Front Page stole my files!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Nigel Stapley, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. I've tried this on the MozillaZine forum, but got no takers, so...

    I have Front Page installed on my PC (W98SE), but use Composer (Moz
    1.7.3) for editing web pages.

    Every time I boot up the PC, I find that FP has grabbed back the file
    association for .htm & .html, so that when I right-click on an .htm file
    and click 'Edit', it opens in FP. I then have to go back and change the
    file assocations back again.

    Short of uninstalling FP (which I'd prefer not to do, for various
    reasons), is there any way of stopping this from happening all the time?

    (PS, in FP itself, I've set Moz as my default editor for .htm/.html files)

    TIA
    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>
    Nigel Stapley, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Nigel Stapley

    Moz Champion Guest

    Nigel Stapley wrote:

    > I've tried this on the MozillaZine forum, but got no takers, so...
    >
    > I have Front Page installed on my PC (W98SE), but use Composer (Moz
    > 1.7.3) for editing web pages.
    >
    > Every time I boot up the PC, I find that FP has grabbed back the file
    > association for .htm & .html, so that when I right-click on an .htm file
    > and click 'Edit', it opens in FP. I then have to go back and change the
    > file assocations back again.
    >
    > Short of uninstalling FP (which I'd prefer not to do, for various
    > reasons), is there any way of stopping this from happening all the time?
    >
    > (PS, in FP itself, I've set Moz as my default editor for .htm/.html files)
    >
    > TIA

    Another fine example of how MS attempts to control users <g>
    Sorry, dont know how to prevent it from taking over, I avoid use of MS
    products if at all possible.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Moz Champion wrote:
    > Nigel Stapley wrote:
    >
    >> I've tried this on the MozillaZine forum, but got no takers, so...
    >>
    >> I have Front Page installed on my PC (W98SE), but use Composer (Moz
    >> 1.7.3) for editing web pages.
    >>
    >> Every time I boot up the PC, I find that FP has grabbed back the file
    >> association for .htm & .html, so that when I right-click on an .htm
    >> file and click 'Edit', it opens in FP. I then have to go back and
    >> change the file assocations back again.
    >>
    >> Short of uninstalling FP (which I'd prefer not to do, for various
    >> reasons), is there any way of stopping this from happening all the time?
    >>
    >> (PS, in FP itself, I've set Moz as my default editor for .htm/.html
    >> files)
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Another fine example of how MS attempts to control users <g>
    > Sorry, dont know how to prevent it from taking over, I avoid use of MS
    > products if at all possible.

    Just in case it helps a fellow sufferer, I've figured it out now.

    I changed the following registry key...

    [Disclaimer! Changing the registry can really screw your system! Always
    make a backup copy before tinkering, however clever you think you are].

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\command

    so that Mozilla.exe is the program, and -edit -nosplash "%1" is the
    command line.

    So far, so good.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>
    Nigel Stapley, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Nigel Stapley wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Nigel Stapley wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've tried this on the MozillaZine forum, but got no takers, so...
    >>>
    >>> I have Front Page installed on my PC (W98SE), but use Composer (Moz
    >>> 1.7.3) for editing web pages.
    >>>
    >>> Every time I boot up the PC, I find that FP has grabbed back the file
    >>> association for .htm & .html, so that when I right-click on an .htm
    >>> file and click 'Edit', it opens in FP. I then have to go back and
    >>> change the file assocations back again.
    >>>
    >>> Short of uninstalling FP (which I'd prefer not to do, for various
    >>> reasons), is there any way of stopping this from happening all the time?
    >>>
    >>> (PS, in FP itself, I've set Moz as my default editor for .htm/.html
    >>> files)
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Another fine example of how MS attempts to control users <g>
    >> Sorry, dont know how to prevent it from taking over, I avoid use of MS
    >> products if at all possible.
    >>

    > Just in case it helps a fellow sufferer, I've figured it out now.

    <sigh> No I haven't - bastard thing reverted on me again. Looks like
    I'll have to uninstall FP after all... :-(

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com