Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 - Annex A versus Annex B

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Philippe Deleye, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Hi

    I bought a german Fritz!Box 7050 (www.avm.de) from e-Bay Germany.
    This is ADSL modem + router + WLAN + Voip + PBX, with analogue and ISDN
    connections (both extrernal/internal)

    In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
    B"
    Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
    conncetions are Annex A
    This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
    lines

    Does anyobe know if there is a Firmware available to convert the Fritz!Box
    form Annex B to Annex A ??
    or is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update ??

    The AVM helpdesk is not willing to help me, as they do not give support
    outside Germany (at least not for the german box; there is a different
    international version I believe ..)

    rgds
    Philippe
    Philippe Deleye, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Philippe Deleye

    Eliodeo Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:11:45 +0100, "Philippe Deleye"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyobe know if there is a Firmware available to convert the Fritz!Box
    >form Annex B to Annex A ??
    >or is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update ??

    Here you go:
    http://www.vocesuip.com/viewtopic.php?t=13

    it's in italian but it should be easy to find the file that upgrades
    the FritzBox to AnnexA.

    To install it, go to the firmware upgrade menu in the FritzBox.

    Ciao
    Eliodeo, Dec 20, 2005

  3. On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:11:45 +0100, "Philippe Deleye"
    <> wrote:

    >In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
    >B"
    >Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
    >conncetions are Annex A
    >This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
    >lines

    I think you mean the German box can only be used with ADSL over ISDN
    which is Annex B wherever you are.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Phil Thompson wrote:
    >>In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
    >>B"
    >>Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
    >>conncetions are Annex A
    >>This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
    >>lines

    > I think you mean the German box can only be used with ADSL over ISDN
    > which is Annex B wherever you are.

    The german versions of the avm boxes can also be used with Annex A (you
    can easily switch this via the telnet interface). It works, but might
    not (here in Germany it is quite tricky to find an Annex A connection,
    but lots of users have been reported to run the boxes on an Annex A
    connection).

    The differences in the Fritz!Box hardware (Annex B to A) are different
    filter circuits in hardware, so the software will not help you there.

    There is some information available (partly in English), please read
    http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240850#240850

    Frank
    --
    we are all but packets in the internet of life...
    Frank Ochmann, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Philippe Deleye

    alexd Guest

    Philippe Deleye wrote:

    > is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update
    > ??

    > The AVM helpdesk is not willing to help me, as they do not give support
    > outside Germany (at least not for the german box; there is a different
    > international version I believe ..)

    I think you've answered your own question!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:26:54 up 13 days, 7:02, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.30, 0.16
    alexd, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Philippe Deleye

    Eliodeo Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:02:53 +0100, Frank Ochmann <>
    wrote:

    >The differences in the Fritz!Box hardware (Annex B to A) are different
    >filter circuits in hardware, so the software will not help you there.
    >
    >There is some information available (partly in English), please read
    >http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240850#240850
    >
    >Frank

    Sorry to disappoint you, but I use a Fritzbox Wlan Fon 7050 in Italy
    and I changed it from Annex B to Annex A through a simple software
    upgrade.

    Cheers
    Eliodeo, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Philippe Deleye

    Chris Guest

    Philippe Deleye wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I bought a german Fritz!Box 7050 (www.avm.de) from e-Bay Germany.
    > This is ADSL modem + router + WLAN + Voip + PBX, with analogue and ISDN
    > connections (both extrernal/internal)
    >
    > In Germany, it seems that the ADSL protocoll is allways "ITU G.992.1 Annex
    > B"
    > Whereas is Belgium ADSL over ISDN is Annex B, and ADSL over analogue
    > conncetions are Annex A
    > This means that the german Box can only be used with ADSL over analogue PSTN
    > lines
    >
    > Does anyobe know if there is a Firmware available to convert the Fritz!Box
    > form Annex B to Annex A ??
    > or is this a hardware issue, that can not be solved by a Firmware update ??

    According to the manual (p. 20), you can connect the Box to either an
    analogue (Annex A) or an ISDN (Annex B) phone line without having to
    change anything (an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter is included).
    Chris, Dec 22, 2005
  8. Philippe Deleye

    Rebroad Guest

    I recently bought an Annex B ADSL modem on ebay, and was also worried
    that it would not work in the UK, which is Annex A, but I took a risk,
    bought it, and it does work. If you use a POTS splitter than you should
    also be able to use the telephone to make phone calls at the same time
    as using the internet.

    Hope this helps! Let me know how you get on.

    Ed
    Rebroad, Dec 22, 2005
  9. > Sorry to disappoint you, but I use a Fritzbox Wlan Fon 7050 in Italy
    > and I changed it from Annex B to Annex A through a simple software
    > upgrade.

    If you would read my post correctly I said that it would work :) But,
    depending on certain conditions, it just might not.

    AVM builds different 7050 boxes for Annex A and Annex B.

    FO

    --
    we are all but packets in the internet of life...
    Frank Ochmann, Dec 22, 2005
  10. Chris schrieb:
    > Philippe Deleye wrote:

    > According to the manual (p. 20), you can connect the Box to either an
    > analogue (Annex A) or an ISDN (Annex B) phone line without having to
    > change anything (an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter is included).

    Wrong. (On german models) you can connect either to analogue or ISDN,
    but *both* with Annex B (AFAIK there is no Annex A in Germany).

    Again: the filter circuits on the "line" side are different between
    Annex A and B (frequency range). The firmware supports both, but the
    hardware is different.

    Philippe, just try it, you cannot damage anything. All the information
    you need is available in this thread and in the other thread you started
    in the german newsgroup!

    Frank
    --
    we are all but packets in the internet of life...
    Frank Ochmann, Dec 22, 2005
  11. "Frank Ochmann" <> schreef in bericht
    > Chris schrieb:

    > Philippe, just try it, you cannot damage anything. All the information
    > you need is available in this thread and in the other thread you started
    > in the german newsgroup!

    Thanks a lot ...
    I did indeed a cross-posting, but because of the language I did not want to
    post the same thread on both newsgroups ;-)
    Anyway, I now understand the situation perfectly..
    Bottom line:
    * Altough not supported by AVM, many users reported to have converted their
    "Annex B" Box to "Annex A" with a modified firmware. It may work
    * I also understoop that (original) Annex A Boxes should *n o t* be
    converted to Annex B, as this may cause problemas at the ISP exchange

    Thanks a lot for ther help
    Philippe
    Philippe Deleye, Dec 22, 2005
  12. "Eliodeo" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:02:53 +0100, Frank Ochmann <>
    > wrote:

    > Sorry to disappoint you, but I use a Fritzbox Wlan Fon 7050 in Italy
    > and I changed it from Annex B to Annex A through a simple software
    > upgrade.

    Eliodeo
    Many thanks for the "good news"
    I wil certainly try.
    Personnaly, I have a ISDN line with DSL Annex B, and my (german) Fritz!Box
    7050 works perfect
    But a friend has a PSTN line (Annex A) and did not get his Box working....
    now we wil try the fix !!!
    Many Thanks to all !!!

    Philippe
    BE
    Philippe Deleye, Dec 22, 2005
  13. Philippe Deleye

    pateutz

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Standards for Multirate SHDSL

    The main body of Recommendation G.991.2 defines the interworking specification that is independent of any regional requirements. Annex A of G.991.2 defines requirements and objectives that are specific to North America; similarly, Annex B of G.991.2 defines requirements and objectives that are specific to the European community.

    Nice !
    pateutz, Nov 13, 2006