    This is a very basic question but here goes.

    If you were learning HTML why would you choose to learn it say from a book
    using Notepad to write the code, rather than using something like FrontPage?

    David James, Oct 23, 2003

  2. David James

    °Mike° Guest

    Because Frontpage creates crappy HTML code.

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
    <bn91pj$lto$>
    David James scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 23, 2003

  3. David James

    Harrison Guest

    FrontPage = Paint by numbers
    Coding = Rembrandt, Picasso, etc.

    If you want to basic web pages and stay within the lines, and there's
    nothing wrong with that, stick with FrontPage or similar.
    If you want to create something unique and original, then learn HTML,
    XML, JAVA, PERL, and so on.

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  4. David James

    Ralph Mann Guest

    David James said:

    > This is a very basic question but here goes.
    >
    > If you were learning HTML why would you choose to learn it say from a book
    > using Notepad to write the code, rather than using something like FrontPage?

    You don't learn anything when you use something that does everything for you.
    Apart from that, FP is crap.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 23, 2003
  5. David James

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:03:16 +0100, David James wrote:

    >This is a very basic question but here goes.

    Doesn't matter :)

    >If you were learning HTML why would you choose to learn it say from a book
    >using Notepad to write the code, rather than using something like FrontPage?

    Good book/Notepad and a few good web based tutorials.

    1. You actually learn HTML this way, unlike FP point and click most
    people are not interested in the actual (poor) HTML produced.

    That should be enough, however to continue -

    2. Keep to standards.

    3. More compact markup.

    4. Easier to ensure it works on multiple UA's (User Agents) browser,
    WAP, PDA , print, braille etc.

    5. You actually learn HTML this way, unlike FP point and click most
    people are not interested in the actual (poor) HTML produced.

    Me

    why?, Oct 23, 2003
  6. David James wrote:

    > This is a very basic question but here goes.

    > If you were learning HTML why would you choose to learn it say from a book
    > using Notepad to write the code, rather than using something like FrontPage?

    So you can *learn* it -- which is, after all, your premise.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    NEW 9/25/03:

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    "David James" <> wrote in message
    > This is a very basic question but here goes.
    >
    > If you were learning HTML why would you choose to learn it say from a book
    > using Notepad to write the code, rather than using something like

    FrontPage?

    Let me rephrase this somewhat.

    "If you were learning to build a house, why would you learn it from
    a book using hammer, saw, and nails, instead of buying one prebuilt?"

    FrontPage, as it tries to hide all the details, will also produce
    some pretty crappy code on the way.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 24, 2003
  8. David James

    d c Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Because Frontpage creates crappy HTML code.

    Of course, you can overwrite some of FP's tendencies to write stoopid
    code...

    --

    Snoop Dogg: Diary of a Pimp
    http://tinyurl.com/9v29

    d c, Oct 24, 2003
  9. David James

    Plato Guest

    David James wrote:

    > This is a very basic question but here goes.
    >
    > If you were learning HTML why would you choose to learn it say from a book
    > using Notepad to write the code, rather than using something like FrontPage?

    FrontPage wont teach you html at all as it's bloatwarecity and will
    produce 50 lines of code when you only need 5 to do the same thing. It'd
    be best to use a more simpler editor to learn the ropes. EasyHTML by
    toniarts is nice for that.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 24, 2003
  10. David James

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:25:39 -0400, d c wrote:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Because Frontpage creates crappy HTML code.

    >Of course, you can overwrite some of FP's tendencies to write stoopid
    >code...

    Not enough, however.... even in FP2003.

    Me

    why?, Oct 24, 2003
  11. David James

    David James Guest

    OK thanks guys. I was learning it from a book, but was just wondering.

    What's the difference between HTML and XML?

    David James, Oct 24, 2003
  12. David James

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:44:16 +0100, David James wrote:

    >OK thanks guys. I was learning it from a book, but was just wondering.
    >
    >What's the difference between HTML and XML?

    HTML
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HTML.html

    XML
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/X/XML.html

    I don't think I will be to far wrong with this simple version.

    Take SGML http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SGML.html as a way of marking
    up document features (and more) with a rule set. HTML is then a subset
    (but not exactly) of SGML that defines a specific set of markup tags
    used in say HTML 4.01 http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ .

    XML is then a step up on HTML / sideways of SGML it allows custom tags
    to be defined. So instead of the fixed set of HTML tags, it's possible
    to specify user defined tags.

    A simple XML chunk looks like,

    The header bit, (called a DTD, not always needed) describes the elements
    , data types, that make up a book(s) that is in the library.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE library [
    <!ATTLIST library xml:lang NMTOKEN 'en'>
    <!-- There must be at least one book but could be more -->
    <!ELEMENT library (book)+>
    <!--Specify the elements book is a parent of -->
    <!ELEMENT book (asurname, ainit, btitle, bseries, bown, bisbn, byear,
    bpage, bprice, btread, bgenre)>
    <!-- unique book reference number -->
    <!ATTLIST book refid ID #REQUIRED>
    <!-- All the elements below are character data -->
    <!ELEMENT asurname (#PCDATA)>

    <snip some of the example>

    <library>
    <book>
    <asurname>asurnameSurname</asurname>
    <ainit>asurnameInit</ainit>
    <btitle>BookTitle</btitle>
    <bseries>BookSeries</bseries>
    <bown>BookOwner</bown>
    <bisbn>BookISBN</bisbn>
    <byear>BookYear</byear>
    <bpage>BookPages</bpage>
    <bprice>BookPrice</bprice>
    <btread>TimesRead</btread>
    <bgenre>BookGenre</bgenre>
    </book>
    </library>

    So you can see that <library> is never an HTML tag or for that matter an
    SGML tag. However because of the definition of the library any
    application that processes the header knows how to deal with the data.

    This allows XML to esentially be a extremely portable database. As it's
    just a plain text file it can be processed by just about anything.

    See http://www.w3schools.com/ for HTML, XML and a lot of other good
    stuff. The XML foob menu demo is much better them the paste above as you
    can see the progression to a formatted output.

    why?, Oct 24, 2003
  13. David James

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:35:57 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:44:16 +0100, David James wrote:
    >
    >>OK thanks guys. I was learning it from a book, but was just wondering.
    >>
    >>What's the difference between HTML and XML?

    >HTML
    >http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HTML.html
    >
    >XML
    >http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/X/XML.html

    <snip>

    >See http://www.w3schools.com/ for HTML, XML and a lot of other good
    >stuff. The XML foob menu demo is much better them the paste above as you

    So when did the d in food, move away from the b key?

    >can see the progression to a formatted output.
    >
    >>"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >>> FrontPage = Paint by numbers
    >>> Coding = Rembrandt, Picasso, etc.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to basic web pages and stay within the lines, and there's
    >>> nothing wrong with that, stick with FrontPage or similar.
    >>> If you want to create something unique and original, then learn HTML,
    >>> XML, JAVA, PERL, and so on.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 24, 2003