From XP pro to XP pro 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. Hi NG!
    Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
    I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
    reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
    This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
    function well.
    There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?

    Sorry for my little english... ;-)

    Bye!
    =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=, Jan 22, 2006

  2. MAD wrote:
    > I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
    > reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
    > This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
    > function well.

    I am not sure why Windows XP does not function well for video editing.
    Is it slow? And if yes, are you sure that Windows is the problem?

    > There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?

    Maybe with Vista, although it is more likely that you need Windows XP
    x64 to upgrade to Vista x64. You can also try the trial version of
    Windows x64, it works for 4 month.

    But is it worth it? If you have more than 4 GB of memory (or a 64bit
    application), then yes. In this case money should not be the issue, so
    just go ahead and buy Windows x64 :)

    Otherwise there is very no reason to go for x64.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jan 22, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The only solution is to buy an OEM license for the 64-bit os. Let us know
    the country and someone should be able to direct you to an appropriate
    dealer.

    John Barnes, Jan 22, 2006
  4. There is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit, unfortunately. You'll need
    to buy an x64 license and do a clean install. You can do this in a dual boot
    configuration (see my blog from November on dual booting), or as a complete
    replacement for 32-bit.

    Before moving entirely to 64-bit, please be certain that your software and
    especially your hardware fully supports 64-bit. Drivers are a significant
    problem still, though it is improving.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 22, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    MAD:

    Video editing is slow on any operating system. Comparing overall
    time with x86 and x64 the x64 system is about 30% faster than x86. The test
    clip that I used was on a dual boot machine with the same programs
    installed, x86 took 71 minutes and x64 took 51 minutes.

    Dennis Pack, Jan 22, 2006
  6. That's non-trivial. I'm interested - was this using a 32-bit version of the
    software package in both cases?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 22, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:

    I did the test in my FX51 (now retired) dual boot using Power
    Director 4. I captured a clip from a VCR tape then encoded it for copying it
    to a DVD. I'm currently using a 4400x2 processor and haven't done a
    comparison on this machine.

    Dennis Pack, Jan 22, 2006
  8. And Power Director 4 is 32-bit only. Very interesting. I'd be interested to
    see if that differential is still present on a dual core machine, if and
    when you have a chance. (and if you still have a dual boot.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 22, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:

    Power Director 4 is a 32 bit program. I performed a 10 minute
    VCR capture using Movie Maker that came with each operating system. The
    capture time and file sizes are the same, 10 minutes 35.97mb, Overall time
    including capture was: x86 15 minutes, x64 12 minutes, encoding clip and
    saving it to the hard drive. This is using the 4400x2 machine. Currently I
    don't have Power Director 4 installed in the x86 partition. Due to my new
    work schedule (4x10 shifts) I won't have time to do a full test until next
    weekend.

    Dennis Pack, Jan 22, 2006
  10. Thomas, John and Charlie...
    Many, many, many and many thanks guy! ;-D
    You are very helpful for me!
    Thanks a lot.

    Bye!
    =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=, Jan 22, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 07:51:02 -0800, MAD <>
    wrote:

    Hi MAD

    >Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
    >I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
    >reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
    >This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
    >function well.

    You are not telling what kind of video-editing you want to do. If you think
    about using software with hardware-cards, forget about it. There are
    currently no cards with 64-bit drivers. So you will have left software only
    solutions. I have experimented with Canopus Edius, which runs on x64 (it
    captures via generic firewire). Avid XpressPro won't install, because it
    uses a 32-bit dongle (no update for that). I am about to try Adobe
    Premiere, but am waiting for the new 2.0 version to arrive at my reseller,
    to test. I guess Premiere will be able to capture as well via generic
    firewire.
    There are a lot of programs with which you can process video, but the only
    one available in 64-bit is the freeware VirtualDub. Many of these are
    32-bit, but run on x64, usually slightly faster (a few percent).

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jan 23, 2006
  12. Jud-
    I run a Dvico Fusion Dual Digital card on X64 with X64 software (beta).

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Jan 23, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:50:02 -0800, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    >I run a Dvico Fusion Dual Digital card on X64 with X64 software (beta).

    Hi Nick

    I actually meant cards which are used for video-editing to make the
    programs and not those to receive tv and re-edit (or similar). For instance
    Canopus Edius NX, Matrox RTX, Blackmagic Decklink.
    Thanks for the mentioning it anyway. I am looking into buying something
    similar, and the Dvico having 64-bit drivers, makes it interesting :)

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jan 23, 2006