From VCR to DVD: Update Your Oldies

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ablang, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    From VCR to DVD: Update Your Oldies
    08.01.07

    By Neil Randall

    With the VCR approaching extinction, this is a very good time-maybe
    even an essential one-to convert your old VHS tapes to DVD. Your kid's
    first steps, for instance, or that shown-only-once holiday movie you
    taped off a local channel.

    The easiest way to make the conversion is to purchase a standalone DVD/
    VCR combo recorder that lets you dub from one medium to the other.
    Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic (among others) offer such models, with
    easy interfaces for performing the conversion. But do you really want
    to buy a piece of dying technology?

    Another way is to connect your VCR to a standalone DVD recorder and
    follow the manufacturer's instructions for both units. But you may
    already have a DVD recorder-your PC. And, in fact, your PC offers
    something the standalone hardware does not: the ability to edit the
    video. You might want to do this not only for videos you made yourself-
    to cut out the extraneous material-but also to combine two copies of a
    favorite movie (if a different portion of each one has deteriorated,
    for example).

    The entire process takes 5 to 6 hours, but in the end you'll have a
    DVD version of your movie and, even better, a copy of the video stored
    on your drive. And unlike tapes, these copies won't degrade with
    multiple plays. - Equipment and Connections

    1 Equipment
    The goal is to transfer the video from the videotape to the hard
    drive, edit it, and then burn it onto a DVD. So first you need a tape
    player. Either a VCR or a camcorder that plays your tapes will do, but
    here we'll assume the former. You also need a video card with video
    capture capabilities, which several manufacturers offer (the ATI All-
    in-Wonder X1900 ships with the device shown at left, which lets you
    connect your VCR to the card itself), or a separate video capture card
    or device, available from companies such as ADS Tech (its Video Xpress
    is pictured above), Hauppauge, or Pinnacle. You'll also need
    appropriate patch cables for the capture, software to import the video
    and edit it, and software to burn it to DVD. And, of course, you need
    a DVD-recordable drive and blank DVD discs.
    ADS Video Express.

    On the software side, your capture card or device will almost
    certainly include a feature for capturing video, and third-party apps
    are also widely available. Regardless, Microsoft Windows XP and Vista
    both come with Windows Movie Maker (WMM), a decent-enough utility for
    this purpose, especially when you're dealing with amateur video from
    camcorders. WMM also lets you edit your video-experiment with it using
    video clips you already have on your PC, even before getting a capture
    device.

    Connect The Source

    2 Connect the Source
    First, install the video capture card or connect the capture device to
    your PC (via USB, FireWire, or standard RCA cables). Next, connect the
    VCR (with the tape inside it) to the capture hardware by running the
    appropriate cables between them, and then start the capture software.
    The next step depends on the actual software, but the basic procedure
    involves playing the tape in the VCR and pressing the Record or
    Capture button in the capture program's window. I'd recommend halting
    the process after a minute or so and checking to make sure you're
    satisfied with the volume. Happy? Then start over, and simply wait
    until all the video footage you want has been fully captured. - From
    Raw to Burn

    3 Now You Have Got Raw Video
    Load the video into the editing software and edit it as you wish,
    using the software's interface. (For a library of PC Magazine video-
    editing tips and tricks, see go.pcmag.com/videosolutions.) WMM
    provides a storyboard along the bottom of the screen from which you
    edit and preview your video. Add titles, effects, and transitions if
    you want to do so, and save often.
    Burn, Baby, Burn

    4 Burn, Baby, Burn
    When finished, launch your DVD creation software. (With many packages,
    the editing and creation software work together.) DVD creation
    software is readily available from third parties, but if you have
    Vista, Windows DVD Maker (which I use here) will do the trick. In
    fact, if you edit your video in WMM, DVD Maker launches automatically
    when you instruct WMM to publish a movie project to DVD. If you merely
    want a copy of a movie from your VCR, you won't need to add anything,
    although you can divide the movie into scenes for easier navigation (a
    process that takes considerable time). Of course, you can also add
    menu titles, graphics, and any other elements you want.

    Once you've finished, put a disc into your DVD drive and record. The
    DVD encoding process can be a lengthy one-several hours is not uncommon
    -so this is a very good time to get some work done or, better still,
    leave the computer and go watch a movie.
    Ablang, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Ablang <> wrote:

    > From VCR to DVD: Update Your Oldies

    Too Late! The death of the DVD has already been announced!!
    Walter Traprock, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Ablang

    Telstar Guest

    Where do they find the morons that write these technically incorrect
    articles?
    Telstar, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Ablang

    gerry Guest

    On Aug 10, 3:02 am, "Telstar" <> wrote:
    > Where do they find the morons that write these technically incorrect
    > articles?

    Notice that the writer never mentions HDD DVD recorders, the way to
    go. Why would anyone buy a VCR DVD recorder when the VCR is dead
    technology and the VCRs that come bundled with the DVD recorder are
    adequate for handling recent recordings but could have big problems
    with old VHS tapes?
    gerry, Aug 15, 2007