Fritz!Box Fon anyone?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Alan Foster, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    Hi

    I havn't seen a single post yet about the Fritz!Box Fon. I got one to
    try, but calls made through it - even straight to the POTS - suffer from
    echo. There also seems to be a little attenuation, but it's mainly the
    echo I object to.

    I have gone back to the BugeTone phone. The quality of that is superb,
    I'm just disappointed that I can't integrate my DECT phones into VoIP.

    I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
    enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
    service.

    If anyone has any knowledge on how to get the FritzBox to do a decent job,
    I would be grateful. If anyone can catagorically state from personal
    experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I want,
    then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at least I can feel
    good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Alan Foster

    Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:53 +0100, "Alan Foster" <>
    wrote:

    >I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
    >enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
    >service.

    To which provider are you are you attributing your above statement
    Alan they aren't all tarred with the same brush you know .
    > If anyone can catagorically state from personal
    >experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I want,
    >then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at least I can feel
    >good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

    This box of junk has you call it wasn't supplied by a German sip
    provider by any chance !.

    , Jul 10, 2005

  3. > I havn't seen a single post yet about the Fritz!Box Fon.

    Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany it
    is.
    Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
    see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie

    > If anyone has any knowledge on how to get the FritzBox to do a decent job,
    > I would be grateful. If anyone can catagorically state from personal
    > experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I want,
    > then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off)

    in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
    adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

    Philippe Deleye, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Alan Foster" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I havn't seen a single post yet about the Fritz!Box Fon. I got one to
    > try, but calls made through it - even straight to the POTS - suffer from
    > echo. There also seems to be a little attenuation, but it's mainly the
    > echo I object to.
    >
    > I have gone back to the BugeTone phone. The quality of that is superb,
    > I'm just disappointed that I can't integrate my DECT phones into VoIP.
    >
    > I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
    > enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
    > service.
    >
    > If anyone has any knowledge on how to get the FritzBox to do a decent
    > job, I would be grateful. If anyone can catagorically state from
    > personal experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me
    > what I want, then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at
    > least I can feel good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

    I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on. Apart
    from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it easy to configure..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Alan Foster

    Martin² Guest

    Alan Foster:
    >If anyone can catagorically state from personal experience that it is a
    >heap of junk

    Can't say that, but I can tell you I looked at it and rejected it as they
    haven't got a wireless version.
    I bought Zyxel 2602HWL, which has two VoIP ports that can dial on PSTN line
    and it works just fine. Unfortunately broadbandbuyer.co.uk now corrected
    their price, so isn't cheap anymore :-(
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 11, 2005
  6. Alan Foster

    Henry F III Guest

    Hello,

    The MAIN reason that it might NOT work ok is because you probably have the
    German version or an old UK version that ONLY has the g711 codec.

    In Germany AVM ONLY focusses on the g711 codec.

    The new UK version also has the g729 codec but you can ONLY use that on ONE
    channel at the same time.

    Please check http://www.xeloq.com

    They seem to know what they are talking about; and let me return my
    Fritz!Box through them......they have much more VoIP products and even
    suggested me to get some other brand. The Dutch website (Producten =
    Products) lists a lot.....but they got more --> just send them an email.

    Very good service at Xeloq. Prices also good and quality - very good. I am a
    customer there for 1,5 year.....

    Henry

    Henry F III, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Alan Foster" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I havn't seen a single post yet about the Fritz!Box Fon. I got one to
    >> try, but calls made through it - even straight to the POTS - suffer
    >> from echo. There also seems to be a little attenuation, but it's
    >> mainly the echo I object to.
    >>
    >> I have gone back to the BugeTone phone. The quality of that is superb,
    >> I'm just disappointed that I can't integrate my DECT phones into VoIP.
    >>
    >> I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent
    >> quite enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally
    >> reliable service.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any knowledge on how to get the FritzBox to do a decent
    >> job, I would be grateful. If anyone can catagorically state from
    >> personal experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me
    >> what I want, then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at
    >> least I can feel good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

    > I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on.
    > Apart from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it easy to
    > configure..?
    >
    > Ivor

    Well I've just received my Fritz!Box Fon this morning and after a little
    confusion I have set it up and it seems to work fine.

    The only gripe I have is the dial tone sounds like NU tone and the ringing
    tone sounds like busy tone. Is there a way to alter the tones..? I can't
    find it if there is. Apart from that I'm quite pleased.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Foster:
    >>If anyone can catagorically state from personal experience that it is a
    >>heap of junk

    > Can't say that, but I can tell you I looked at it and rejected it as
    > they haven't got a wireless version.
    > I bought Zyxel 2602HWL, which has two VoIP ports that can dial on PSTN
    > line and it works just fine. Unfortunately broadbandbuyer.co.uk now
    > corrected their price, so isn't cheap anymore :-(
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    According to their website, they will be bringing out a wireless version
    soon, if it isn't already available.

    See www.avm.de/en for info.

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:45:35 +0100, <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:53 +0100, "Alan Foster" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I know there are other options out there, but I have already spent quite
    >> enough on what is after all an immature and less than totally reliable
    >> service.

    > To which provider are you are you attributing your above statement
    > Alan they aren't all tarred with the same brush you know .

    I am not tarring anyone - I stand by what is a true statement about VoIP
    in general. I accept that there are some organisations that give better
    service than others, and there are some that offer better cost
    effectiveness. As with all technologies (mobile phones/broadband/DVD
    recorders etc) it takes some time for the product to mature and costs to
    stabilise to reasonable levels. The journey up to this point is not for
    the feint-hearted, or those that are not willing to invest some time and
    money without guarantee. This journey will only satisfy those who are
    willing to accept that there is still a way to go, and who are happy to
    make what positive contribution they can in order to help with the
    development and adoption of the technology.

    >> If anyone can catagorically state from personal
    >> experience that it is a heap of junk that will never give me what I
    >> want,
    >> then I will still be grateful (and p***ed off), as at least I can feel
    >> good about not wasting my time as well as my money!!

    > This box of junk has you call it wasn't supplied by a German sip
    > provider by any chance !.

    Read again - I did not say it was a box of junk - nor indeed did I say it
    was a heap of junk - I asked if anyone else could call it that from
    personal experience!

    Like most others on this newsgroup, I am only interested in
    positive/qualified/intelligent contributions for the benefit of
    like-minded people. I am too mature to join in your hate campaign. As
    Thumper said: 'If you can't say something nice - don't say anything at
    all'.

    Fortunately, I see that there are several positive replies to my post so
    if you will excuse me, I will move on to them now.

    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:18:03 +0200, Henry F III
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > The MAIN reason that it might NOT work ok is because you probably have
    > the
    > German version or an old UK version that ONLY has the g711 codec.
    >
    > In Germany AVM ONLY focusses on the g711 codec.
    >
    > The new UK version also has the g729 codec but you can ONLY use that on
    > ONE
    > channel at the same time.
    >
    > Please check http://www.xeloq.com
    >
    > They seem to know what they are talking about; and let me return my
    > Fritz!Box through them......they have much more VoIP products and even
    > suggested me to get some other brand. The Dutch website (Producten =
    > Products) lists a lot.....but they got more --> just send them an email.
    >
    > Very good service at Xeloq. Prices also good and quality - very good. I
    > am a
    > customer there for 1,5 year.....
    >
    > Henry

    Thanks for that Henry. I wondered if it might be a codec thing - it seems
    plausible.

    I will check out the link tonight.

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 11, 2005
  11. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:06:48 +0200, Philippe Deleye
    <> wrote:

    > Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany
    > it
    > is.
    > Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
    > see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie
    >
    > in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
    > adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

    Thanks Philippe. I guess Henry's post may have hit the nail on the head.
    If Germany and the UK are using different codecs, it could explain why
    Germans are happy and I am not.

    I shall do some more research into this.

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 11, 2005
  12. Alan Foster

    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:06:48 +0200, Philippe Deleye
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany
    >> it
    >> is.
    >> Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
    >> see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie
    >>
    >> in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
    >> adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

    > Thanks Philippe. I guess Henry's post may have hit the nail on the
    > head. If Germany and the UK are using different codecs, it could
    > explain why Germans are happy and I am not.
    >
    > I shall do some more research into this.

    What firmware version are you using, Alan..? Also do you have the regional
    settings set to UK..? The latest firmware is 06.03.62 which I downloaded
    and installed on my Fritz!Box today.

    It works fine here with Sipgate, as I said the only gripe I have is the
    dial tone and ringing tones generated by the unit are non-standard and
    until I get used to them (or figure out how to change them) will continue
    to confuse me..!

    If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me off the group, let me
    know your number if you want to chat.

    --
    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:02:52 +0100, Ivor Jones <>
    wrote:

    >> I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on.
    >> Apart from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it easy to
    >> configure..?

    Well I would have answered this question but you beat me to it!... see
    below:

    > Well I've just received my Fritz!Box Fon this morning and after a little
    > confusion I have set it up and it seems to work fine.

    See, you didn't need my answer did you? :)

    > The only gripe I have is the dial tone sounds like NU tone and the
    > ringing
    > tone sounds like busy tone. Is there a way to alter the tones..? I can't
    > find it if there is. Apart from that I'm quite pleased.

    If you download the manual from the AVM website, you will find it covers a
    bit more than the Installation Manual that comes in the box. The tones
    are shown graphically on page 12, however I don't think they can be
    changed.

    To tell the truth Ivor, I haven't really spent any time fiddling about
    with it. Because I found the echo so annoying, I discontinued messing with
    it until such time as I can get a solution. Haven't you noticed an
    echo?... is it just mine? I realise that due to a high frequency hearing
    loss, the echo has a greater effect on intellegability to me than it would
    others, but the fact is I just cannot work with it and need to find a
    solution if I am to be able to use it.

    Otherwise, It would seem to be a useful gaget! - I won't give up on it
    completely until I have exhausted all avenues towards a solution of the
    echo... cho... ho... o.

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 11, 2005
  14. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:36:45 +0100, Martin² <> wrote:

    > Can't say that, but I can tell you I looked at it and rejected it as they
    > haven't got a wireless version.
    > I bought Zyxel 2602HWL, which has two VoIP ports that can dial on PSTN
    > line
    > and it works just fine. Unfortunately broadbandbuyer.co.uk now corrected
    > their price, so isn't cheap anymore :-(

    Thanks Martin.

    Don't need wireless myself, and as I said in my post, I can't afford to
    throw any more money at it just yet. Nevertheless, your comments are
    appreciated and noted for future reference.

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:14:08 +0100, Ivor Jones <>
    wrote:

    > What firmware version are you using, Alan..? Also do you have the
    > regional
    > settings set to UK..? The latest firmware is 06.03.62 which I downloaded
    > and installed on my Fritz!Box today.

    Firmware up to date - downloaded from AVM... set to UK.

    I suspect that it might be a codec problem... unfortunately the pressure
    of work means I won't be able to play again until the weekend.

    > the only gripe I have is the
    > dial tone and ringing tones generated by the unit

    See my reply in other post.

    > If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me off the group, let me
    > know your number if you want to chat.

    I appreciate that Ivor. At the moment my IP phone and computer are in
    different parts of the house... believe me, there is some logic in this
    (and hence the reason I wanted the Fritz!Box in the first place!).

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 11, 2005
  16. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Alan Foster wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:02:52 +0100, Ivor Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get
    >>> on. Apart from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it
    >>> easy to configure..?

    > Well I would have answered this question but you beat me to it!...
    > see below:
    >

    >> Well I've just received my Fritz!Box Fon this morning and after a
    >> little confusion I have set it up and it seems to work fine.
    >>

    > See, you didn't need my answer did you? :)

    I wasn't expecting it to arrive so fast, the postal service is working
    better than usual ;-)

    >> The only gripe I have is the dial tone sounds like NU tone and the
    >> ringing
    >> tone sounds like busy tone. Is there a way to alter the tones..? I
    >> can't find it if there is. Apart from that I'm quite pleased.

    > If you download the manual from the AVM website, you will find it
    > covers a bit more than the Installation Manual that comes in the
    > box. The tones are shown graphically on page 12, however I don't
    > think they can be changed.

    That page just shows the pattern of the tones, it doesn't state their
    audio frequency. I am awaiting a reply from AVM to see if this can be
    addressed in a future firmware update.

    > To tell the truth Ivor, I haven't really spent any time fiddling
    > about with it. Because I found the echo so annoying, I discontinued
    > messing with it until such time as I can get a solution. Haven't
    > you noticed an echo?... is it just mine? I realise that due to a
    > high frequency hearing loss, the echo has a greater effect on
    > intellegability to me than it would others, but the fact is I just
    > cannot work with it and need to find a solution if I am to be able
    > to use it.

    No, definitely no echo. I have noticed a slight attenuation in received
    audio on calls, but not to the extent I can't use it.

    > Otherwise, It would seem to be a useful gaget! - I won't give up on
    > it completely until I have exhausted all avenues towards a solution
    > of the echo... cho... ho... o.

    I don't know then, as I definitely don't have an echo..!

    Anyway, get in touch if you need to.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005