    the cross-over to a single PC

    Ideas????

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 22, 2006

  2. JohnF

    Au79 Guest

    JohnF wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up our old NetGear RT-311 router on an existing
    > network/internet connection. Long story short, I can use a cross-over
    > cable to my laptop and access the router and internet just fine so I
    > know the connection is there. BUT, when I try to connect the router
    > (single local port) to a hub it won't work, I get no internet and
    > can't get to the router from any computer in the system. I tried the
    > straight cable, the cross-over cable, 2 different hubs and hooking up
    > to both the uplink port and a local port on the hubs but don't get
    > connectivity. Using the cross-over cable to the uplink port on the hub
    > the router shows connection on the router local port but I don't get
    > any internet and can't get to the router setup. i put the old router
    > back in and all is fine and, as i said, the NetGear works fine with
    > the cross-over to a single PC
    >
    > Ideas????
    >
    > JohnF

    You need to post your problem to a ng more specific to the topic of
    networking.

    With that said, I would try to connect the router to the hub with a straight
    cat5 cable and make sure the hub is not in 'uplink' mode; then try to ping
    the router. If you get a response, then it may be an addressing or DHCP
    problem.

    Au79, Jul 22, 2006

  3. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-22, JohnF <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up our old NetGear RT-311 router on an existing
    > network/internet connection. Long story short, I can use a cross-over
    > cable to my laptop and access the router and internet just fine so I
    > know the connection is there. BUT, when I try to connect the router
    > (single local port) to a hub it won't work, I get no internet and
    > can't get to the router from any computer in the system. I tried the
    > straight cable, the cross-over cable, 2 different hubs and hooking up
    > to both the uplink port and a local port on the hubs but don't get
    > connectivity. Using the cross-over cable to the uplink port on the hub
    > the router shows connection on the router local port but I don't get
    > any internet and can't get to the router setup. i put the old router
    > back in and all is fine and, as i said, the NetGear works fine with
    > the cross-over to a single PC
    >
    > Ideas????

    Some ideas, for what they're worth :)

    1) You are getting a connection with the single computer. Can you use
    that computer to configure the router or is the router seeming to act
    like a passive connection? Can the laptop connect directly to the net
    without the router, via the dsl or modem? The cable or DSL connection
    may have a particular MAC address for the device that is "registered"
    and the router will have a different one. Routers may let you clone the
    MAC address so that the router appears to be whatever the connection
    provider thought it was originally. Without that, the provider may be
    filtering any MAC addresses that it doesn't know about. The router is
    supposed to act as the single MAC address/ IP address regardless of what
    else is connected via the private LAN.

    It sounds like the router is not doing anything but providing a
    pass-through connection and I'm sorta assuming that the single Internet
    connection is a single IP number. You're not getting anything with the
    hubs because they are all conflicting over that single IP and the MAC
    address associated with the IP is the only one allowed.

    2) Routers are computers and they are network devices so you can use
    telnet to connect. Do you know how? A lot of devices have default
    passwords of 1234 (this little stereo/dvd player I bought with "parental
    controls" has a default password of 1234, as an aside).

    Telnet to the router and use 1234 as the password. Do you see a menu?
    Most routers default to 192.168.0.1 as their private IP.
    telnet 192.168.0.1 may get you to the password screen.

    3) http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=318

    In general, Practically Networked is a good reference. The url above is
    a review of your router. I didn't read it but maybe it will help.

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?

    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
  4. JohnF

    Duane Arnold Guest

    JohnF wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up our old NetGear RT-311 router on an existing
    > network/internet connection. Long story short, I can use a cross-over
    > cable to my laptop and access the router and internet just fine so I
    > know the connection is there. BUT, when I try to connect the router
    > (single local port) to a hub it won't work, I get no internet and
    > can't get to the router from any computer in the system. I tried the
    > straight cable, the cross-over cable, 2 different hubs and hooking up
    > to both the uplink port and a local port on the hubs but don't get
    > connectivity. Using the cross-over cable to the uplink port on the hub
    > the router shows connection on the router local port but I don't get
    > any internet and can't get to the router setup. i put the old router
    > back in and all is fine and, as i said, the NetGear works fine with
    > the cross-over to a single PC
    >
    > Ideas????
    >
    > JohnF

    If you can disable the DHCP server on the router, if it has one, then
    the router just becomes a switch and is no longer a router. You can then
    plug it into a LAN port of a router using a static IP on the gateway
    router as the device IP of the router, along with the switch using the
    Subnet mask of the gateway router too.

    In general, whatever the gateway solution is, you set the router now a
    switch to use an IP on the gateway as the Device IP, the Subnet mask of
    the gateway, you can plug it into a standalone hub or switch and it will
    be just another switch on the network.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 22, 2006
  5. JohnF

    Mike Easter Guest

    JohnF wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up our old NetGear RT-311 router on an existing
    > network/internet connection.

    Netgear has installation and troubleshooting manuals and firmware
    upgrades here, including firmware installation instructions.

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/rt311.asp RT311 - DSL and Cable
    Internet Gateway Router with 10/100 Interface

    Tim Higgins has quite a number of articles about that router here
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=318 Netgear RT311
    Internet Access Gateway Router

    ... but his links for firmware and netgear and zyxel [Netgear RT311 =
    ZyXEL Prestige 310] site resources are stale/broken and don't work, so
    use the Netgear link I show above.

    > Long story short, I can use a cross-over
    > cable to my laptop and access the router and internet just fine so I
    > know the connection is there. BUT, when I try to connect the router
    > (single local port) to a hub it won't work, I get no internet and
    > can't get to the router from any computer in the system.

    Netgear has a troubleshooting article called "No Internet Through the
    Router"

    > I tried the
    > straight cable, the cross-over cable, 2 different hubs and hooking up
    > to both the uplink port and a local port on the hubs but don't get
    > connectivity. Using the cross-over cable to the uplink port on the hub
    > the router shows connection on the router local port but I don't get
    > any internet and can't get to the router setup. i put the old router
    > back in and all is fine and, as i said, the NetGear works fine with
    > the cross-over to a single PC
    >
    > Ideas????

    You can upgrade the firmware by FTP or serial. Higgins sez it is
    'difficult'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 22, 2006
  6. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:09:02 GMT, JohnF wrote:

    >I'm trying to set up our old NetGear RT-311 router on an existing

    That's just an RT314 with 1 port, with a handy feature , sadly lacking
    nowdays. If you get a serial cable, you can connect to the RS232
    management port and access the 311 config Hyperterminal or other dumb
    terminal app.

    >network/internet connection. Long story short, I can use a cross-over
    >cable to my laptop and access the router and internet just fine so I

    Odd, I have never used a x-over cable on the WAN or LAN side to connect
    to the 314.

    >know the connection is there. BUT, when I try to connect the router
    >(single local port) to a hub it won't work, I get no internet and

    So how does that go? You are connecting a hub (a collection of ports of
    some unspecified make / model of hardware ) to the LAN side of the 311.

    >can't get to the router from any computer in the system. I tried the
    >straight cable, the cross-over cable, 2 different hubs and hooking up
    >to both the uplink port and a local port on the hubs but don't get

    Keep it simple, use only patch cables (straight) and the uplink port on
    the hub (or switch). This way you only have the 1 uplink port (socket or
    push button) to manage.

    >connectivity. Using the cross-over cable to the uplink port on the hub
    >the router shows connection on the router local port but I don't get

    This is shown how, the link LEDs?

    The LEDs generally only indicate an electrical , physical cable
    connection.

    >any internet and can't get to the router setup. i put the old router

    Checked the IP address lease isn't broken?

    >back in and all is fine and, as i said, the NetGear works fine with
    >the cross-over to a single PC

    Duplex mismatch / Speed.

    Usually if you are connecting

    ISP box - patch - RT311 - crossover- PC

    ISP box - patch - RT311 - patch - switch/hub.

    As mentioned, the firmware u/g is an option and it's fairly simple, FTP
    method works best.

    Here is how my RT314 is setup,

    ISP Surfboard 5101E - patch - RT314 WAN (Internet)

    RT314 (Local) ports -
    1: (Local) - patch - (100Mbps/FD) Netgear GS104 port 4
    2: (Local) - patch - (100Mbps/FD) Netgear DS104 port 4 (press button to
    uplink mode)
    3: (Local) - patch - (10Mbps/FD) unbranded cheap repeater, dedicated
    uplink port.

    Me

    why?, Jul 22, 2006
  7. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm trying to set up our old NetGear RT-311 router on an existing
    >network/internet connection. Long story short, I can use a cross-over

    Got it
    I transposed numbers on subnet mask. Working fine now but i did have
    to use a crossover cable fron the local port on the router to the
    uplink port on the hub.

    Another fun thing;
    I have found several Cat5 cables with the molded ends are not working.
    I kept losing connectivity on 1 batch of comps after a hub and had
    trouble with a couple cables into the new hub at the router. Turns out
    all had molded on RJ45 connectors. I replaced the ends with universal
    crimp on ends and everything worked fine afterwords. Troubleshooting
    that was a real pain in the a$$.

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 25, 2006