    I call today and find out (even though it says on the website that you can)
    Does anyone know if the retail version will be out soon and can I trade my
    copy of XP pro in?
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBDb29rZQ==?=, Jun 16, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBDb29rZQ==?=

    JBM Guest

    "Andy Cooke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I will make this short,,,,I really like WinX64 and wanted to buy.
    > Unfortunatly I built my own and went out and bought the retail of WinXP
    > Pro.
    > I call today and find out (even though it says on the website that you
    > can)
    > Does anyone know if the retail version will be out soon and can I trade my
    > copy of XP pro in?

    There will be no retail version only oem. It comes installed on a computer
    or
    through a system builder. Just search on the net. Or you can buy it at
    egghead
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=368
    I got my copy at a local shop.

    Jim M
    JBM, Jun 16, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBDb29rZQ==?=

    JBM Guest

    "Andy Cooke" <> wrote in message
    >I will make this short,,,,I really like WinX64 and wanted to buy.
    > Unfortunatly I built my own and went out and bought the retail of WinXP
    > Pro.
    > I call today and find out (even though it says on the website that you
    > can)
    > Does anyone know if the retail version will be out soon and can I trade my
    > copy of XP pro in?

    Forgot here's the link to the exchange program,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx
    JBM, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Retail XP Pro is eligible for the Technology Advancement Program, if that's
    what you want to do. And while there is not a Retail package of x64 Edition,
    you can certainly buy a copy with any qualifying hardware purchase. And
    qualifying hardware purchase is quite creatively defined, we discover by
    looking at web sites of some of our favourite online retailers.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 16, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBDb29rZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Too bad you have to install x86 go get the PID since you already know you
    like x64 you obviously should exchange. Hope you are using the trial and
    can wait long enough for the exchange to happen.
    I am assuming you opened you new system or you could exchange it where you
    bought it.
    The exchange does include the retail version so you are eligible, so better
    get in line for your exchange.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  6. https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx

    Retail version came out last month but check the web site again and try to
    enter your Product ID.

    =?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxfRmFu?=, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Intel_Fan <> wrote:
    > https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx
    >
    > Retail version came out last month but check the web site again and
    > try to enter your Product ID.
    >

    > "Andy Cooke" wrote:
    >
    >> I will make this short,,,,I really like WinX64 and wanted to buy.
    >> Unfortunatly I built my own and went out and bought the retail of
    >> WinXP Pro. I call today and find out (even though it says on the
    >> website that you can) Does anyone know if the retail version will be
    >> out soon and can I trade my copy of XP pro in?

    No retail version buddy, only OEM or exchange program

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  8. And its way much cheaper than it would have been in retail! XP Professional
    (full) retails for $300, the upgrade for $200, so you save a lot through
    either the exchange program or buying it through system builder programs.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 16, 2005
  9. You can exchange it, or buy an OEM version if you want to keep the 32 bit
    version

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUxMDc3?=, Jun 16, 2005
  10. LOL....I did it,,,but,,,I had to reformat (the web site wouldn't accept m
    COA) go back to Winxp pro,,,copy the PID,,,reformat and put WinX64
    on,,,,,,,,MS is driving me nuts!

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBDb29rZQ==?=, Jun 16, 2005
  11. You didn't really have to format if you wanted to keep your existing 32 bit
    Windows XP. Yes you have to do clean install of XP Pro x64, but you have
    creating a new partition and install it on it, unless you were low on hard
    disk space.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  12. Ok, knew that was coming as soon as I hit post. I meant a puchasable release
    version rather than a Beta.

    It took about an hour to get the response message from MS after I plugged in
    the PID from my retail, as in not OEM, version of XPpro. ($12 s&h) but
    otherwise painless.

    =?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxfRmFu?=, Jun 17, 2005
  13. I don't mind,,,it's good practice and what the hell,,,,I really needed to
    clean it up anyhow!

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBDb29rZQ==?=, Jun 17, 2005