From 1720 to 1841

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by random.nick@gmail.com, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I have a couple of questions regarding migrating from a Cisco 1720,
    which was configured to support VPN and firewall, using ADSL.

    Now we would like to move to an Ethernet 10/10 connection.The provider
    offers a Cisco 1841.

    My questions:
    a) Can I just export/import the config settings - as displayed, using
    show run - from the old router to the new?

    b) I want to keep the ADSL connection basically as a backup feed,
    optimally as a backup feed, which is also used, but only until the
    maximum allowed data transfer per month is not yet reached.

    Can I reach this goal with the 1720 and 1841 or it would require a
    different, single router, which is able to handle and bond together
    both connections, monitor them for fail over if the 10/10 link is down
    and keeping track how far can the ADSL link also be utilized as an
    extra resource?

    c) I also have a Cisco Pix available - does it have an advantage over
    the firewall function in the 1841?

    d) Is it possible to use maybe Snort for a real-time, dynamic update of
    the Cisco firewall rules, in case an attack is detected?

    Thank you for all the kind advice.

    Regards,
    Nick
    , Nov 9, 2006

  2. ajsingh007 Guest

    Hi Nick,

    I am sure you could download the config from a 1720 nd upload on
    1841.The only thing is the interfaces (if they are not same).

    Cannot commet on snort but PIX would certainly be a good candidate for
    firewalling than a Cisco router.

    -Aman

    ajsingh007, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thank you, Aman.

    ajsingh007 wrote:
    > Hi Nick,
    >
    > I am sure you could download the config from a 1720 nd upload on
    > 1841.The only thing is the interfaces (if they are not same).
    >
    > Cannot commet on snort but PIX would certainly be a good candidate for
    > firewalling than a Cisco router.
    >
    > -Aman
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a couple of questions regarding migrating from a Cisco 1720,
    > > which was configured to support VPN and firewall, using ADSL.
    > >
    > > Now we would like to move to an Ethernet 10/10 connection.The provider
    > > offers a Cisco 1841.
    > >
    > > My questions:
    > > a) Can I just export/import the config settings - as displayed, using
    > > show run - from the old router to the new?
    > >
    > > b) I want to keep the ADSL connection basically as a backup feed,
    > > optimally as a backup feed, which is also used, but only until the
    > > maximum allowed data transfer per month is not yet reached.
    > >
    > > Can I reach this goal with the 1720 and 1841 or it would require a
    > > different, single router, which is able to handle and bond together
    > > both connections, monitor them for fail over if the 10/10 link is down
    > > and keeping track how far can the ADSL link also be utilized as an
    > > extra resource?
    > >
    > > c) I also have a Cisco Pix available - does it have an advantage over
    > > the firewall function in the 1841?
    > >
    > > d) Is it possible to use maybe Snort for a real-time, dynamic update of
    > > the Cisco firewall rules, in case an attack is detected?
    > >
    > > Thank you for all the kind advice.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Nick
    , Nov 10, 2006