FRITZ!Box Fon ata

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Adrian, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Hi, does anyone here have experience of running the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA
    without a standard telephone line. The unit in question is the ATA
    PBX that has no ADSL 'modem'.

    FRITZ!Box Fon ATA in VoIP only mode and ignore the unit's provision
    for a standard 'phone line.

    However, yesterday I located the manual for said ATA on-line @
    http://www.voipsolutions.be/documents/Manual/Manual_FRITZBox_Fon_ata.pdf
    It states, on page 12, that a 'phone line is required.

    Before I spend nearly GBP90.00 on this unit I want to be sure it will
    work in a VoIP only environment. Happily, I have not had a telephone
    line for nearly for years! :)

    So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you operate it without
    a 'phone line? Is this a problem? Are you otherwise happy with it?

    Many thanks

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 12, 2007

  2. "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > Before I spend nearly GBP90.00 on this unit I want to be sure it will
    > work in a VoIP only environment. Happily, I have not had a telephone
    > line for nearly for years! :)

    You should not spent GBP90.00 for a device that only costs 95.00 EUR
    overhere ...
    (= GBP60.00 at current exchange rates)
    On www.ebey.de you will find many offers for 25-30 EUR (in most cases
    un-used devices). And because no ADSL modem, there are no Annex A/Annex B
    issues to worry about)

    > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you operate it without
    > a 'phone line? Is this a problem? Are you otherwise happy with it?

    As far as I can see, the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA has exactly the same feautures as
    the well-known FritzBoxes, apart from the fact that there is no built-in DSL
    Modem, therefore need to be operated behind a Modem (Cable or ADSL) or
    behind a Router.
    Therefore I'm 99.99% sure that this device can be operated WITHOUT a phone
    line. Just set-up one of your VOIP lines as the "main phone number" to force
    all calls going trough this (default) Voip account (unless overrided by the
    Dial Plan settings)

    rgds
    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Adrian

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > FRITZ!Box Fon ATA in VoIP only mode and ignore the unit's provision
    > for a standard 'phone line.

    I didn't have a phone line connected to mine when I first installed it
    and it worked fine for VoIP, although I do have a PSTN line connected to
    it now.

    My model is the Fritzbox fon ATA 1020.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Adrian

    acdeag Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, does anyone here have experience of running the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA
    > without a standard telephone line. The unit in question is the ATA
    > PBX that has no ADSL 'modem'.

    > FRITZ!Box Fon ATA in VoIP only mode and ignore the unit's provision
    > for a standard 'phone line.
    >
    > However, yesterday I located the manual for said ATA on-line @
    > http://www.voipsolutions.be/documents/Manual/Manual_FRITZBox_Fon_ata.pdf
    > It states, on page 12, that a 'phone line is required.
    >
    > Before I spend nearly GBP90.00 on this unit I want to be sure it will
    > work in a VoIP only environment. Happily, I have not had a telephone
    > line for nearly for years! :)
    >
    > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you operate it without
    > a 'phone line? Is this a problem? Are you otherwise happy with it?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Adrian

    I am currently using it without a phone line as my line is not working (I
    have cable broadband).

    acdeag, Apr 12, 2007
  5. "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, does anyone here have experience of running the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA
    > without a standard telephone line. The unit in question is the ATA
    > PBX that has no ADSL 'modem'.

    > FRITZ!Box Fon ATA in VoIP only mode and ignore the unit's provision
    > for a standard 'phone line.
    >
    > However, yesterday I located the manual for said ATA on-line @
    > http://www.voipsolutions.be/documents/Manual/Manual_FRITZBox_Fon_ata.pdf
    > It states, on page 12, that a 'phone line is required.
    >
    > Before I spend nearly GBP90.00 on this unit I want to be sure it will
    > work in a VoIP only environment. Happily, I have not had a telephone
    > line for nearly for years! :)
    >
    > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you operate it without
    > a 'phone line? Is this a problem? Are you otherwise happy with it?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Adrian

    You can use a FBF ATA wiothout telephone line.
    You can do this with any FritzBox Fon, by connecting to LAN and 'bypassing'
    the ADSL modem part.
    The FBF Classic (the first/simplest model) does that for less mony than an
    ATA!

    Grz Henk van Andel

    Henk van Andel, Apr 12, 2007
  6. Adrian

    dg Guest

    On 12 Apr, 17:18, "Adrian" <> wrote:
    > Hi, does anyone here have experience of running the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA
    > without a standard telephone line. The unit in question is the ATA
    > PBX that has no ADSL 'modem'.

    > FRITZ!Box Fon ATA in VoIP only mode and ignore the unit's provision
    > for a standard 'phone line.
    >
    > However, yesterday I located the manual for said ATA on-line @http://www.voipsolutions.be/documents/Manual/Manual_FRITZBox_Fon_ata.pdf
    > It states, on page 12, that a 'phone line is required.
    >
    > Before I spend nearly GBP90.00 on this unit I want to be sure it will
    > work in a VoIP only environment. Happily, I have not had a telephone
    > line for nearly for years! :)
    >
    > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you operate it without
    > a 'phone line? Is this a problem? Are you otherwise happy with it?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Adrian

    I run this unit without a phone line, no problems.

    You just essentially, don't plug anything in to the phone socket.
    Easy !

    dg

    dg, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    On Apr 12, 2:44 pm, "dg" <> wrote:

    > I run this unit without a phone line, no problems.
    >
    > You just essentially, don't plug anything in to the phone socket.
    > Easy !
    >
    > dg- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you all!

    That answers my question. All I need now is a retailer who will sell
    me a UK version of the Fritz!box fon ATA 1020 and ship it to the US at
    a reasonable price. :)

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 13, 2007
  8. Adrian

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:41:01 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
    <> wrote:

    >"Adrian" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Before I spend nearly GBP90.00 on this unit I want to be sure it will
    >> work in a VoIP only environment. Happily, I have not had a telephone
    >> line for nearly for years! :)

    >You should not spent GBP90.00 for a device that only costs 95.00 EUR
    >overhere ...
    >(= GBP60.00 at current exchange rates)
    >On www.ebey.de you will find many offers for 25-30 EUR (in most cases
    >un-used devices). And because no ADSL modem, there are no Annex A/Annex B
    >issues to worry about)

    You are right to highlight the difference we have to pay, as usual, in
    rip off UK. However, it is important to note that there are important
    differences between the Annex B devices in Germany and the Annex A
    devices in the UK. Fine to buy from outside the UK if you can be sure
    you are buying the correct (Annex A) version of your chosen Fritzbox.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Apr 13, 2007
  9. Adrian

    Guest

    > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you operate it without
    > a 'phone line? Is this a problem? Are you otherwise happy with it?

    My Fritz Fon ATA works well without phone line.
    I bought it on Ebay from Germany. I was used and paid 48 euros.

    C.

    , Apr 13, 2007
  10. Adrian

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you
    > > operate it without a 'phone line? Is this a problem?
    > > Are you otherwise happy with it?
    > >

    > My Fritz Fon ATA works well without phone line.
    > I bought it on Ebay from Germany. I was used and paid 48
    > euros.

    What were you used for..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 13, 2007
  11. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    On Apr 12, 4:34 pm, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > > So, does anyone have the FRITZ!Box Fon ATA, do you
    > > > operate it without a 'phone line? Is this a problem?
    > > > Are you otherwise happy with it?

    > > My Fritz Fon ATA works well without phone line.
    > > I bought it on Ebay from Germany. I was used and paid 48
    > > euros.

    > What were you used for..?
    >
    > Ivor

    :)

    Moreover, if one buys from outside the UK, can one be sure that the
    operating voltages, ringing, speech, etc., are correct for UK
    telephones.

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 13, 2007
  12. Adrian

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > Moreover, if one buys from outside the UK, can one be
    > sure that the operating voltages, ringing, speech, etc.,
    > are correct for UK telephones.

    Not relevant for ATA's, most if not all have regional settings.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 13, 2007
  13. Adrian

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Moreover, if one buys from outside the UK, can one be
    >> sure that the operating voltages, ringing, speech, etc.,
    >> are correct for UK telephones.

    > Not relevant for ATA's, most if not all have regional settings.

    Not relevant for ATA's, most, if not all, have completely programmable
    regional settings.

    Jono, Apr 13, 2007
  14. "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > You are right to highlight the difference we have to pay, as usual, in
    > rip off UK. However, it is important to note that there are important
    > differences between the Annex B devices in Germany and the Annex A
    > devices in the UK. Fine to buy from outside the UK if you can be sure
    > you are buying the correct (Annex A) version of your chosen Fritzbox.

    The OP was talking about a FRITZ!Box Fon ata.
    Annex A / Annex B is irrelevant for this device, as it does not have the
    ADSL Modem on board

    Philippe Deleye, Apr 13, 2007
  15. Adrian

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:13:23 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> You are right to highlight the difference we have to pay, as usual, in
    >> rip off UK. However, it is important to note that there are important
    >> differences between the Annex B devices in Germany and the Annex A
    >> devices in the UK. Fine to buy from outside the UK if you can be sure
    >> you are buying the correct (Annex A) version of your chosen Fritzbox.

    >The OP was talking about a FRITZ!Box Fon ata.
    >Annex A / Annex B is irrelevant for this device, as it does not have the
    >ADSL Modem on board

    Ah, sorry, I should have read the post properly.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Apr 13, 2007
  16. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    On Apr 12, 11:42 pm, Jono <> wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > >> Moreover, if one buys from outside the UK, can one be
    > >> sure that the operating voltages, ringing, speech, etc.,
    > >> are correct for UK telephones.

    > > Not relevant for ATA's, most if not all have regional settings.

    > Not relevant for ATA's, most, if not all, have completely programmable
    > regional settings.

    That is great news. I will look for a continental sale on ebay. I
    might if consider the model with bypassable ADSL.

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 13, 2007