Fritzbox7140 : Unreliable router to computer connection

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
    the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
    Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
    there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
    the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.
    Originally I did have the computer set to work with DHCP but then I
    set up a specific IP for the computer. It seemed to be marginally more
    reliable but it has steadily got worse.
    Any suggestions to solve this problem?
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---
    Brian A, Oct 12, 2007

  2. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
    > the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
    > Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
    > there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
    > the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.
    > Originally I did have the computer set to work with DHCP but then I
    > set up a specific IP for the computer. It seemed to be marginally more
    > reliable but it has steadily got worse.
    > Any suggestions to solve this problem?
    > ---
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >
    > Sign the petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
    > Get your friends to sign too!
    > Ofcom want to auction off the spectrum needed for Hi Def.
    > TV.
    > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/High-Definition/

    Wired or wireless?

    I have a wired connection to a 7050 which is very dependable. I didn't find
    wireless to be so good but then there are many factors which influence that
    (including the computer being near a big radiator!)
    Herman, Oct 12, 2007

  3. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
    > the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
    > Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
    > there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
    > the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.

    Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network cable
    between the router and PC?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:29:16 up 12 days, 17 min, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.14
    alexd, Oct 12, 2007
  4. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
    >> the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
    >> Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
    >> there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
    >> the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.

    > Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network cable
    > between the router and PC?
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 22:29:16 up 12 days, 17 min, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.14
    > 09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

    I wondered the same on the first read. I took the word "supply" to mean
    what you would think it to mean.

    I'm sure Brian A will confirm in a bit though...
    Herman, Oct 13, 2007
  5. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:33:14 GMT, "Herman"
    <whitehouse.madhouse.thisisaspamtraptakemeout!@bigfoot.com> wrote:

    >"alexd" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian A wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
    >>> the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
    >>> Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
    >>> there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
    >>> the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.

    >> Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network cable
    >> between the router and PC?
    >>
    >> --
    >> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    >> 22:29:16 up 12 days, 17 min, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.14
    >> 09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

    >I wondered the same on the first read. I took the word "supply" to mean
    >what you would think it to mean.
    >
    >I'm sure Brian A will confirm in a bit though...

    I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
    Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
    The Voip doesn't fail.

    ---

    Brian A, Oct 13, 2007
  6. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    >>"alexd" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network
    >>> cable between the router and PC?

    > I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
    > Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
    > The Voip doesn't fail.

    Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable? Does
    you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
    say "Limited or no connectivity"?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:34:19 up 12 days, 17:22, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.09
    alexd, Oct 13, 2007
  7. Brian A

    TheFug Guest

    alexd schreef:
    > Brian A wrote:
    >
    >>> "alexd" <> wrote in message

    >> I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
    >> Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
    >> The Voip doesn't fail.

    > Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable? Does
    > you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
    > say "Limited or no connectivity"?

    @OP: my guess is check if you find any settings, which you can set to:
    always connected, some modem/routers can be set for a time period,
    because you have had? also ADSL providers who charge by a time period or
    data amount, also check, if there are any firm, or software updates
    available, check your version first, also there are some quircks when
    you use.....Vista ! check your connection management, for options...

    --
    The Fug.
    TheFug, Oct 13, 2007
  8. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:17:01 +0200, TheFug <> wrote:

    >alexd schreef:

    >>> I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
    >>> Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
    >>> The Voip doesn't fail.

    >> Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable? Does
    >> you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
    >> say "Limited or no connectivity"?
    >>

    >@OP: my guess is check if you find any settings, which you can set to:
    >always connected, some modem/routers can be set for a time period,
    >because you have had? also ADSL providers who charge by a time period or
    >data amount, also check, if there are any firm, or software updates
    >available, check your version first, also there are some quircks when
    >you use.....Vista ! check your connection management, for options...

    I forgot to say that I am not using the modem part of the Fritzbox as
    I use a cable modem plugged into the first LAN socket.
    My computer is dual boot. Today it booted in Ubuntu Linux and it
    showed no connection. I clicked on restart and, then, immediately,
    diconnected/reconnected the power to the Fritzbox. When Windows came
    up the connection was OK.
    This fault has to be something connected with the Fritzbox. My old
    router worked with no problems. Now both Linux and Windows show
    connection problems - Windows reports "A network cable is unplugged".

    Also the Fritzbox doesn't work nearly as well as my Sipura SPA-3000 on
    Voip. I have to wait for a couple of rings before I answer calls
    because, otherwise, the call is cut off. The message waiting indicator
    doesn't work either on providers where it worked perfectly on the
    Sipura box.

    All in all, so far, not a very good experience. I bought the Fritzbox
    because I wanted another, independent, voip line and thought an
    updated router would be wise in case I ever wanted to use ADSL2,
    but, as of now, I think that I have made a poor choice even though,
    for most, it seems to have proved to be a good performer.

    ---

    Brian A, Oct 15, 2007
  9. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:17:01 +0200, TheFug <> wrote:
    >
    >>alexd schreef:

    >>> Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable?
    >>> Does
    >>> you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
    >>> say "Limited or no connectivity"?
    >>>

    >>@OP: my guess is check if you find any settings, which you can set to:
    >>always connected, some modem/routers can be set for a time period,
    >>because you have had? also ADSL providers who charge by a time period or
    >>data amount, also check, if there are any firm, or software updates
    >>available, check your version first, also there are some quircks when
    >>you use.....Vista ! check your connection management, for options...

    > I forgot to say that I am not using the modem part of the Fritzbox as
    > I use a cable modem plugged into the first LAN socket.
    > My computer is dual boot. Today it booted in Ubuntu Linux and it
    > showed no connection. I clicked on restart and, then, immediately,
    > diconnected/reconnected the power to the Fritzbox. When Windows came
    > up the connection was OK.
    > This fault has to be something connected with the Fritzbox. My old
    > router worked with no problems. Now both Linux and Windows show
    > connection problems - Windows reports "A network cable is unplugged".
    >
    > Also the Fritzbox doesn't work nearly as well as my Sipura SPA-3000 on
    > Voip. I have to wait for a couple of rings before I answer calls
    > because, otherwise, the call is cut off. The message waiting indicator
    > doesn't work either on providers where it worked perfectly on the
    > Sipura box.
    >
    > All in all, so far, not a very good experience. I bought the Fritzbox
    > because I wanted another, independent, voip line and thought an
    > updated router would be wise in case I ever wanted to use ADSL2,
    > but, as of now, I think that I have made a poor choice even though,
    > for most, it seems to have proved to be a good performer.
    >

    > ---
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >
    > Sign the petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
    > Get your friends to sign too!
    > Ofcom want to auction off the spectrum needed for Hi Def.
    > TV.
    > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/High-Definition/

    Sounds like a fault then. My Fritz 7050 has performed very well over the
    past 1.5 to 2 years, although 3 way calling and call transfer stopped
    working a while ago, which I put down to a firmware upgrade.

    Is your Fritz 2nd hand? If not, I would make good use of their warranty,
    and or tech support.
    Herman, Oct 15, 2007