Fritzbox questions: Callthrough etc.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    I am considering purchasing a Fritzbox Fon 7140.
    As I will, initially at least, be using a cable modem, this wil mean I
    lose an ethernet socket. Hence the preference over the 7050.

    I have checked out the manuals for the
    Fritzbox Fon,
    Fritzbox Fon 7050,
    Fritzbox Fon 7140.
    In the 100+ pages of each of the pdf manuals
    I can see no mention of Speed dials or callthrough, even though they
    are listed in the specs.
    I feel sure that speed dials will be easy to set up but what about
    calthrough? I have seen various postings referring to this but nowhere
    have I seen the methodology behind it. Can anyone point to a place
    where there is callthrough set up information

    Further, I can see no detailed information, re dialling rules, though
    I assume that this is easy to do so, possibly, does not require any
    detailed documentation.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Feb 24, 2007

  2. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >I am considering purchasing a Fritzbox Fon 7140.
    > As I will, initially at least, be using a cable modem, this wil mean I
    > lose an ethernet socket. Hence the preference over the 7050.
    >
    > I have checked out the manuals for the
    > Fritzbox Fon,
    > Fritzbox Fon 7050,
    > Fritzbox Fon 7140.
    > In the 100+ pages of each of the pdf manuals
    > I can see no mention of Speed dials or callthrough, even though they
    > are listed in the specs.
    > I feel sure that speed dials will be easy to set up but what about
    > calthrough? I have seen various postings referring to this but nowhere
    > have I seen the methodology behind it. Can anyone point to a place
    > where there is callthrough set up information
    >
    > Further, I can see no detailed information, re dialling rules, though
    > I assume that this is easy to do so, possibly, does not require any
    > detailed documentation.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    You're right. Can't see anything in the on-line manuals. However see below
    from the help file on my FritzBox.

    I have not used speed dials so can't comment on this. However for
    callthrough, I have some good and some bad news. Yes it is pretty
    intuitive, although there I have two issues with it:
    1. you need to make sure that none of the telephone extensions are set to
    react to calls on your callthrough SIP account.
    2. (This is the biggy) I can't get it to work with the latest firmware on my
    7050. The DTMF sensitivity does not appear to be set right in the FritzBox
    configuration, as digits are dropped from the dial string. I have tried
    from different mobiles/landlines but not got it to work successfully. AVM
    now want me to send the box back to check there is no fault, but I am sure I
    have had it working with previous firmware. I think DTMF must be set
    slightly differently in Germany.

    For info my firmware is 14.04.26, and I would be very happy to know if
    others do or don't have problems with this as well.

    Here is the bit from the manual (sorry for the length...)

    With the "Call through enabled" setting you can select between the functions
    "Specified call through" and "PBX linking".
    Activate the setting "Call through enabled" and select the function you
    would like to use. Then make the settings for the selected function.

    Note: This setting is available only when the expert setting has been
    enabled in the "System / Expert Mode" dialog.

    Note: The dialing rules defined in the "Dialing Rules" area available over
    the menu commands "Telephony / Dialing Rules" in FRITZ!Box are valid for
    both functions.

    Click on one of the following list entries to view the Help text of the
    function:

    Specified call through
    PBX linking
    Specified call through
    The "Specified call through" function makes it possible to connect incoming
    calls to one number to a different number. You can also use this feature to
    connect fixed-line calls to other numbers via the Internet.

    The following settings options are available for the "Specified call
    through" feature:

    Call through enabled for all calls for the number
    In this field select the number for which call through is to be enabled. All
    Internet and ISDN numbers you entered in the "Telephony / Internet
    Telephony" and "Telephony / Extensions" menus are available for selection.

    Call through is only possible for calls that arrive at the number selected
    here.

    Authorization for Call Through
    The call through function can only be used by callers to whom you have
    granted authorization.
    A caller is authorized when his or her caller ID is approved for the call
    through function and when he or she enters the correct PIN.

    PIN
    A caller must enter the PIN to use the call through function. The preset PIN
    upon delivery is "0000". It is advisable to change this preset value. The
    PIN must be exactly four characters long.

    You must send this PIN to all callers you would like to authorize for the
    call through function.

    by the number of the calling party (Caller ID)
    Enable this setting to allow the call through setting only for calls from
    certain lines.

    If this setting is not enabled, all incoming calls will be allowed to use
    the call through function.

    In the "Caller ID" field, enter the numbers of the lines which are to be
    allowed to use the call through function. You can enter a maximum of eight
    telephone numbers, separated by semicolons.

    Note: Calls from the lines entered in the "Caller ID" field are only
    permitted to use the call through function when their numbers are
    transmitted.

    Diverting caller to the number
    Select here the number to be used to connect the calls to a different
    destination. For instance, select an Internet number to divert the calls for
    Internet telephony.

    Apply the settings by clicking the "Apply" button.

    Instructions for Using the Call Through Function
    Call the number entered in the field "Call through enabled for all calls for
    the number" using a telephone that is not connected to FRITZ!Box.
    If the line number of the call in FRITZ!Box is authorized for the call
    through feature, you will hear an audio signal.
    Enter the PIN in the "PIN" field.
    Wait for the acknowledgement tone.
    Now you have two options: A. You want to call a telephone at one of the
    FRITZ!Box extensions. Dial the internal number of the desired extension
    (number "1" or "2"). The telephone rings at the desired extension. No
    further entries are necessary.
    B. You want to be connected to another destination via the Internet. Dial a
    "0", because "Automatic outside dialing" is disabled for the call through
    feature. Continue with the other instructions.

    Once you hear a dial tone, you can enter the destination number, complete
    with area code.
    The call is connected to another destination via the number specified in the
    "Diverting caller to the number" field.
    Herman, Feb 24, 2007

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    Thanks very much for all the information Herman.
    I have experienced the DTMF problem, you mentioned, even on landline
    based services. I think that, possibly, the frequency tolerances may
    be too tight sometimes - though that theory could be wrong.
    In the early days of LCR carriers I used a hand dialler where I had
    numbers stored. It would play a DTMF string of tones when the required
    number was selected. It worked OK on some systems but not on others.
    Callthrough is likely to become an important feature for me - I wish
    it did callback too :). I will post any findings I have when I
    eventually get to experiment with the box.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Feb 25, 2007
  4. Brian A

    eliotw

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I am having the same DTMF problems you describe with the same firmware on a 7050 box.

    I am going VOIP into the Fritz and then trying to call through to another VOIP connection. I'm wondering if the first VOIP connection is properly passing the DTMF tones or if this is really a firmware issue.

    Sounds like it must be firmware if you have the same issue.

    Please let me know if you discover any work around.

    Thanks,
    Eliot
    eliotw, Mar 6, 2007