From the mind of a mentally-challenged P&Shooter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 13, 2009.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The M9 can be taken to dinner and you won't look like a dork? That is
    the rationale of the point & shooter, that a DSLR somehow makes people
    look odd and that (like pedophiles might do) people should only use
    cameras that are covert and small so no one knows what creepy things
    they are up to with them.

    The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    nothing more.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm
    RichA, Oct 13, 2009

  2. RichA

    Jeff R. Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    > if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    > nothing more.
    >
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    But but but...

    It's not plastic.
    It's metal.

    Doesn't that make up for everything else?

    --
    Jeff R.
    Jeff R., Oct 13, 2009

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:46:28 +1100, "Jeff R." <>
    wrote:

    >RichA wrote:
    >>
    >> The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    >> if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    >> nothing more.
    >>
    >> http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    >But but but...
    >
    >It's not plastic.
    >It's metal.
    >
    >Doesn't that make up for everything else?

    Is it liquid metal? Cause that would be like so cool!
    John A., Oct 13, 2009
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:10:48 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >The M9 can be taken to dinner and you won't look like a dork? That is
    >the rationale of the point & shooter, that a DSLR somehow makes people
    >look odd and that (like pedophiles might do) people should only use
    >cameras that are covert and small so no one knows what creepy things
    >they are up to with them.
    >
    >The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    >if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    >nothing more.
    >
    >http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    He's obviously very taken with the M9, and rightly so. It gives the
    best image quality of any 35mm-format digital camera.

    But Rockwell still prefers film:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm

    And he still looks pretty scary:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/katie/images/2009/2009-07/IMG_1589-dad.jpg
    Bruce, Oct 13, 2009
  5. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Jeff R. <> wrote:
    >RichA wrote:
    >>
    >> The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    >> if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    >> nothing more.
    >>
    >> http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    >But but but...
    >
    >It's not plastic.
    >It's metal.
    >
    >Doesn't that make up for everything else?

    I wonder if Ken and Rich have heard that the FTC is going to start
    requiring bloggers to disclose payments and benefits they get from the
    companies they "review".

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Oct 13, 2009
  6. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > The M9 can be taken to dinner and you won't look like a dork? That is
    > the rationale of the point & shooter, that a DSLR somehow makes people
    > look odd and that (like pedophiles might do) people should only use
    > cameras that are covert and small so no one knows what creepy things
    > they are up to with them.
    >
    > The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    > if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    > nothing more.
    >
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    Rich - me thinks the article was rather tongue-in-cheek, and you missed
    that!

    BTW: this should be in: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder, not spread out over
    the other groups. Follow-ups set.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 13, 2009
  7. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > Leica M9 Review: Shooting in Wetzlar, Germany
    > David Farkas Photography Blog
    > <http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/2009/09/leica-m9-review-shooting-in-wetzlar.html>
    >
    > Conclusion
    >
    > I fully expect the M9 to be a home run for Leica. Just about every user
    > request made since the M8 came to market has been addressed and
    > implemented. Full frame? Check. No IR filters? Check.

    he's confused. it *does* have an ir filter, and he even mentions it!
    however, leica claims there still can be magenta tinted blacks, so
    apparently their new ir filter is not strong enough. m10 maybe?

    > Leica M9
    > The World's Smallest, Lightest Full Frame Digital Camera
    > <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/m9-first.shtml>
    >
    > Simply put, the Leica M9 is the smallest and lightest full-frame 35mm
    > camera available.

    it's also one of the most expensive full frame cameras, exceeded only
    by the $8000 nikon d3x (the canon 1ds iii has dropped in price).

    > Combine Leica's unquestionably world-class lenses with
    > a next-generation Kodak CCD sensor featuring large pixels and no AA
    > filter, and you end up with a camera capable of producing exceptional
    > image quality along with shooting style discretion and mobility.

    without an anti-alias filter, what you end up with is a camera that
    produces aliasing artifacts. unfortunately, there's no way to eliminate
    aliasing after the fact, however, they do manage to squelch the colour
    fringing fairly well.
    nospam, Oct 13, 2009
  8. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > He's obviously very taken with the M9, and rightly so. It gives the
    > best image quality of any 35mm-format digital camera.

    the best? where's the d3x versus m9 comparison?

    > But Rockwell still prefers film:
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm

    more of his usual babble. two that stuck out:

    There is never any need for sharpening, or sharpening adjustments, as
    there are with digital.

    except that unsharp mask is actually an old film technique, not to
    mention using high acutance developers, such as rodinal.

    Film has a fixed WB, usually Daylight. It's never, ever fooled by the
    color of the subject.

    exactly the same with digital cameras, just set it to 'daylight' or
    'tungsten.' and with digital, if you screw up, you can fix it later,
    which you *can't* do with film.
    nospam, Oct 13, 2009
  9. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <4ad4406e$0$1582$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > I wonder if Ken and Rich have heard that the FTC is going to start
    > requiring bloggers to disclose payments and benefits they get from the
    > companies they "review".

    unfortunately, it's not going to be easily enforced.
    nospam, Oct 13, 2009
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On 13 Oct 2009 08:55:10 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >I wonder if Ken and Rich have heard that the FTC is going to start
    >requiring bloggers to disclose payments and benefits they get from the
    >companies they "review".

    Ken Rockwell paid for his Leica M9 with his own money.

    Funds must have been a little tight, as the photos on his site suggest
    that he could only afford to fit it with a 1960s 50mm f/1.4 Summilux.
    Bruce, Oct 13, 2009
  11. RichA

    Nicko Guest

    On Oct 12, 6:10 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > The M9 can be taken to dinner and you won't look like a dork?  That is
    > the rationale of the point & shooter, that a DSLR somehow makes people
    > look odd and that (like pedophiles might do) people should only use
    > cameras that are covert and small so no one knows what creepy things
    > they are up to with them.
    >
    > The rest of the article is as mindless as can be.  Rockwell is a kook,
    > if he really believes what he says.  The M9 is a moire making machine,
    > nothing more.
    >
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    That is an out and out ad, not a review. I wouldn't have wasted more
    than minute on it if someone hadn't brought it up here.

    --
    YOP...
    Nicko, Oct 14, 2009
  12. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > Who to believe, Rich the troll, or Ken the pro?
    > Let me think. Let me think. Let me think.
    > Sorry, Rich.

    The real question is: will you ever learn to create a decent image
    before you assume room temperature?
    Mr. Strat, Oct 14, 2009
  13. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 12, 11:15 pm, John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:10:48 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >The M9 can be taken to dinner and you won't look like a dork?  That is
    > >the rationale of the point & shooter, that a DSLR somehow makes people
    > >look odd and that (like pedophiles might do) people should only use
    > >cameras that are covert and small so no one knows what creepy things
    > >they are up to with them.

    > >The rest of the article is as mindless as can be.  Rockwell is a kook,
    > >if he really believes what he says.  The M9 is a moire making machine,
    > >nothing more.

    > >http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    > Who to believe, Rich the troll, or Ken the pro?

    He's a professional clown.
    Rich, Oct 14, 2009
  14. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 13, 6:11 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On 13 Oct 2009 08:55:10 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >
    > >I wonder if Ken and Rich have heard that the FTC is going to start
    > >requiring bloggers to disclose payments and benefits they get from the
    > >companies they "review".

    > Ken Rockwell paid for his Leica M9 with his own money.
    >
    > Funds must have been a little tight, as the photos on his site suggest
    > that he could only afford to fit it with a 1960s 50mm f/1.4 Summilux.

    "I cried because I had no Leica, then I met a man who had no Kodak
    P&S."
    Rich, Oct 14, 2009
  15. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >On Oct 12, 11:15 pm, John Navas <> wrote:

    >> Who to believe, Rich the troll, or Ken the pro?

    >He's a professional clown.

    But you're only an amateur clown.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Oct 14, 2009
  16. RichA

    Miles Bader Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> writes:
    >> The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    >> if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    >> nothing more.
    >>
    >> http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

    > Rich - me thinks the article was rather tongue-in-cheek, and you missed
    > that!

    Hmm, tho from what I hear (from friends), Ken Rockwell _is_ a bit of a
    bit of a kook (and insanely full of himself), just generally.

    I read the above article, and it's certainly not obvious that it's
    tongue-in-cheek. It was kind of painful to read actually...

    It's certainly a pretty camera tho.

    -Miles

    --
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    --Albert Einstein
    Miles Bader, Oct 14, 2009
  17. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 13 Oct 2009 08:55:10 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    : Jeff R. <> wrote:
    : >RichA wrote:
    : >>
    : >> The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    : >> if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    : >> nothing more.
    : >>
    : >> http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm
    : >
    : >But but but...
    : >
    : >It's not plastic.
    : >It's metal.
    : >
    : >Doesn't that make up for everything else?
    :
    : I wonder if Ken and Rich have heard that the FTC is going to start
    : requiring bloggers to disclose payments and benefits they get from the
    : companies they "review".

    Surely you don't imagine that anyone actually pays Rich for his opinion?

    (I mean, of course, his opinion about cameras; I haven't the slightest idea
    what Rich does, or comments on, in real life.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 18, 2009
  18. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On 13 Oct 2009 08:55:10 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >: Jeff R. <> wrote:
    >: >RichA wrote:
    >: >>
    >: >> The rest of the article is as mindless as can be. Rockwell is a kook,
    >: >> if he really believes what he says. The M9 is a moire making machine,
    >: >> nothing more.
    >: >>
    >: >> http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm
    >: >
    >: >But but but...
    >: >
    >: >It's not plastic.
    >: >It's metal.
    >: >
    >: >Doesn't that make up for everything else?
    >:
    >: I wonder if Ken and Rich have heard that the FTC is going to start
    >: requiring bloggers to disclose payments and benefits they get from the
    >: companies they "review".
    >
    >Surely you don't imagine that anyone actually pays Rich for his opinion?

    No, of course not. Payment for his advertisement, however, is
    something different.

    >(I mean, of course, his opinion about cameras; I haven't the slightest idea
    >what Rich does, or comments on, in real life.)

    Something pointless, no doubt.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Oct 18, 2009