FritzBox Help - Identification, Selection and International Flashability?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Mar 30, 2011.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    I have been considering ATAs of various order, types and descriptions for
    some time. A fair period of reviewing, has concluded, that given key
    requirements of supporting multiple simultaneous accounts and at least one
    "fully programmable" or "bi-directional" FXO port (as well, obviously, as
    one or more FXS ports), together with a wish of some potential longevity of
    operation and (ongoing) support, that apparently, in all, I am just about
    best off only going (really) for a FritzBox.

    To that end, and not feeling inclined toward, or rather extending the budget
    to a, full international or UK specification, customised or configured, new
    unit, that a German eBay one is the order of the day.

    Given the above, the key issue(s):

    - Need (minimum): 1 * FXO, 1 * FXS, (correct Annex xDSL), (re-)flashable
    to international (English) firmware
    - Nice / Extra / Ideal: NAS (USB network storage option), multiple FXS,
    wireless

    Hence, since I am actually perfectly happy to accept or consider a simple
    (no wireless) xDSL modem router with only 1 each of FXS and FXO ports, I do
    not (so far as I understand or believe) need a 7xxx series model.

    If anyone can kindly elucidate, guide, help or indicate which models would
    fit within this category, categorisation or criteria, that would be most
    helpful.

    In short, (something like) a simple "summary table" would be fantastic
    (NOTE: the example entries below are MY GUESSES - NOT RIGHT [or not
    necessarily right - lol!]), e.g. :

    NOTE: FXO essential, needs to be able to flash to international English
    firmware and support relevant xDSL annex (i.e. over POTS / PSTN rather than
    ISDN[!]).

    Model | xDSL | # FXO | # FXS | English Flash |
    WLAN

    (e.g.) 7170 ADSL2+ 1 3 Yes
    Yes
    (e.g.) 5050 ADSL2+ 1 1 No?
    No?

    etc.

    Potential models I have reviewed or considered, (which appear to support the
    minimum requirements above - but I do not know, and these are examples which
    I would dearly appreciate guidance about the criteria [generally, mine, and
    as above as well], and suitability, compatibility, etc.) for example,
    include, 7xxx series (all of?), 5050, 7113 (etc. custom - often 1&1 branded,
    different box or packaging, etc.), 2000 (1668), 5012 (custom? - 1&1, etc.),
    2030, etc., etc.

    Example listings include:

    5050 -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fritzbox-Avm-...puter_Peripherie_Netzwerk&hash=item3a6494e939
    7113 -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRITZ-Box-FON...42?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item230f8331b6
    2000 (1668) -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVM-FRITZ-Box...46?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4cf610cd9e
    5012 -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVM-FRITZ-Box..._Peripherie_Netzwerk&hash=item27b9c16295#shId
    2030 -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fritz-Box-203...puter_Peripherie_Netzwerk&hash=item58882f9856

    etc.

    Thanks in advance (greatly and very much). All input and response greatly
    welcomed and appreciated (any and all guidance welcome).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader
    News Reader, Mar 30, 2011

  2. News Reader

    openaf Guest

    Le 30/03/2011 13:54, News Reader a écrit :
> [...]
    > 2030, etc., etc.
    >

    > Example listings include:
    >
    > 5050 -
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fritzbox-Avm-...puter_Peripherie_Netzwerk&hash=item3a6494e939
    > 7113 -
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRITZ-Box-FON...42?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item230f8331b6
    > 2000 (1668) -
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVM-FRITZ-Box...46?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4cf610cd9e
    > 5012 -
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVM-FRITZ-Box..._Peripherie_Netzwerk&hash=item27b9c16295#shId
    > 2030 -
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fritz-Box-203...puter_Peripherie_Netzwerk&hash=item58882f9856
    >
    > etc.
    >

    > Thanks in advance (greatly and very much). All input and response greatly
    > welcomed and appreciated (any and all guidance welcome).

    Hello News Reader,
    I'm giving just partial answers to your questions.
    I'm owner of an 7170 International Annex A, with actual firmware
    58.04.82, since three years to my full satisfaction until any months.
    I sometimes cannot make outbound calls(sip and landline), I hear a
    continuous sound. It's simple to fix it, by making a hard reboot or to
    make an inbound call, for example with a cell phone. After many
    discussions with AVM helpdesk, they say it will disappear by starting
    from the factory settings and entering all data manually. It worked, for
    a week...
    I'm also owner of two german FB 7170 AnnexB, one AVM branded and one
    1&1, both have been flashed two years ago to Annex A with a firmware I
    found on an italian website. Because of there unofficial firmware, they
    never could be updated. With the consequence that there are no telephony
    problems thanks to the older firmware.
    Those telephony problems are known but apparently not really solved, you
    can read about it from time to time in the dutch newsgroup xs4all.voip.
    The problem is that it is not possible to turn back to a former firmware.
    You certainly know the RuKernelTool that allow you to flash to Annex A
    the 7140, 7270 and probably other FB:
    http://www.rainerullrich.de/ruKernelTool.html

    --
    Cordialement,