    hours to go). Not a bad saving if you don't need the ADSL modem part of it.

    Can anyone corroborate/contradict this?

    --
    Herman, Mar 14, 2007

  2. Herman

    Nigel Guest

    Hi,

    Does any one knows whether you can do an English firmware update on a German
    Fritzbox??- so you get the English menus??

    Has any one done it?

    Thanks

    Nigel

    --

    Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
    www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk
    Nigel, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Herman

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:00:48 +0100, "Nigel" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Does any one knows whether you can do an English firmware update on a German
    >Fritzbox??- so you get the English menus??
    >
    >Has any one done it?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Nigel

    I don't have one but afaik it is possible to reflash from A to B or B
    to A.. However, that might invalidate the warranty.

    The difference between A and B is the range of spectrum. That used
    for 'A' is wider than that for 'B'. Thus the degredation for 'A' is
    will be less than 'B' over a given distance, or, put another way 'A'
    is better than 'B' if the subscriber is a long way from the exchange.
    In a nutshell we have the best system.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 14, 2007
  4. Herman

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:00:48 +0100, "Nigel" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Does any one knows whether you can do an English firmware update on a
    >>German
    >>Fritzbox??- so you get the English menus??
    >>
    >>Has any one done it?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Nigel

    > I don't have one but afaik it is possible to reflash from A to B or B
    > to A.. However, that might invalidate the warranty.
    >
    > The difference between A and B is the range of spectrum. That used
    > for 'A' is wider than that for 'B'. Thus the degredation for 'A' is
    > will be less than 'B' over a given distance, or, put another way 'A'
    > is better than 'B' if the subscriber is a long way from the exchange.
    > In a nutshell we have the best system.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Assuming you don't want to change Annex type at the same time as language, I
    notice that there is an English version of Annex B, which I guess should
    work AND keep your original warranty, but it would be best to check with
    them first as the version numbers are different.
    Herman, Mar 14, 2007
  5. "Herman" <> schreef in bericht
    > Something interesting I just learnt in be.telecom (assuming there is
    > nobody here who knows differently).
    >
    > It was stated that the Annex A/B refers to the style of ADSL. This means
    > that you can use Annex B devices in England so long as you have either a
    > cable modem or separate ADSL modem or router with ethernet port.
    >
    > The reason why this could be interesting to some people here is that the
    > prices of Annex B in Germany are far lower, and there are many more
    > second-hand ones too (7050 on e-bay.de yesterday for 53 Euros + p&p with
    > two hours to go). Not a bad saving if you don't need the ADSL modem part
    > of it.
    >
    > Can anyone corroborate/contradict this?
    >
    > --

    You are 100% correct, it is possible to bypass the ADSL modem part of a
    FritzBox and connect it via LAN to the network. In fact, you than have a
    super ATA.

    There is a disadvantage, though. The FritzBox connects VoIP when using the
    ADSL modem with the outside of the network. No firewall/NAT problems and QoS
    (Quality of Service) works. Behind your (cable) modem/router, you depend on
    the mercy of the modem/router. Most problems can be solved bu using a STUN
    server. This option only appears in the FritzBox when using it as an ATA.

    The German FritzBoxes are speaking German. Not many people in England. do.

    Reflashing from German to English is possible for a number of FritzBoxes.
    But it is not so easy. I have done it many times, but I do not want to
    explain how because I am sure that many persons will loose their boxes if
    something goes wrong. In fact, I better say "when" than "if". And if
    (errrrr.... when) you do that, you loose your 5 yr warranty. In fact, the
    box can still function as a nice paperweight. FritzBoxes have different
    colours (red, blue, black), so be sure to select one in the colour you
    prefer :).

    But if (when?) you do it anyway, than change the Annex B to A at the same
    time and use it in England as an Annex A ADSL modem. According to the
    manufacturer, this would not be possible because of a difference in
    frequency spectrum. I am not so sure that this is true, to me it seems that
    the hardware is identical and I never experienced any problems with modding
    B to A.

    Grz Henk van Andel
    Henk van Andel, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Herman

    massinge

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hello! this is my first post in this Forum!
    This is a simple procedure to change your fritz box wlan Annex B in annex A:

    Connect your PC to the Fritzbox via the Ethernet (LAN cable) and set the IP address of your PC's LAN adapter to 192.168.178.XXX (XXX between 003 and 253), the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway interface to 192.168.178.1 (if it doesn't work after several trials try 192.168.178.2)
    IMPORTANT:
    *Make sure your LAN adapter has a fixed IP address, e.g. 192.168.178.10
    *Disable any IP-filtering or firewall
    *Diasble any other LAN adapters
    *Make sure you are accessing the LAN directly (not through an application software)

    On your Windows XP PC open the "network connections" folder in one window and a "COMMAND" console ("DOS window") in another window. Enter the following instruction in the COMMAND console (do not press ENTER, just hold this comand line ready):

    ftp 192.168.178.1

    Now plug in the power supply and watch the network adapter status to change from "network cable removed" to "connection established" (3-4 seconds). That is exactly the time, when the ENTER key must be pressed.

    Try and watch this change a few times before you press ENTER so you get a feeling for the time it takes. You may as well watch the LAN adapter symbol in the in the taskbar. This works with most WindowsXP installations but not with all.

    If the Fritzbox does not react on the ftp command enter CTRL-C to cancel it and re-try the above with 192.168.178.2. If this doesn't work enter the "arp -d" command to clear the MAC table before starting ftp. Also, setting your LAN adapter to 10 Mbit/s Half Duplex may be a good idea (AVM recommends it). Repeat this a few times - use the arrow-up key to repeat command lines.

    It is also a good idea to start the recovery program (see below) first. It won't work but it will scan the Ethernet connection and set up your LAN card the right way.

    If you see the FTP login prompt enter "adam2" as user and password.

    220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready.

    530 Please login with USER and PASS.
    USER adam2
    331 Password required for adam2.
    PASS adam2
    230 User adam2 successfully logged in.

    Now enter the following commands

    for the standard Fritz!Box Fon WLAN model:
    quote SETENV annex,A
    quote SETENV HWRevision,66
    quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_WLAN
    quote SETENV firmware_version,avme
    quote SETENV firmware_info,08.04.26

    for the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 model:
    quote SETENV annex,A
    quote SETENV HWRevision,77
    quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexA
    quote SETENV firmware_version,avme
    quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.26

    Changing to Annex B would be respectively:
    quote SETENV annex,B
    quote SETENV HWRevision,76
    quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexB
    quote SETENV firmware_version,avme
    quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.15

    You can copy and paste all 4 lines at once (you can even include the login sequence and the bye command). Use the right-hand mouse button to paste. Enter "bye" when you're done. Don't disconnect the power line, you are still connected to Adam2.

    Now run the recovery program, e.g. the one from ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox....over-image.exe from AVM (ask me if it's no longer there).

    Enter fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe at your command console. If anything goes wrong just repeat it (up to 10 times, keep the power supply connected).

    AVM recommends to use the red LAN cable for firmware updates/recoveries as it is quite short (and shielded).

    BTW, you can start the recover-image.exe program from the command console. You can even copy and paste the whole batch of commands including the recovery in one step. Only if the recovery program finishes successfully the box will reboot, otherwise it will stay connected.

    Have fun!

    (updated 19.01.2007)

    Bye
    massinge, Apr 4, 2007