From WinME to XP...good move????eh?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by fredcromer, May 4, 2004.

  1. fredcromer

    fredcromer Guest

    I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz CPU....would
    it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    ---

    fredcromer, May 4, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    You would have to upgrade your memory to about 256MB minimum for it to run
    XP acceptably. Then there is the chance that your old board and other
    hardware won't work well with XP. Also 333Mhz is awfully slow for running
    such a big OS as XP. Would advise that if you want the stability of an
    NT-based os, then try Windows 2000 instead. It would probably run
    considerably better on such an old machine. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

    Thor, May 4, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    derek / nul Guest

    Not a good idea, the system will not run XP very well.
    Stick to ME

    derek / nul, May 5, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    S.Heenan Guest

    fredcromer wrote:
    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz
    > CPU....would it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i
    > upgraded from W98 a month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't
    > do that WinME will?? THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    The hard drive size is marginal for Windows XP. You will need a minimum of
    256MB of RAM. CPU is fine. If you can upgrade the RAM and justify the cost
    of Win XP, go ahead. Windows 2000 Pro will provide the same stability while
    being easier on system resources.

    S.Heenan, May 5, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    Chessnut Guest

    I agree with everyone else, and had a bad personal experience with this. I
    didn't realize how much resources XP would take up after upgrading my old
    system.

    Chessnut, May 5, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Jerry G. Guest

    Your machine is too old to run XP properly. You will need to upgrade the RAM
    to at least 256 mb or 128 mb at the very minimum to start with. As for the
    speed, you may find the machine to operate a bit slow under XP, because of
    the processor and buss speed capability. The hard drive is also going to not
    have as much space. The operating system alone will fill much more of the
    hard drive than the older operating systems.

    The best all around operating system for a machine of the age of your
    machine would be Win 98. It is in fact better than ME for stability, and
    dependability.

    Or, if you want something that is extremely stable, you can go to an older
    version of Linux that is of the level for your machine type. With Linux, you
    will have to start over again with most of your software. You will also have
    to learn the commands for it.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG