ELLIS AND DAD" in which case only
    192.168.0.1 should appear (not 192.168.0.2).

    On "GRACE," if you ping 171.67.1.1 do you get a reply? (open up a command
    prompt and type "ping 171.67.1.1"; I think that ping should be in Windows
    98) If you get a reply but cannot otherwise access the internet, then it's
    a DNS issue.

    Also, on "GRACE," is the "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter" connected to
    something?

    You might want to look into replacing the broadband USB modem with one that
    could be connected to a computer through ethernet. That way you can connect
    a router to it and simplify the network a bit. By putting a router between
    the internet and your network, you also have an effective way to keep a
    large number of worms from reaching your computers.

    Yves Konigshofer, Mar 14, 2005
  9. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    Hello
    I've got it working.
    Someone advised me to remove TCP/IP settings for anything but Wireless
    network adapter and hey presto its working.
    Thankyou very much for the help you gave me.
    If it wasn't for people like you then people like me wouldn't be able to
    enjoy computers so much.
    Regards
    Steve.

> [...]

    > > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    > > Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    > > Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    > > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:33
    > > Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 27 05 11:40:33
    > >
    > > 2 Ethernet adapter :
    > >
    > > Description . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter
    > > Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-90-96-77-3F-BB
    > > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    > > IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    > > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    > > Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    > > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    > > Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    > > Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    > > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:45
    > > Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 14 05 11:40:45
    > > "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > >> Yes I could if I new how to find that information.

    message

    Drummerboy, Mar 15, 2005