    be wired up?

    Regards,

    Mike
    globaltravelr, Aug 17, 2006

  2. globaltravelr

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "globaltravelr" <> wrote in
    message
    news:
    > I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I
    > have read posts about both of the above pieces of
    > technology. Does the Fritz!Box basically do the same as
    > the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through different
    > providers dependant on number called and time of day, or
    > do I require both boxes?

    As I have no idea what an Orchid dialler does, I can't directly compare
    the two devices.

    > I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls
    > through my VoIP provider, but also route PSTN calls
    > through different suppliers, for example daytime calls
    > through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.

    You could do some of that with a Fritz!Box. You could specify that all
    mobile calls (numbers beginning 077, 078 or 079) be prefixed with 18185
    and be routed out on the POTS port. I don't believe it's possible to
    specify different rules at different times of day, though.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2006

  3. globaltravelr

    Graham Guest

    > As I have no idea what an Orchid dialler does, I can't directly compare
    > the two devices.

    The Orchid dialler is basically a "Mercury Smart Box" type of call router
    that can handle multiple providers.

    To the OP
    Many of us have found the cheapest way to make calls is via VoIP, including
    those calls that terminate on the PSTN.

    Mobile calls may well be a different matter however.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Thanks for the advice. However I'm not wanting to switch completely to
    VoIP, as I feel I can still get a better deal routing some calls
    through the PSTN line (ie. evening and weekend calls are free for me
    through Primus). I also am finding that Sipgate, who I'm with for
    VoIP, can still work out dearer when calling UK landlines, and for the
    record I'm not wanting to change providers as I have already have a
    phone number with Sipgate that I use.

    globaltravelr, Aug 17, 2006
  5. globaltravelr

    Brian A Guest

    On 17 Aug 2006 06:12:20 -0700, "globaltravelr"
    <> wrote:

    >I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I have read posts
    >about both of the above pieces of technology. Does the Fritz!Box
    >basically do the same as the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through
    >different providers dependant on number called and time of day, or do
    >I require both boxes?
    >
    >I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls through my VoIP
    >provider, but also route PSTN calls through different suppliers, for
    >example daytime calls through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.
    >
    >If I do require both both boxes, could someone advise how how it should
    >be wired up?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Mike

    The answer to you question is you probably won't need your Orchid
    dialler. Why probably? The Orchid dialler does one thing that the
    Fritzbox, afaik, doesn't do and that is provide a delay. If, for
    example, you were accessing 1899, or similar service, via an 0808
    number, it would be necessary to call the 0808 number, then delay a
    few seconds, then forward the number that had been dialled on the
    handset. As you can usually dial 1899, with the dialled number
    following immediately (from a BT line), the Fritzbox should be able to
    take care of that on its own.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Aug 17, 2006
  6. Thanks Brian,

    However, can the Fritz!Box handle time/day routing like the Orchid
    Dialler?

    globaltravelr, Aug 17, 2006
  7. globaltravelr

    Jono Guest

    > Thanks Brian,
    >
    > However, can the Fritz!Box handle time/day routing like the Orchid
    > Dialler?

    No, it cannot.

    You would decide which call types would go out on your PSTN line & set those
    up in the Fritz!Box, which you would plug in to the Orchid. Then, within the
    Orchid, set up your PSTN providers & time rules and plug the Orchid into the
    phone socket.
    Jono, Aug 17, 2006
  8. globaltravelr

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 17 Aug 2006, globaltravelr writes
    >I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I have read posts
    >about both of the above pieces of technology. Does the Fritz!Box
    >basically do the same as the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through
    >different providers dependant on number called and time of day, or do
    >I require both boxes?
    >
    >I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls through my VoIP
    >provider, but also route PSTN calls through different suppliers, for
    >example daytime calls through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.
    >
    >If I do require both both boxes, could someone advise how how it should
    >be wired up?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Mike

    If you want to route calls according to time of day (and day of week, if
    you want), then you will need the Orchid box. I don't know of an ATA
    that does time of day routing. I use and Orchid box and SPA3000
    together satisfactorily.

    David
    David Floyd, Aug 18, 2006
  9. David, thanks for that.

    So I guess you have your handset plugged into the Orchid, and the
    Orchid plugged into the ATA, and the ATA pluged into the phone socket.

    Two things: First, I presume this setup allows you to make and receive
    calls either through VoIP or PSTN as you wish, and those calls going
    through the PSTN will be routed accordingly with the Orchid;

    Second, I'm guessing that the SPA3000, like the Fritz!Box, uses a quick
    dial code of sorts to determine whether a call is to be routed via VoIP
    or PSTN. Does this not affect the information that the Orchid recieves?

    Thanks once again,

    Mike

    globaltravelr, Aug 18, 2006