Frustrated about Vista WLAN connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Boris Schaeling, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. I'm using Windows Vista SP1 on a new laptop now for a month. While I'm
    rather satisfied with Vista I'm very frustrated about WLAN connectivity
    problems. Every morning I switch on my laptop it takes about 15 minutes
    until I'm finally online. I have to switch on and off the wireless card a
    couple of times, click on "Diagnose and repair" a few times, and if it
    doesn't work reboot some more. After 10 to 15 minutes the wireless
    connection is finally established and rock stable for the rest of the day.
    On the next morning the frustration starts again ...

    My wireless card is a Broadcom 4322 AG (driver up-to-date). The router I
    use is a FRITZ!Box 7170 (firmware up-to-date). I use DHCP. If I use an
    Ethernet cable to connect to the router there are no problems at all and
    I'm immediately online. If I use WLAN Windows Vista finds the wireless
    network pretty fast but can't identify it. I have then only local access
    and an APIPA IP address 169.254.195.158 assigned. I click then on
    "Diagnose and repair" a dozen times to request a new IP address and hope
    Windows Vista can finally identify the network correctly. If it doesn't
    work switching on/off the wireless card and some reboots sometimes help.

    I've read about and tried the various recommendations including setting
    registry keys like DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle and
    DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, changing the MTU from 1500 to 1492, disabling
    IP6, shutting down any antivirus software etc. - needless to say that it
    all didn't help. It's also needless to say that my old Windows XP laptop
    and any other non-Vista devices connect in a few seconds successfully.

    Given the amount of cries for help regarding Vista WLAN problems on the
    Internet I'm afraid that probably noone can help me in this newsgroup
    either. What would be really great though if Microsoft stepped up to
    acknowledge that there is a serious problem and takes steps to fix it. Of
    course I don't know if it's really Microsoft's fault. But it would help
    already if Vista tells me if it's the driver or router which causes
    problems so I know whom to complain about.

    Boris
    Boris Schaeling, Feb 19, 2009

  2. Have you checked if the hardware is compatible with Vista?
    Windows 2008 hardware compatible
    You can take a look at the Hardware Compatibility List for Vista,
    which should be roughly the same for Server 2008. You can find the Vista HCL
    here: ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewt...previous&sid=c86e1e17bacd49567d8d63f0f9f2dea8

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 19, 2009

  3. On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:46:24 +0100, Robert L. (MS-MVP)
    <> wrote:

    > Have you checked if the hardware is compatible with Vista?
    > Windows 2008 hardware compatible
    > You can take a look at the Hardware Compatibility List for Vista,
    > which should be roughly the same for Server 2008. You can find the Vista
    > HCL here: ...
    > www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewt...previous&sid=c86e1e17bacd49567d8d63f0f9f2dea8

    Thanks, I had a quick look: Neither my Broadcom wireless card nor the AVM
    router is listed. It looks like not many Broadcom products have been
    tested at all (there is only one certified Broadcom wireless card). The
    Broadcom driver I use is a Vista specific driver though.

    Boris
    Boris Schaeling, Feb 19, 2009
  4. Hi
    169.254.195.158 means that the Wireless card is not really connoting to the
    Wireless Router.
    It is a default IP that is assigned by Windows when it does not find a DHCP
    server.
    Some of the remedies that you try are Not related to the problem and might
    make it worse.
    Wireless is very tricky since it depends on the environment too.
    As a first step put every thing back to default, If you want to use Widows
    as the Wireless manager make sure that the original Wireless Utility does
    not load
    at Startup.
    Check the Wireless configuration and temporarily switch off the Wireless
    security in the Wireless Router and the computer, and try to adjust to
    different transmitting channels in the Router (1 and 11 are usually the
    best).
    If it does not work take the laptop to a public place (like Internet Cafe)
    and see if it works there. If it does work elsewhere then your problem might
    be in the Router.
    Otherwise take into consideration that there are Millions of Laptop with
    Vista that work well out of the box so general blames about the OS and its
    manufacturer is Not really the solution.
    Obviously there is trouble with your system if you can not find it on your
    own seek professional help (The need to switch on and off the Wireless card
    might indicate hardware problem).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 19, 2009
  5. On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:11:43 +0100, Jack (MVP-Networking).
    <> wrote:

    > Hi
    > 169.254.195.158 means that the Wireless card is not really connoting to
    > the Wireless Router.
    > It is a default IP that is assigned by Windows when it does not find a
    > DHCP server.

    Yes, it's an APIPA IP address.

    > Some of the remedies that you try are Not related to the problem and
    > might make it worse.

    I would be glad if there was a tutorial which explains step by step how to
    debug and fix this problem. As it doesn't seem to exist I had to search
    for and try the many recommendations which I found on the Internet.

    > Wireless is very tricky since it depends on the environment too.

    I have seen several Windows XP laptops, an Apple laptop and a Nintendo DS
    using the very same router without any problems for years. Why should it
    be trickier for Vista?

    > As a first step put every thing back to default, If you want to use
    > Widows as the Wireless manager make sure that the original Wireless
    > Utility does not load
    > at Startup.

    I don't have a wireless utility installed and use the Vista built-in
    functions.

    > Check the Wireless configuration and temporarily switch off the Wireless
    > security in the Wireless Router and the computer, and try to adjust to
    > different transmitting channels in the Router (1 and 11 are usually the
    > best).

    I see. I've tried WEP and WPA so far but will give an unsecured network a
    try.

    > If it does not work take the laptop to a public place (like Internet
    > Cafe) and see if it works there. If it does work elsewhere then your
    > problem might be in the Router.

    I had to connect to another wireless router four weeks ago which worked
    fine. At that time I wasn't aware though how serious my connectivity
    problems become and didn't look into it.

    > Otherwise take into consideration that there are Millions of Laptop with
    > Vista that work well out of the box so general blames about the OS and
    > its manufacturer is Not really the solution.

    I tried for one month to fix this problem myself. And I'm sure you are
    very well aware that there are millions of people who are not convinced
    about Vista precisely because of issues noone ever faced with XP.

    > Obviously there is trouble with your system if you can not find it on
    > your own seek professional help (The need to switch on and off the
    > Wireless card might indicate hardware problem).

    I doubt it's a hardware problem as the wireless card works perfectly all
    day once it has identified the network and got an IP address assigned from
    the DHCP server. It only takes way too long to get this address.

    Boris

    Boris Schaeling, Feb 19, 2009
  6. Hi
    I laid down a serious of functional suggestions.
    If you tried them and did Not help then we reached the limit of what I
    perceive that I can be do over a newsgroup without having the hardware in
    front of me.
    As an example numerous of time happened to me that people claimed that they
    are Not using the manufacture utility, just to find out later they did not
    know that the utility was loaded up with the drivers (some Wireless
    installations do it without informing the user) and installed a service that
    StartUp every time when the computer boots.
    I am not saying that the utility is necessarily the cause of your wireless
    system, but I do know that philosophical debates (I gave them up at the end
    of Graduate School) ;) - ;) are not going to help no matter what.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 19, 2009
  7. On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:08:14 +0100, Jack (MVP-Networking).
    <> wrote:

    > [...]I am not saying that the utility is necessarily the cause of your
    > wireless system, but I do know that philosophical debates (I gave them
    > up at the end of Graduate School) ;) - ;) are not going to help no
    > matter what.

    That's true. Unfortunately I don't know anymore either what to try. I
    guess I have to wait and install Vista Service Pack 2 and new drivers for
    my wireless card when they become available - and hope. :-/

    Boris

    Boris Schaeling, Feb 19, 2009
  8. Boris Schaeling

    John Guest

    It sounds like getting an IP from DHCP is the main problem here. What if you
    give Vista box a static IP, subnet mask etc? Does it connect to your WLAN
    right away?

    John, Feb 19, 2009
  9. On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:43:20 +0100, John <a> wrote:

    > It sounds like getting an IP from DHCP is the main problem here. What if
    > you
    > give Vista box a static IP, subnet mask etc? Does it connect to your WLAN
    > right away?

    A static IP address doesn't help unfortunately. I see that the static IP
    address, the subnet mask, the address of the default gateway etc. are all
    set correctly. And while the SSID is also correct there are packets sent
    but none received. When I click then on "Diagnose and repair" there is no
    repair option anymore (just a few recommendations). As I need to request a
    new dynamic IP address from the DHCP server a few times - so far that's
    the only option which after a couple of attempts suddenly works - I can't
    do anything anymore when I use a static IP address.

    I don't know what Vista is doing when it tries to connect to a wireless
    network. Is there any negotiating done? Does it try to detect the network
    capabilities? I wonder as even though I always have problems to connect to
    the network it also always works after 10 to 15 minutes (where I typically
    click on "Diagnose and repair" a dozen times; suddenly Vista gets the
    dynamic IP address and the laptop is online without any problems for the
    rest of the day).

    Boris

    Boris Schaeling, Feb 21, 2009
  10. Hi
    As much as I sympathize and understand your problem that is a functional
    problem.
    I have an extensive experience with Wireless and can tell you that most
    problems are not a result of OS (whether any Windows or other OS').
    Wireless Hardware is a little like the "Old Wild West" many manufacturer
    deviates "a little" from the strict standards', and drivers that the write
    are not very good either.
    When done professional it is vey easy to isolate the problem. I have few
    Wireless cards (mini, pcmcia, usb, and Routers that work like client
    wireless cards).
    I also have few Wireless Routers and Access Points. So it relatively easy
    for me to isolate the component that creates the problem.
    Try to borrow a PCMCIA, or a USB Wireless card from a friend, disable the
    current card and give it a try.
    In addition if it is Vista, I think that SP2 should be released in the near
    future.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 21, 2009
  11. Boris Schaeling

    Pavel A. Guest

    "John" <a> wrote in message news:...
    > It sounds like getting an IP from DHCP is the main problem here. What if
    > you give Vista box a static IP, subnet mask etc? Does it connect to your
    > WLAN right away?

    Indeed there was a dhcp related problem before SP1,
    IIRC it was too short timeout. It should be fixed now,
    so probably the OP has another problem, and SP2 is unlikely to fix this.

    -- pa

    Pavel A., Feb 21, 2009
  12. Boris Schaeling

    Pauline Guest

    Boris,

    What security are you using on the wireless router? WEP, WPA or WPA2

    I've seen a number of Vista computers that have problems with WEP. Try
    changing to WPA or WPA2 - if your router supports mixed mode then use that
    and see if that helps your connection problems.
    Pauline, Feb 22, 2009
  13. Boris Schaeling

    pdworker

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Changing from WEP to WPA has also worked solving a very similar problem with WLAN and Vista. In addition I had to set the SSID visible, i.e. having hidden SSID didn't work, netiher with WEP nor WPA
    pdworker, Aug 31, 2009