Front panel FireWire

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PowerPost2000, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. I have an Antec case with front panel USB and fireWire and an A-Bit MB
    with a hook-up for each.

    the A-Bit manual shows the 9 pin plug and tells which wire goes where,
    but the wires from the case have different names.

    the book says:

    Pin 1: TPAO+
    Pin 2: TPAO-
    Pin 3: GND
    Pin 4: GND
    Pin 5: TPBO+
    Pin 6: TPBO-
    Pin 7:+12V
    Pin 8: +12v
    Pin 10: GND

    the wires from the case are:

    (1)+D
    (1)-D
    (2)+D
    (2)-D
    (1) Ground
    (1) Ground
    (2) Ground
    (1) +5V
    (2) +5V

    I figure the 3 wires marked ground hook to the GND pins, but does it
    matter which one?

    I'm also assuming the TPAO+ and TPAO- correspond to (1)D+/- and
    TPBO+/- go to (2)D+/-.

    does this sound right so far?

    finally, the two power wires hook to the two power pins, but it's
    asking for 5V and getting 12V.

    Any ideas how to make it work?

    BTW, I wrote to both Antec and A-Bit, and neither ever wrote back.

    thanks.

    PowerPost2000, Jan 6, 2005

  2. PowerPost2000

    Ingeborg Guest

    PowerPost2000 <> wrote in

    > I have an Antec case with front panel USB and fireWire and an A-Bit MB
    > with a hook-up for each.
    >
    > the A-Bit manual shows the 9 pin plug and tells which wire goes where,
    > but the wires from the case have different names.
    >
    > the book says:
    >
    > Pin 1: TPAO+
    > Pin 2: TPAO-
    > Pin 3: GND
    > Pin 4: GND
    > Pin 5: TPBO+
    > Pin 6: TPBO-
    > Pin 7:+12V
    > Pin 8: +12v
    > Pin 10: GND
    >

    > the wires from the case are:
    >
    > (1)+D
    > (1)-D
    > (2)+D
    > (2)-D
    > (1) Ground
    > (1) Ground
    > (2) Ground
    > (1) +5V
    > (2) +5V
    >
    > I figure the 3 wires marked ground hook to the GND pins, but does it
    > matter which one?
    >
    > I'm also assuming the TPAO+ and TPAO- correspond to (1)D+/- and
    > TPBO+/- go to (2)D+/-.
    >
    > does this sound right so far?
    >
    > finally, the two power wires hook to the two power pins, but it's
    > asking for 5V and getting 12V.
    >
    > Any ideas how to make it work?
    >
    > BTW, I wrote to both Antec and A-Bit, and neither ever wrote back.
    >
    > thanks.

    I think the mobo pins are firewire, while the casepins are 2 USB
    connectors. USB has 4 connections: +DATA, -DATA, GND and +5V.

    Firewire has 4 or 6 pins, +DATA1, -DATA1, +DATA2, -DATA2, and optionally
    it has two power pins, GND and +5...24V

    Ingeborg, Jan 6, 2005

  3. On 6 Jan 2005 09:01:31 GMT, Ingeborg <> wrote:

    >PowerPost2000 <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have an Antec case with front panel USB and fireWire and an A-Bit MB
    >> with a hook-up for each.
    >>
    >> the A-Bit manual shows the 9 pin plug and tells which wire goes where,
    >> but the wires from the case have different names.
    >>
    >> the book says:
    >>
    >> Pin 1: TPAO+
    >> Pin 2: TPAO-
    >> Pin 3: GND
    >> Pin 4: GND
    >> Pin 5: TPBO+
    >> Pin 6: TPBO-
    >> Pin 7:+12V
    >> Pin 8: +12v
    >> Pin 10: GND
    >>

    >> the wires from the case are:
    >>
    >> (1)+D
    >> (1)-D
    >> (2)+D
    >> (2)-D
    >> (1) Ground
    >> (1) Ground
    >> (2) Ground
    >> (1) +5V
    >> (2) +5V
    >>
    >> I figure the 3 wires marked ground hook to the GND pins, but does it
    >> matter which one?
    >>
    >> I'm also assuming the TPAO+ and TPAO- correspond to (1)D+/- and
    >> TPBO+/- go to (2)D+/-.
    >>
    >> does this sound right so far?
    >>
    >> finally, the two power wires hook to the two power pins, but it's
    >> asking for 5V and getting 12V.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to make it work?
    >>
    >> BTW, I wrote to both Antec and A-Bit, and neither ever wrote back.
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >>

    >I think the mobo pins are firewire, while the casepins are 2 USB
    >connectors. USB has 4 connections: +DATA, -DATA, GND and +5V.
    >
    >Firewire has 4 or 6 pins, +DATA1, -DATA1, +DATA2, -DATA2, and optionally
    >it has two power pins, GND and +5...24V

    It has 2 USBs on front, too. But the MB has 10 pins marked:

    1 VCC
    2 VCC
    3 Data0-
    4 Data1-
    5 Data0+
    6 Data1+
    7 Ground
    8 Ground
    9 NC
    10 NC

    And there are only 6 wires, named:

    TPA+
    TPA-
    TPB+
    TPB-
    VG
    VP

    PowerPost2000, Jan 6, 2005
  4. PowerPost2000

    Ingeborg Guest

    PowerPost2000 <> wrote in

    > On 6 Jan 2005 09:01:31 GMT, Ingeborg <> wrote:
    >
    >>PowerPost2000 <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have an Antec case with front panel USB and fireWire and an A-Bit

    MB
    >>> with a hook-up for each.
    >>>
    >>> the A-Bit manual shows the 9 pin plug and tells which wire goes

    where,
    >>> but the wires from the case have different names.
    >>>
    >>> the book says:
    >>>
    >>> Pin 1: TPAO+
    >>> Pin 2: TPAO-
    >>> Pin 3: GND
    >>> Pin 4: GND
    >>> Pin 5: TPBO+
    >>> Pin 6: TPBO-
    >>> Pin 7:+12V
    >>> Pin 8: +12v
    >>> Pin 10: GND
    >>>

    >>> the wires from the case are:
    >>>
    >>> (1)+D
    >>> (1)-D
    >>> (2)+D
    >>> (2)-D
    >>> (1) Ground
    >>> (1) Ground
    >>> (2) Ground
    >>> (1) +5V
    >>> (2) +5V
    >>>
    >>> I figure the 3 wires marked ground hook to the GND pins, but does it
    >>> matter which one?
    >>>
    >>> I'm also assuming the TPAO+ and TPAO- correspond to (1)D+/- and
    >>> TPBO+/- go to (2)D+/-.
    >>>
    >>> does this sound right so far?
    >>>
    >>> finally, the two power wires hook to the two power pins, but it's
    >>> asking for 5V and getting 12V.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to make it work?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I wrote to both Antec and A-Bit, and neither ever wrote back.
    >>>
    >>> thanks.
    >>>

    >>I think the mobo pins are firewire, while the casepins are 2 USB
    >>connectors. USB has 4 connections: +DATA, -DATA, GND and +5V.
    >>
    >>Firewire has 4 or 6 pins, +DATA1, -DATA1, +DATA2, -DATA2, and

    optionally
    >>it has two power pins, GND and +5...24V

    > It has 2 USBs on front, too. But the MB has 10 pins marked:
    >

    > 1 VCC
    > 2 VCC
    > 3 Data0-
    > 4 Data1-
    > 5 Data0+
    > 6 Data1+
    > 7 Ground
    > 8 Ground
    > 9 NC
    > 10 NC
    >
    > And there are only 6 wires, named:
    >
    > TPA+
    > TPA-
    > TPB+
    > TPB-
    > VG
    > VP

    I cannot see if it's applicable, but it seems to me you should connect
    firewire
    >>> Pin 1: TPAO+
    >>> Pin 2: TPAO-
    >>> Pin 3: GND
    >>> Pin 4: GND
    >>> Pin 5: TPBO+
    >>> Pin 6: TPBO-
    >>> Pin 7:+12V
    >>> Pin 8: +12v
    >>> Pin 10: GND

    > TPA+
    > TPA-
    > TPB+
    > TPB-
    > VG
    > VP

    where VG = GND and VP = +12V

    and 2 USB ports
    >>> (1)+D
    >>> (1)-D
    >>> (2)+D
    >>> (2)-D
    >>> (1) Ground
    >>> (1) Ground
    >>> (2) Ground
    >>> (1) +5V
    >>> (2) +5V

    > 1 VCC
    > 2 VCC
    > 3 Data0-
    > 4 Data1-
    > 5 Data0+
    > 6 Data1+
    > 7 Ground
    > 8 Ground
    > 9 NC
    > 10 NC

    where (1)+D and (1)-D are Data0- and Data0+

    Ingeborg, Jan 6, 2005

  5. >
    >I cannot see if it's applicable, but it seems to me you should connect
    >firewire

    >> TPA+
    >> TPA-
    >> TPB+
    >> TPB-
    >> VG
    >> VP

    >where VG = GND and VP = +12V

    This sort of makes sense. The only problem is that I have 2 pins
    marked power and only 1 wire, and 3 pins marked ground and only 1
    wire.

    PowerPost2000, Jan 6, 2005
  6. On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:14:05 -0500, PowerPost2000 <> wrote:

    >>I cannot see if it's applicable, but it seems to me you should connect
    >>firewire

    >>> TPA+
    >>> TPA-
    >>> TPB+
    >>> TPB-
    >>> VG
    >>> VP

    >>where VG = GND and VP = +12V
    >>

    > This sort of makes sense. The only problem is that I have 2 pins
    >marked power and only 1 wire, and 3 pins marked ground and only 1
    >wire.

    I have an Antec Sonata case and the front firewire is as you say. For
    reasons that beat me Antec individually terminate the individual leads
    and it is a bit of a 'fiddle' to connect them to the on board
    connector. You are right there are more on board pins than leads. I
    just connected all the leads to the respective pins, and firewire
    worked without problems from the front. Why there are more power and
    earth pins than leads I have no idea, just leave them without
    connections. Worked for me!

    Edward W. Thompson, Jan 7, 2005