From VHS to DV tape?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jacob, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Jacob

    Jacob Guest

    I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV tape?

    Jacob, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Jacob wrote:
    > I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    > tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV tape?

    That would depend on your camcorder. My Sony TRV-17 can record from any
    external source. Check your owners manual.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Jacob

    Abrasha Guest

    Jacob wrote:

    > I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    > tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV tape?

    Yes. I'm doing it right now with about 100 hours of video on High 8.
    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Jacob wrote:

    > I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    > tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV tape?

    You can record from any media source to another. You can record cassette to
    CDs, CDs to cassette.

    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Jacob

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/4/03 3:52 PM, in article , "Jon
    Wordsworth" <> wrote:

    > Jacob wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    >> tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV tape?

    > You can record from any media source to another. You can record cassette to
    > CDs, CDs to cassette.

    I think his concern might have something to do with the inputs on the
    various machines. To clarify for Jacob what Jon was saying is true. However
    you (Jacob) will have to use what ever interconnects you have. The most
    basic are the standard RCA to RCA. Next up the quality scale is the "S-VHS"
    video port for the transfer of the image. The audio will still be limited to
    the analog RCA interconnects. Most of today's quality VHS units have both
    these choices. However, I think Jacob was referring to the "FireWire"
    IEEE1396 interface that DV tape units use to port both audio and video in
    and out digitally (lossless). Here, one cannot take advantage because the
    VHS deck does not have such interfaces. None that I know of anyway. Hope
    that helps...

    George Kerby, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Jacob

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Jacob" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    > tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV

    tape?

    Most camcorders by Sony can digitize analog video, i.e. convert from VHS to
    DV, though in Europe this feature may be disabled.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Jacob

    Jacob Guest

    Thanks all

    "Jacob" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Sony PC8 DV and I know I can record from the DV tape to a VHS
    > tape, but I can I also do it the other way around? From HVS tape to DV

    tape?

    Thanks all! Got it to work. If anyone else has the same problem let me know
    and I'll share how.

    I've found that all my tapes can copy except an old one where I get "Copy
    Inhibit" on the LCD display. It seems it has some sort of protection.

    Jacob, Aug 4, 2003