Frozen Firefox?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by John, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I recently upgraded my W98SE OS to Windows XP.
    By and large it went well, BUT:

    When I open Firefox, it _does_ open, but the page is pretty much unresponsive.
    If I click on "File", "Edit", "View", "Go" and other itms, nothing happens.
    If I click on the "Home" Icon, it seems to look for my homepage, and shows the
    title in the blue bar across the top, but nothing else happens.

    I uninstalled Firefox (1,04) and installed v. 1.06. No change.
    I have a DSL connection which functions correctly (otherwise I would not have
    been able to post this).
    If I try to enter text into the address bar, it does not show.
    If I click on the green "check for updates" arrow next to "Help", it actively
    looks afor updates, and reports "Firefox was not able to find any available
    updates" - not unreasonable, since the latest version is installed.

    Any suggestions as to how to get this to work?
    (Hate to admit it, but MS-IE, which is also installed, works OK).

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.

    John, Jul 21, 2005

  2. John

    Doug G Guest

    John wrote:
    > I recently upgraded my W98SE OS to Windows XP.
    > By and large it went well, BUT:
    >
    > When I open Firefox, it _does_ open, but the page is pretty much unresponsive.
    > If I click on "File", "Edit", "View", "Go" and other itms, nothing happens.
    > If I click on the "Home" Icon, it seems to look for my homepage, and shows the
    > title in the blue bar across the top, but nothing else happens.
    >
    > I uninstalled Firefox (1,04) and installed v. 1.06. No change.
    > I have a DSL connection which functions correctly (otherwise I would not have
    > been able to post this).
    > If I try to enter text into the address bar, it does not show.
    > If I click on the green "check for updates" arrow next to "Help", it actively
    > looks afor updates, and reports "Firefox was not able to find any available
    > updates" - not unreasonable, since the latest version is installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to get this to work?
    > (Hate to admit it, but MS-IE, which is also installed, works OK).
    >

    > John <><

    Try creating a new Firefox profile.

    Doug G, Jul 21, 2005