From The Earth To The Moon

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Meng, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Meng

    Meng Guest

    September re-release is widescreen.

    Original release was 4:3 which is correct according to IMDB.

    What gives?

    Meng, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Meng

    discogail Guest

    The film was released in 1958.........Aspect ratio --> 1.85 : 1

    discogail, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Meng

    Stan Jensen Guest

    They are talking about the HBO miniseries, not the film.

    Stan Jensen, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Meng

    TB Guest

    "Meng" <> wrote in message
    > September re-release is widescreen.
    >
    > Original release was 4:3 which is correct according to IMDB.
    >
    > What gives?

    The original release is 4:3 fullscreen. This set was among the first box
    sets released on dvd in the late 90's and The upcoming release will be
    anamorphic widescreen. I don't know if that means the picture will be matted
    for 16:9 thus losing some picture on the sides or if the original fullscreen
    version actually cut off image area on the sides as I don't recall what the
    aspect ratio was when it was broadcast on HBO in mid 90's.

    It's also getting a HD-DVD release around the same time.

    T.B.

    TB, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Meng

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <Vdkse.44434$>, TB
    <> wrote:

    > "Meng" <> wrote in message
    > > September re-release is widescreen.
    > >
    > > Original release was 4:3 which is correct according to IMDB.
    > >
    > > What gives?

    > The original release is 4:3 fullscreen. This set was among the first box
    > sets released on dvd in the late 90's and The upcoming release will be
    > anamorphic widescreen. I don't know if that means the picture will be matted
    > for 16:9 thus losing some picture on the sides or if the original fullscreen
    > version actually cut off image area on the sides as I don't recall what the
    > aspect ratio was when it was broadcast on HBO in mid 90's.

    It was broadcast on HBO in 4:3, according to the creators at the time
    because that's the ratio people at the time experienced the events on
    tv. It wouldn't surprise me if it was filmed 16:9 to protect it for
    HDTV. As there's nothing wrong with the original set and that's how the
    creators wanted it, I'm not replacing my copy.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jun 16, 2005