Fritzbox: Message Waiting Indicator (MWI)? , Call forwarding to SIP ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Aug 5, 2007.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    1. Message Wating

    I have checked the option,
    "Message waiting indication on the telephone (MWI)"
    under extension properties and selected
    "send information : for every new message"
    and selected
    "for : new voice message"

    I get no indication, or notification, of any kind, on the phone that a
    message is waiting. The 'Internet' light on the Fritzbox is off but I
    am getting a Net connection and the phone is working.
    When using a Sipura box with the same provider it worked perfectly.

    Any ideas on how to get MWI working.

    2. I have tried call forwarding to SIP numbers, such as voxalot and
    voiptalk, and it doesn't work. If I forward to PSTN numbers via
    voip.co.uk, for example, it does work - any ideas on this?

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---
    Brian A, Aug 5, 2007

  2. Brian A

    Graham. Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > 1. Message Wating
    >
    > I have checked the option,
    > "Message waiting indication on the telephone (MWI)"
    > under extension properties and selected
    > "send information : for every new message"
    > and selected
    > "for : new voice message"
    >
    > I get no indication, or notification, of any kind, on the phone that a
    > message is waiting. The 'Internet' light on the Fritzbox is off but I
    > am getting a Net connection and the phone is working.
    > When using a Sipura box with the same provider it worked perfectly.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get MWI working.
    >
    > 2. I have tried call forwarding to SIP numbers, such as voxalot and
    > voiptalk, and it doesn't work. If I forward to PSTN numbers via
    > voip.co.uk, for example, it does work - any ideas on this?

    Am I right in thinking that the usual way to pass MWI to a POT
    is to stutter the dialtone, just like BT does?

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 5, 2007

  3. Brian A

    John Miller Guest

    A related question... I use the SIP provider 3starsnet.be and they support
    MWI. When I have voicemail, my Fritz!box indicates that properly (blinking
    LED, and indicated in the webinterface).

    However, when I delete the voicemessage, the indication stays! It only goes
    away after a reset.

    So either there is a bug in the Fritz!box, or 3starsnet.be doesn't support
    it properly.

    Has anyone got this working properly?

    Thanks...
    John Miller, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Brian A

    John Miller Guest

    > Am I right in thinking that the usual way to pass MWI to a POT
    > is to stutter the dialtone, just like BT does?

    The Fritz!box sends a short ringtone with a special caller-ID to the phones
    (when MWI is activated), so they indicate a missed call. When you check
    that missed call, it has a "caller-id" that indicates the number of stored
    voicemails and faxes.
    John Miller, Aug 5, 2007
  5. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:07:27 +0200, "John Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >> Am I right in thinking that the usual way to pass MWI to a POT
    >> is to stutter the dialtone, just like BT does?

    On a Sipura box there is a stuttered dial tone and a voicemail symbol
    on the phone.

    >The Fritz!box sends a short ringtone with a special caller-ID to the phones
    >(when MWI is activated), so they indicate a missed call. When you check
    >that missed call, it has a "caller-id" that indicates the number of stored
    >voicemails and faxes.

    I don't get anything at all. No ring, no indication at all that there
    has been a message. I have the latest firmware installed too.

    ---

    Brian A, Aug 5, 2007
  6. Brian A

    John Miller Guest

    > I don't get anything at all. No ring, no indication at all that there
    > has been a message. I have the latest firmware installed too.

    Dit you activate MWI in your Fritz!box setting?
    If so, maybe your SIP provider doesn't support MWI?
    John Miller, Aug 5, 2007
  7. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 22:07:43 +0200, "John Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >> I don't get anything at all. No ring, no indication at all that there
    >> has been a message. I have the latest firmware installed too.

    >Dit you activate MWI in your Fritz!box setting?
    >If so, maybe your SIP provider doesn't support MWI?

    If you read the original post you will see I have considered all of
    that. I think it might be a firmware problem.
    ---

    Brian A, Aug 6, 2007
  8. Brian A

    John Miller Guest

    > If you read the original post you will see I have considered all of
    > that. I think it might be a firmware problem.

    Sorry, I missed that.

    I tried this with:

    - an International 7050 with 14.04.26
    - an International 7050 with 14.04.33
    - a German 7170 with 29.04.37

    (so all have the latest firmware)

    and all three indicate MWI properly. So I don't think it's a firmware
    problem. However, as I indicated earlier, the MWI indication doesn't go
    away here, when the message is erased.
    John Miller, Aug 6, 2007
  9. Brian A

    John Miller Guest

    > - an International 7050 with 14.04.26
    > - an International 7050 with 14.04.33
    > - a German 7170 with 29.04.37

    Typo: the middle one should be "a German 7050 with 14.04.33" ...
    John Miller, Aug 6, 2007