From hybrid to native IOS, on 6500s

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by papi, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. papi

    papi Guest

    Hi, everyone,

    As a newbie in Cisco, I was counting on some of you, having had past
    experience with migrating from a hybrid (IOS, CatOS) 6500 environment, to
    a "native" IOS. Reading through the available docs, one of the things
    which appears to me quite surprising is the fact that one has to re-create
    the configuration from scratch (i.e. "manually")?!? As the 6500s we plan
    to work on are at the core of our network, and running HSRP, my questions
    to you - experienced users, would be:

    1. Is is true that the configuration has to be recreated from scratch?
    Aren't there any tools to "migrate" something like this?

    2. Running two switches in HSRP mode - would such an upgrade have to
    consider some extra precautions, vs. a "single mode" switch?

    3. Any personal experience you may be willing to share? Any links with
    very specific issues? Thoughts?!?

    TIA,
    Papi

    papi, Jan 31, 2005

  2. "papi" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, everyone,
    >
    > As a newbie in Cisco, I was counting on some of you, having had past
    > experience with migrating from a hybrid (IOS, CatOS) 6500 environment, to
    > a "native" IOS. Reading through the available docs, one of the things
    > which appears to me quite surprising is the fact that one has to re-create
    > the configuration from scratch (i.e. "manually")?!? As the 6500s we plan
    > to work on are at the core of our network, and running HSRP, my questions
    > to you - experienced users, would be:
    >
    > 1. Is is true that the configuration has to be recreated from scratch?
    > Aren't there any tools to "migrate" something like this?
    >
    > 2. Running two switches in HSRP mode - would such an upgrade have to
    > consider some extra precautions, vs. a "single mode" switch?
    >
    > 3. Any personal experience you may be willing to share? Any links with
    > very specific issues? Thoughts?!?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Papi

    1. Yes

    2. No (at least this gives you some resilience dueing the upgrade)

    3. Advice: don't do this with a switch on a live, if you have the hardware
    available it is much better (read safer), to build & prove the new
    environment first and then swap out the chassis.

    BL
    --
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario
    Andretti

    Buzz Lightbeer, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Hello, papi!
    You wrote on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:47:42 -0600:

    p> 1. Is is true that the configuration has to be recreated from
    p> scratch? Aren't there any tools to "migrate" something like this?

    It depends. If you existing switches running in SRM, then MSFC portion can be
    migrated one to one. You will need to convert and add CatOS part though - all
    VTP, trunking, etherchannel, etc.

    p> 2. Running two switches in HSRP mode - would such an upgrade have
    p> to consider some extra precautions, vs. a "single mode" switch?

    You aren't going to do that on a fly, are you?

    p> 3. Any personal experience you may be willing to share? Any links
    p> with very specific issues? Thoughts?!?

    When I was doing migration from Sup 1A to Sup720 and from Hybrid to Native at
    the same time, getting spare chassis most important thing. I've created new
    configs on a spare and than copy-pasted them into production switches. 90% of
    the time was spent of replacing old blades with new ones and recabling
    everything.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Jan 31, 2005
  4. papi

    Bob Guest

    I'll third the opinion. Yes, read the config on the CatOS line by
    line and translate it to IOS.

    -Bob

    Bob, Jan 31, 2005
  5. papi

    papi Guest

    First - thank you all who answered! I will be using this post, to reply,
    but same issues have been raised by all of the respondents - comments
    inline:

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:31:23 -0800, Andrey Tarasov wrote:

    > Hello, papi!
    > You wrote on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:47:42 -0600:
    >
    > p> 1. Is is true that the configuration has to be recreated from
    > p> scratch? Aren't there any tools to "migrate" something like this?
    >
    > It depends. If you existing switches running in SRM, then MSFC portion can be
    > migrated one to one. You will need to convert and add CatOS part though - all
    > VTP, trunking, etherchannel, etc.

    I understand I would need to do this "manually", so I will probably "put
    up" with this part - what follows is much worse :(

    > p> 2. Running two switches in HSRP mode - would such an upgrade have
    > p> to consider some extra precautions, vs. a "single mode" switch?
    >
    > You aren't going to do that on a fly, are you?

    Here is the setup: two switches in HSRP mode, but each one with different
    sets of blades, having some systems connected to each (different systems).
    The blades are GiGE,as well as FastEth, and they do not duplicate each
    other. So - the unfortunate answer is: "yes - I was planning to do this on
    live systems" - of course by associating some downtime, but not being able
    to produce separate chassis on which to do the upgrades, then swap them
    (I am noe even sure how I would do that - unless I could pick a chassis
    with the same blades as one of my switches, upgrade and swap, hope that
    the two remaining would talk to each other, even if one in hybrid, one in
    native, then upgrade the removed one, with the set of blades similar to
    the second switch, then plug that one in ... does this make sense!??)

    > p> 3. Any personal experience you may be willing to share? Any links
    > p> with very specific issues? Thoughts?!?
    >
    > When I was doing migration from Sup 1A to Sup720 and from Hybrid to Native at
    > the same time, getting spare chassis most important thing. I've created new
    > configs on a spare and than copy-pasted them into production switches. 90% of
    > the time was spent of replacing old blades with new ones and recabling
    > everything.

    See above - I am not sure how I would handle the logistics of such an
    upgrade with two non-identical HSRP-mode switches ...

    > With best regards,
    > Andrey.

    Thanks again, to everyone ...

    papi, Jan 31, 2005
  6. "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I'll third the opinion. Yes, read the config on the CatOS line by
    > line and translate it to IOS.
    >
    > -Bob
    >

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:47:42 -0600, papi <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, everyone,
    >>
    >>As a newbie in Cisco, I was counting on some of you, having had past
    >>experience with migrating from a hybrid (IOS, CatOS) 6500 environment, to
    >>a "native" IOS. Reading through the available docs, one of the things
    >>which appears to me quite surprising is the fact that one has to re-create
    >>the configuration from scratch (i.e. "manually")?!? As the 6500s we plan
    >>to work on are at the core of our network, and running HSRP, my questions
    >>to you - experienced users, would be:
    >>
    >>1. Is is true that the configuration has to be recreated from scratch?
    >>Aren't there any tools to "migrate" something like this?
    >>
    >>2. Running two switches in HSRP mode - would such an upgrade have to
    >>consider some extra precautions, vs. a "single mode" switch?
    >>
    >>3. Any personal experience you may be willing to share? Any links with
    >>very specific issues? Thoughts?!?
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>Papi

    I believe you have to be a contract customer, but they do have a config
    conversion tool. You post the catOS config
    and it does the translation to IOS syntax. It works pretty well, we used it
    for all our conversions.

    Christopher Marva, Feb 2, 2005