From IrfanView to Desktop wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Apr 9, 2013.

  1. Anyone have a fast way of assigning an image open in IrfanView as desktop
    background please?

    I'm sure that when right-clicking an image file in an Explorer folder the
    menu included something like 'Set as desktop background'. And this seems
    to confirm that:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...en-us/windows_use_pictures_as_background.mspx

    So I thought it would simply be a matter of using Shift+1 to open the
    IrfanView image in Explorer then use the above feature. But no trace of it
    in my right click menu now.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Apr 9, 2013

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Fred Guest

    Don't understand, if image is "open in IrfanView" then 'Options -> Set
    as wallpaper'. Voila.
    fred

    Fred, Apr 9, 2013

  3. David <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 09:03:50 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have a fast way of assigning an image open in IrfanView as desktop
    >>background please?
    >>
    >>I'm sure that when right-clicking an image file in an Explorer folder the
    >>menu included something like 'Set as desktop background'. And this seems
    >>to confirm that:
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...en-us/windows_use_pictures_as_background.mspx
    >>
    >>So I thought it would simply be a matter of using Shift+1 to open the
    >>IrfanView image in Explorer then use the above feature. But no trace of it
    >>in my right click menu now.

    >Why not use Irfanview itself: Options>Set as wallpaper: open list for
    >types and keyboard shortcuts.

    Thanks all. Duh - I obviously should have gone to Spec-Savers!

    And as for Windows XP, interesting discussion and presumably explains why
    I recall having that useful feature once.

    BTW, I learned elsewhere of another way of doing it in XP. I've always
    used 'classic' Explorer folders so in my case I must switch to Tools >
    Folder Options > General >'Show common tasks in folders'. With an image
    selected, an item then appears in Picture Tasks, 'Set as desktop
    background'.

    But Ctrl+Shift+S from IrfanView is clearly the way to go. It's only when
    actually viewing a photo that I sometimes want to make it my temporary
    wallpaper.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Apr 10, 2013
  4. Terry Pinnell

    jimbok Guest

    On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:05:35 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >>>I'm sure that when right-clicking an image file in an Explorer folder the
    >>>menu included something like 'Set as desktop background'.

    In XP, if you set the folder view to 'thumbnails' the right click
    context menu will display the 'Set as Desktop Background' option.

    --
    jimbok
    jimbok, Apr 10, 2013
  5. jimbok <> wrote:

    >In XP, if you set the folder view to 'thumbnails' the right click
    >context menu will display the 'Set as Desktop Background' option.

    Ah - thank you, so simple!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Apr 10, 2013
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Zo Guest

    jimbok formulated the question :

    > In XP, if you set the folder view to 'thumbnails' the right click
    > context menu will display the 'Set as Desktop Background' option.

    I never knew that item was on the context menu until this thread.
    Always use WallpaperMasterV2.16 to change the backgrounds from a master
    list periodically. It's good to learn how it is placed there though.
    Discovered that it also appears if you have View as Filmstrip selected
    as well.

    Thank for that info :)

    --
    Zo

    "We need either less corruption or more chance to participate
    in it."
    Zo, Apr 11, 2013