frustrating results video burning

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Pascal, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Pascal

    Pascal Guest

    Hello,

    Can somebody help me out of this problem?
    I often tried to burn a Avi, in different formats (for almost a whole year
    now!)
    When I download a file from internet, I can burn it and all formats work on
    my stand-alone Philips DVD player (737).
    But,
    When I capture from my camera, and export that to any format,
    I get a very bad result.
    Mostly no sound, always bad colors.
    I used Ulead, Adobe premiere, ... same results!
    I used all sorts of formats (divx, xvid, mpeg2 , wmv, ...) always problems.

    I'm tired to try out different settings every time, knowing the result will
    be bad again and again.

    Could it be I have bad codecs??
    Where are those codecs stored in Win XP, and where can I download better
    codecs?

    Pascal.

    Pascal, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Pascal

    tman Guest

    "Pascal" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > Can somebody help me out of this problem?
    > I often tried to burn a Avi, in different formats (for almost a whole
    > year now!)
    > When I download a file from internet, I can burn it and all formats
    > work on my stand-alone Philips DVD player (737).
    > But,
    > When I capture from my camera, and export that to any format,
    > I get a very bad result.
    > Mostly no sound, always bad colors.
    > I used Ulead, Adobe premiere, ... same results!
    > I used all sorts of formats (divx, xvid, mpeg2 , wmv, ...) always
    > problems.
    >
    > I'm tired to try out different settings every time, knowing the result
    > will be bad again and again.
    >
    > Could it be I have bad codecs??
    > Where are those codecs stored in Win XP, and where can I download
    > better codecs?
    >
    > Pascal.

    You need to give some more info such as:

    1. What is your source - analog or digital?
    2. Are you using a capture card or device?
    3. How are you capturing? Are you using firewire or usb 2.0
    4. What format are you capturing to - mpeg1, mpeg2, avi?
    5. Computer specs - CPU speed, memory, hard drive space, etc.

    Tom

    tman, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Pascal

    Pascal Guest

    "tman" <> schreef in bericht

    > You need to give some more info such as:
    >
    > 1. What is your source - analog or digital?

    Digital

    > 2. Are you using a capture card or device?

    My pc (a firewirecard with 3 firewire inputs)

    > 3. How are you capturing? Are you using firewire or usb 2.0

    Firewire

    > 4. What format are you capturing to - mpeg1, mpeg2, avi?

    DV format (= full format, not compressed), and then I export to mpeg 2 or
    divx or xvid or wmv (I tried all sorts of formats, with all sorts of
    settings)

    > 5. Computer specs - CPU speed, memory, hard drive space, etc.

    XP2000 512Mbram 3th disk: 120gig

    > Tom

    I have no problem when I play those exported files on my pc. Only the stand
    alone player (philips dvd737) gives the problems , and only with the avi's
    created by me, and not those downloaded avi's from internet.
    In fact that dvdplayer plays almost 'any' format! divx, xvid, mpeg2,
    etc....

    Pascal.

    Pascal, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Pascal

    tman Guest

    "Pascal" <> wrote in

    > "tman" <> schreef in bericht
    >

    >> You need to give some more info such as:
    >>
    >> 1. What is your source - analog or digital?

    > Digital
    >
    >> 2. Are you using a capture card or device?

    > My pc (a firewirecard with 3 firewire inputs)
    >
    >> 3. How are you capturing? Are you using firewire or usb 2.0

    > Firewire
    >
    >> 4. What format are you capturing to - mpeg1, mpeg2, avi?

    > DV format (= full format, not compressed), and then I export to mpeg 2
    > or divx or xvid or wmv (I tried all sorts of formats, with all sorts
    > of settings)
    >
    >> 5. Computer specs - CPU speed, memory, hard drive space, etc.

    > XP2000 512Mbram 3th disk: 120gig
    >>
    >> Tom

    > I have no problem when I play those exported files on my pc. Only the
    > stand alone player (philips dvd737) gives the problems , and only
    > with the avi's created by me, and not those downloaded avi's from
    > internet. In fact that dvdplayer plays almost 'any' format! divx,
    > xvid, mpeg2, etc....
    >
    > Pascal.

    Your computer is certainly up to the task of capturing & processing digital
    video. Just watch out for dropped frames. A separate drive for video
    capture is recommended but I have had no problems capturing to a partition
    on single drive systems. Just be sure to keep the defrag the partition
    often.
    When you export to xvid be sure that the QPel or GMC settings are off. I'm
    new to creating Xvids so I can't tell you what they do but I have learned
    that if either one of these settings is used, the file won't play on my
    Philips DVP-642. There is s free program called MPEG4Modifier which can
    tell you if a file uses these settings. I can't remember the web site but a
    Google search should find it. I have also found that if the the xvid
    resolution is too high (such as 920x???) it won't play. I've hit a couple
    made from hires sources with this problem.

    Hope this helps some.

    Tom

    tman, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Pascal

    Pascal Guest

    "tman" <> schreef in bericht

    > Your computer is certainly up to the task of capturing & processing
    > digital
    > video. Just watch out for dropped frames. A separate drive for video
    > capture is recommended but I have had no problems capturing to a partition
    > on single drive systems. Just be sure to keep the defrag the partition
    > often.

    There are no drops, and the captured big files format all are very well.

    > When you export to xvid be sure that the QPel or GMC settings are off. I'm
    > new to creating Xvids so I can't tell you what they do but I have learned
    > that if either one of these settings is used, the file won't play on my
    > Philips DVP-642. There is s free program called MPEG4Modifier which can
    > tell you if a file uses these settings. I can't remember the web site but
    > Google search should find it. I have also found that if the the xvid
    > resolution is too high (such as 920x???) it won't play. I've hit a couple
    > made from hires sources with this problem.
    >
    > Hope this helps some.

    I will try it out!
    Thanks !!
    Pascal.